Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/09/07/doug-field.html

FORD NAMES DOUG FIELD CHIEF ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY AND EMBEDDED SYSTEMS OFFICER

Ford F-150 Ford Hires Doug Field, Former Head of Apple's Car Project and Executive at Tesla doug-field-portrait-

• Doug Field joins Ford as chief advanced technology and embedded systems officer, reporting to President and CEO Jim Farley
  • Field will partner closely with Hau Thai-Tang, Ford’s chief product platform and operations officer, to create the next generation of Ford’s connected products and experiences at the foundation of the Ford+ growth plan
  • Field will lead Ford’s efforts to develop the next-gen Blue Oval Intelligence tech stack to deliver smart, connected vehicles and services that improve over time through constant updates. He and his team will be responsible for delivering delightful, intuitive and always-on experiences for customers
  • He will oversee the company’s Embedded Software and Hardware organization currently consisting of Vehicle Controls, Enterprise Connectivity, Features, Integration & Validation, Architecture & Platform, Driver Assistance Technology and Digital Engineering Tools
  • Most recently VP, Special Products, at Apple, Field also has held key leadership positions at Tesla and Segway
DEARBORN, Mich., Sept. 7, 2021 – Ford Motor Company today named Doug Field as the company’s chief advanced technology and embedded systems officer as it continues to advance its Ford+ growth plan.

Field joins Ford from Apple, where he served as VP, Special Projects. Before that, he was senior vice president, Engineering, at Tesla. His appointment to Ford is effective today, and he reports to Ford President and CEO Jim Farley.

“Doug is one of the world’s most respected engineering and product design leaders and has been a driving force behind breakthrough products across auto, tech and mobility, including at Apple, Tesla and Segway,” Farley said. “His talent and commitment to innovation that improves customers’ lives will be invaluable as we build out our Ford+ plan to deliver awesome products, always-on customer relationships and ever-improving user experiences. We are thrilled Doug chose to join Ford and help write the next amazing chapter of this great company.”

Field will lead Ford’s Embedded Software and Hardware organization currently consisting of Vehicle Controls, Enterprise Connectivity, Features, Integration & Validation, Architecture & Platform, Driver Assistance Technology and Digital Engineering Tools. This includes:

• Leading design, development and implementation of the Blue Oval Intelligence tech stack for Ford, Lincoln and Ford Pro products to create intuitive, always-on experiences for customers
  • Delivering customer-facing attributes, technologies and features, such as infotainment, navigation, driver-assist technology, connected services and vehicle cybersecurity
  • Developing scalable technology platforms that can be deployed across Ford global products
  • Leading and managing relationships with key technology partners and the digital developer ecosystem
  • Leading Ford Power-Up over-the-air updates to delight customers, improve quality and reduce costs
“I’m thrilled to be joining Ford as it embraces a transition to a new, complex and fascinating period in the auto industry,” Field said. “It will be a privilege to help Ford deliver a new generation of experiences built on the shift to electrification, software and digital experiences, and autonomy. I’m committed to helping the team make those experiences seamless, delightful and continually advancing over time.”

Field will partner closely with Hau Thai-Tang, Ford’s chief product platform and operations officer, to create the next generation of Ford’s connected products and experiences. Thai-Tang will continue to oversee Product Development, Purchasing, Design, Research & Advanced Engineering, EPLM / D-Ford, Advanced Manufacturing and Ford Ion Park.

“Doug’s track record of innovation and expertise with embedded systems will help Ford accelerate the development and implementation of our Blue Oval Intelligence tech stack,” Thai-Tang said. “I’m excited to partner with and learn from Doug as we bring our Ford+ plan to life.”

For Field, this marks a return to Ford where he began his career as a development engineer from 1987 to 1993.

“I’ve always felt a deep connection to Ford. Ford products have been in my life as long as I can remember – F-150s on my dad’s farm, a ’65 Continental picking us up at my wedding and my thrill when I discovered the brilliant elegance in the design of the Model T,” Field said. “I’m grateful for the opportunity to help the team build the next generation of iconic Ford vehicles and prepare Ford for the next hundred years.”

Field said his learnings and approach – developed over decades of product development across auto, mobility and tech sectors – will inform his work at Ford.

“There is a set of common principles that unite companies building world-changing products,” he said. “A fundamentals approach to engineering, grounded in physics. A relentless pursuit of excellence in everything they do. An integrated way of thinking about all the disciplines that come together when developing new products. And a sensitivity to design, and why customers fall in love with products and brands. I am lucky enough to have worked in teams and companies that embody these principles, and I know they will be a part of building great products and experiences at Ford.”
Sponsored

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
Thanks for posting this, Admin. My first thought when reading the announcement was for Hau Thai-Tang. If ever there was a guy who, despite his intelligence and experience, is overworked, it must be Thai-Tang. I don't know anything about Field but doubt Farley hires direct reports without great certainty in their talent. So my take: good news for future Ford products. (And Yo', Doug! Where's my Blue Cruise?!)

Jack

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
Lets hope he can figure out the carplay problem.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I think he will reinforce the notion that automobiles can be systems that are refined over time. Ford has set itself up for this model with the SYNC4 system and it’s OTA updates.

I believe bringing in Doug shows Ford’s commitment to this new business model by building a leadership team that understands this new model.
Sponsored