First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
Yeah there are applications where adhesive only attachment just isn't enough and this is one. Ventshades and emblems stay on through extreme outdoor heat cycles but this is using 3m tape and not glue. Glue eventually softens and gives out. I had to get away from glue on door edge guards because I learned the hard way that afer about 2 hot summers the glue would soften and ooze out.

Seemingly Random tangent but we have an older oven where the door panel fell off one day barely missing my wife's foot. It is an older model and looking at it I realized it's a crappy design where the only mechanical attachment is a tiny ledge it rests on at the bottom of the door frame when you slide it on. OTherwise it's held on there by a high temp glue. Once the glue gives out it slides off. It first gave out last year, then I cleaned it and re applied with a 600 degree-plus temp glue I found online designed for that purpose. We got another year out of it before it fell off again. I just had to do it again but my wife is ready to pull the trigger on a new oven over this. The glue's lifespan was finite and now each time I re apply it's a bit shorter. Whoever thought that fastening system was good was a real knucklehead. Same as the guy who thought gluing on that strip was a good long term solution.

OP
OP
crazywayne311

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SCrew 157" Agate Black Lariat 502A
Occupation
CTMO
yeah i need to find time to take it by ford.

Ambely

First Name
Amberly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Searching 2021 f150
Occupation
Environmental Attorney
well, i didnt expect to see this.
ford hard roll up tonneau was installed by ford in late 08/22

havent had an issue until yesterday and it isnt even hot yet. maybe 80°?

anyone else have this tonneau installed especially in the warmer states? (in VA)

can anyone recall who makes this for ford? Retrax?

looks like this may carry a 2 year warranty through ford but i need to call and find out how this should be handled. would the OE manufacturer warranty this as well?

to those who say why dont i just fix it...ok, maybe, but why should i fix a less than 1yr old $1200+ tonneau?
also i did try getting it to stick and not only does it look bad it looks to be already trying to come back off.
Tonneau.jpg
I have the same issue on my 2021 F150 King Ranch. I also live in Hampton Roads and have had no luck getting local dealers to honor any warrant.

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
Have the exact same cover on my 18 Sierra just branded differently. Same thing happened and I just pulled it off

Sponsored

OP
OP
crazywayne311

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTMO
I have the same issue on my 2021 F150 King Ranch. I also live in Hampton Roads and have had no luck getting local dealers to honor any warrant.
hey! nice to see someone local on the boards!
so you have the same issue?! man....well, i spoke with one dealership who said take it back to where i got it from since i bought the cover from them and they installed it...and its local. first available appt though was July 26th :(
we shall see. i guess at the end of the day i could clean off all the glue and just yank it off but i expected a more than 10 months out of the darn thing before it came unglued

Ambely

First Name
Amberly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Searching 2021 f150
Occupation
Environmental Attorney
Thanks. I have been lurking since early 2021 when I ordered my KR from Granger. I am suppose to meet with the accessory rep at a local dealer next week so we will see what they say. Ford customer care also mentioned going straight to TruXedo to see if they will replace it.

OP
OP
crazywayne311

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTMO
Thanks. I have been lurking since early 2021 when I ordered my KR from Granger. I am suppose to meet with the accessory rep at a local dealer next week so we will see what they say. Ford customer care also mentioned going straight to TruXedo to see if they will replace it.
which cover do you have? same as i do? the hard roll up? i thought BAK might have made the one i got. I made an appt to have it looked at. earliest appt was 7/26! crazy!

Ambely

First Name
Amberly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Searching 2021 f150
Occupation
Environmental Attorney
I have the hard roll up with the Ford emblem on it. I also thought it was made by Bak but when she pulled up the parts code she said it was made by Truxedo.

OP
OP
crazywayne311

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTMO
hmm wonder if mine is made by truxedo as well. wonder if there is anything on the cover.

Sponsored

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Wayne anyway you can call Bak and Truxedo and get a definitive answer on the manufacturer and from there, just say you want to trade for a different product that is better suited for your environment\climate?
Im looking at online pix of both manufacturers and it looks Bak to me.. but I could be wrong. Photo the clamp area, each manufacturer kinda has their own unique clamps\locks whatever you call it...

(edit)
Here is my Truxedo clamp\lock area
Ford F-150 Ford Hard Roll up Tonneau Issue 20230706_130544

Last edited:

Buddy

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Veteran
My cover started doing this about a year after I bought it. I tried every kind of glue I could think of and nothing worked. The felt would stay for a few days each time, only to hang down later. I took it back to my dealer and they replaced the cover with a new one (free of charge thanks to the two year warranty), now with plastic tabs where the felt is. The new one seems much better and eventually, those with the felt underneath, it will start hanging sooner or later.

OP
OP
crazywayne311

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTMO
I have the hard roll up with the Ford emblem on it. I also thought it was made by Bak but when she pulled up the parts code she said it was made by Truxedo.
hmm i may have to look into. wonder if ford can tell me.

Wayne anyway you can call Bak and Truxedo and get a definitive answer on the manufacturer and from there, just say you want to trade for a different product that is better suited for your environment\climate?
Im looking at online pix of both manufacturers and it looks Bak to me.. but I could be wrong. Photo the clamp area, each manufacturer kinda has their own unique clamps\locks whatever you call it...

Here is my Truxedo clamp\lock area
20230706_130544.jpg
i definitely dont have that lever/latch set up. its like a pvc coated wire.

My cover started doing this about a year after I bought it. I tried every kind of glue I could think of and nothing worked. The felt would stay for a few days each time, only to hang down later. I took it back to my dealer and they replaced the cover with a new one (free of charge thanks to the two year warranty), now with plastic tabs where the felt is. The new one seems much better and eventually, those with the felt underneath, it will start hanging sooner or later.
how long ago was that?! had this cover installed in August 22 so i'm wondering if the newer one with plastic tabs is available. i'm hoping for a similar solution.

Buddy

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Veteran
It was earlier this week when my cover got replaced with the new plastic tab cover.