Sponsored

Ford going cheap on the seats

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Is anyone else disappointed in their seats? I’ve been driving around in my Lariat for just over a week now and I find them not all that great
People are so different shaped, it's crazy. These are some of the most comfortable vehicle seats I have ever experienced. Maybe the first that fit me well. I picked up the truck at Granger and had to do 3 days straight of 10 hours of driving to get back to CA, and I finished each day ready to go for the next. I'm 6 ft, 240lbs that should be 180 (which agreed, might cause me to sink in more than most), 32in inseam. My partner joined me for day 2 and 3, and even with her notoriously troublesome back, she finished each day the same.

I've maxed out the leg support for height (do you know how to adjust that section at the very front if the seat bottom switch, independent from seat height? Not aware if your 2011 had it), and have dialed in the position more and more over 7K, but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

I started pulling my wallet out and putting it in the console years ago after the chiropractor suggested it was the cause for the lower spine/hip alignment and pain issues I had had for at least 25 years. After doing that and a half dozen sessions all my lower back pain went away and hasn't come back.
Started to do this on longer drives (over 1 hr) and it made a noticeable difference for me as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
J17GT

J17GT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502a
People are so different shaped, it's crazy. These are some of the most comfortable vehicle seats I have ever experienced. Maybe the first that fit me well. I picked up the truck at Granger and had to do 3 days straight of 10 hours of driving to get back to CA, and I finished each day ready to go for the next. I'm 6 ft, 240lbs that should be 180 (which agreed, might cause me to sink in more than most), 32in inseam. My partner joined me for day 2 and 3, and even with her notoriously troublesome back, she finished each day the same.

I've maxed out the leg support for height (do you know how to adjust that section at the very front if the seat bottom switch, independent from seat height? Not aware if your 2011 had it), and have dialed in the position more and more over 7K, but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse.
Don’t get me wrong, I would not call them ‘uncomfortable’ just not nearly as comfortable as the seats in my 2011. I have been tweaking all of the seat adjustments including the leg support you mention. I am slowly getting used to the seats. 😄

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
King Ranch, Platinum and Limited have the freaking comfy seats. THOUGH i will say my Lariat seats are much more plush than my Laramie seats.

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
King Ranch, Platinum and Limited have the freaking comfy seats. THOUGH i will say my Lariat seats are much more plush than my Laramie seats.
I have to say the seats in my tremor are pretty darn comfortable. Still getting them dialed in, but no complaints.

Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Before I purchased my 21 Platinum, I test drove back to back a Lariat and a Platinum. I found the Platinum seats to be more comfortable . I had to fuss with the seat bottom angle quite a bit to get a comfortable , multi day drive that didn't literally give me a pain in the butt, though . I will say that hands down, the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in were my friends 1984 Plymouth Voyager and my Boss's 1984 Peugeot 505 sedan.

XLT22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a XLT
I’d say they’re similar to my 2019. The biggest issue with all brands these days is the head restraint. You physically can’t get yourself into a good ergonomic position with the head restraint pushing your head forward. The compromise is to lean the seat back, which throws everything out of whack.

23f150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150
Not sure if the same holds true for the F-150, but on the Expedition the leather is actually the highest quality in Kind Ranch. Limited and Platinum are a hybrid leather and the rear rows are fake leather. King Ranch is true genuine hides and the 3rd row is leather instead of fake leather. The KR interior is actually worth significantly more money than a Plat by materials used. I just have cloth so I have no dog in it lol.
23 f150 king ranch. Had it for a few weeks and I find it very comfortable. Time will tell how it holds up.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Before I purchased my 21 Platinum, I test drove back to back a Lariat and a Platinum. I found the Platinum seats to be more comfortable . I had to fuss with the seat bottom angle quite a bit to get a comfortable , multi day drive that didn't literally give me a pain in the butt, though . I will say that hands down, the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in were my friends 1984 Plymouth Voyager and my Boss's 1984 Peugeot 505 sedan.
This. My dad had an '88 or '89 Plymouth Reliant (K car) for a few years when I was a kid. We nicknamed it "The Couch" because of the bouncy cloth bench seats.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I generally feel like my Lariat seats are good quality, but I frequently have right thigh pain when driving. I can't decide if it's the reddish piping digging into my thigh or the fact that the seat is so tight to the console that the right bolster has no room to spread out when my thigh presses it down. I guess a diet is always a possibility.

Sponsored

leecm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 2.7l 4x4 502a 3.73 in Space White
I think the seats in my 2022 Lariat are the only thing I'm unhappy with after 3000 miles driven. I just can't get comfortable in them. For a few reasons.

The seat pan just seems narrow, and the way the bolstering and leather piping are designed, I feel like I'm falling of the left side of the seat at all times. If I try to reposition myself by shifting my butt slightly to the right, my back feels like it is not hitting the middle of the backrest. Also, the lower back of the backrest doesn't seem very comfortable either.

Another thing - the overall seating position is weird to me. This is my first truck, so maybe I'm just not used to trucks, but I'm average height (5'9"), and I have to have the steering wheel telescope to its maximum setting in order to be reachable. If I move my seat closer so that I don't have to have the steering wheel come out so far, my right knee his that little plastic trim piece that juts out from the center console/transmission tunnel.

Anyone else experiencing these things?

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
I like the seats in my Lariat. I don’t know if it matters that we got the bench not the console. Mine are the most comfortable seats I’ve had in years. But bodies and seating positions vary, and it’s possible what works for me doesn’t work for you, and vice versa.

OP
OP
J17GT

J17GT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502a
I think the seats in my 2022 Lariat are the only thing I'm unhappy with after 3000 miles driven. I just can't get comfortable in them. For a few reasons.

The seat pan just seems narrow, and the way the bolstering and leather piping are designed, I feel like I'm falling of the left side of the seat at all times. If I try to reposition myself by shifting my butt slightly to the right, my back feels like it is not hitting the middle of the backrest. Also, the lower back of the backrest doesn't seem very comfortable either.

Another thing - the overall seating position is weird to me. This is my first truck, so maybe I'm just not used to trucks, but I'm average height (5'9"), and I have to have the steering wheel telescope to its maximum setting in order to be reachable. If I move my seat closer so that I don't have to have the steering wheel come out so far, my right knee his that little plastic trim piece that juts out from the center console/transmission tunnel.

I definitely have that falling off the left side of the seat feeling when making some right turns. I’m now bracing myself a bit with my left arm on the door. My 2011 seats were wider with better bolstering.

I’m 6’2” and find the steering wheel position fine. I have it telescoped towards me just a smidge.

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
I find them great compared to the non-sport seats in my wife’s q5, and compared to the seats in my old 4Runner.

I can sit in these seats for hours without fatigue. In the 4Runner 2-3 hours was about max. I think the longest single drive In the f150 was 12-14 hours straight coming back from Granger.

also, disconcerting to read about all of you still using wallets. Get those out of your misaligned-spine-life asap! Money clip in the front pocket. You’ll be surprised how much crap you carry around in your wallet that you don’t need.

cheers to happier backs!

Last edited:

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer

Does your Lariat have adjustable foot pedals? (Mine does, but I don’t know if they all do.) If yours is equipped, adjusting those might help with the knee contact issue. The adjustment button is on the lower left, near the button for the lights.
Sponsored