First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 explorer 2014 ram 2022 F 150 lariat ordered
Occupation
Industrial communication sales
Gotta be real- I think GM nailed it with their tailgate. I’ve got it on my Denali and it makes putting the dirt bikes in super easy…yes it’s a city slicker truck and no it’s not necessary- but it makes for a hyper convenient time when loading bikes . Check this photo of two bikes loaded in with zero issue .

oh and by the way- I’m still trading the GM truck in on a Tremor- for many reasons(not here to troll) - but all
I’m saying is the tailgate was useful.

2943B2D9-7526-478B-9558-9AE707F3DE1C.jpeg
till you open it with the Hitch in and bash in the tailgate!
Sponsored

HellcatTremorStang

First Name
Corrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 F150 Tremor. ‘21 Redeye Charger. ‘21 5.0L GT
Occupation
Business Owner
till you open it with the Hitch in and bash in the tailgate!
Don’t be silly mate . That’s literally a non-issue . The thing about not being brand loyal is you can appreciation innovation from every brand .
By the logic of that argument- I should have none of the extra functionality of my tailgate all of the time because sometimes I have a hitch in?
I use the shit out of my truck - and I can tell you- taking my hitch out when im
not using it isn’t that much of a hassle compared the function I gain with the multi-function tailgate . I’ll tell ya, I’ll miss it when I sell it.

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
Gotta be real- I think GM nailed it with their tailgate. I’ve got it on my Denali and it makes putting the dirt bikes in super easy…yes it’s a city slicker truck and no it’s not necessary- but it makes for a hyper convenient time when loading bikes . Check this photo of two bikes loaded in with zero issue .

oh and by the way- I’m still trading the GM truck in on a Tremor- for many reasons(not here to troll) - but all

You certainly dress well for dirt bike riding. You must tip the dry cleaner alot to get the mud out of the suit.......lol......sorry, couldn't resist. I agree that tailgate design worked well for you. Ford and GM shared the 10 speed transmission development. Maybe they can share tailgate technology someday.

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
i had an envoy xuv with the dual open tailgate. it was great at it allowed you to reach 2 feet further in to the truck bed

HellcatTremorStang

First Name
Corrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
You certainly dress well for dirt bike riding. You must tip the dry cleaner alot to get the mud out of the suit.......lol......sorry, couldn't resist. I agree that tailgate design worked well for you. Ford and GM shared the 10 speed transmission development. Maybe they can share tailgate technology someday.
haha . Yeah . Lol I had just bought the bikes in that photo! Straight from the office to the show room!

I will miss the tailgate when I switch to my Tremor - but there are plenty of other pros to switching to Ford.
I’m looking forward to a tuned Bolt-on 3.5L with down pipes and running 12 second 1/4 miles in a full size truck! Lol .

Sponsored

ZOSICK

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 150 Lariat (on order)

I use Lock N Load for all of my bikes. I can load up three with no straps or anything. Love the 2T's btw!

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
Find a creative fabricating shop to transplant GM's tailgate onto the Ford. Wouldn't that be cool?

HellcatTremorStang

First Name
Corrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
I use Lock N Load for all of my bikes. I can load up three with no straps or anything. Love the 2T's btw!

I’ll hve to look that Up for the Tremor!!

Thanks man- they’re both fuel injected 300s! The KTM I bought for my bro as a thank you gift and the Husky is mine.

What do you ride?

Is the lock and load a tie down system?

ZOSICK

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 150 Lariat (on order)
I’ll hve to look that Up for the Tremor!!

Thanks man- they’re both fuel injected 300s! The KTM I bought for my bro as a thank you gift and the Husky is mine.

What do you ride?

Is the lock and load a tie down system?
Nice! I ride a 2022 KTM 250 SX-F and my son races 85's and Supermini. The Lock N Load system is pretty neat. You never have to worry about straps or anything like that. Here's a link. Lock-N-Load PRO - Strapless Dirt Bike Transport System | Risk Racing.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
As long as it isn't standard equipment, Ford can do whatever they want. I hardly ever see a Dodge with their version of that tailgate (on the road or at the dealer, which is connected to Ford). It is not for me, but I see how it could be beneficial to some folks.

I would like to make two suggestions. First, the current power lift tailgate is not flawless. I know owners who have had issues with them binding up and not opening/closing. Don't get any more complicated until you do the simple stuff right. Second, it doesn't need that big handle. I small flap in the top of the tailgate with a button or manual latch (think '72 Corvette door handle) or flat handle/latch like on the back of a CJ/YJ/TJ Jeep. There has to be a better way. That's my take, at least.

Sponsored

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
I will miss the tailgate when I switch to my Tremor - but there are plenty of other pros to switching to Ford.
Lol at the people who clearly either tow a camper or don't regularly use their truck as a truck....I for one would LOVE to have Ram's barn doors. Heck, even the Ram boxes would be nice to toss my tools into. Someone would make some serious cash if you could make a Boxlink to Packout mount

Reactions: 780

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Lol at the people who clearly either tow a camper or don't regularly use their truck as a truck....I for one would LOVE to have Ram's barn doors. Heck, even the Ram boxes would be nice to toss my tools into. Someone would make some serious cash if you could make a Boxlink to Packout mount
I thought someone made boxlink mounted boxes?

Personally, I'd pass on the RamBoxes. Very cool feature though.

But, it decreases the cargo volume too much in the truck bed for me.

All depends on how you are using your truck.

The barn door is a neat idea. But I prefer Ram's execution over it vs. Fords.

Edit: I guess it wasn't mounted via box link....
Ford F-150 Ford Files Patent For Multifunction Tailgate pelican-cargo-case-ford-boxlink-instructions

Ford F-150 Ford Files Patent For Multifunction Tailgate pelican-saddle-mount-cargo-cases

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
Personally, I'd pass on the RamBoxes. Very cool feature though.
But, it decreases the cargo volume too much in the truck bed for me.
All depends on how you are using your truck.
The barn door is a neat idea. But I prefer Ram's execution over it vs. Fords.
A couple of our HD trucks have the ram boxes. Seems like tools other people store in the cabs or bed are in their boxes. Actually giving them more bed space, because 9/10 times you aren't really using the area in the wheel wells. And if your storing stuff like tool, you're into boxes which take up even more space. But like you said it's how you use your truck.

I thought someone made boxlink mounted boxes?
Edit: I guess it wasn't mounted via box link....
I guess the more I'm thinking about it, really doesn't make sense. Not really that useful...This is the packout I was talking about. Like you said, this again, specific to someone's application. This is how most trades transport their tools if they're not using a transit/promaster or gang box.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Storage-Solutions/PACKOUT

Reactions: 780

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
A couple of our HD trucks have the ram boxes. Seems like tools other people store in the cabs or bed are in their boxes. Actually giving them more bed space, because 9/10 times you aren't really using the area in the wheel wells. And if your storing stuff like tool, you're into boxes which take up even more space. But like you said it's how you use your truck.

I guess the more I'm thinking about it, really doesn't make sense. Not really that useful...This is the packout I was talking about. Like you said, this again, specific to someone's application. This is how most trades transport their tools if they're not using a transit/promaster or gang box.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Storage-Solutions/PACKOUT
For sure. I can def see the usefulness in the application you described.

I'm sure a lot of people would check the option box if Ford offered it.

I wonder what the take rate is for RamBoxes?

For me being able to load up 1/2 the box with firewood then the rest of the box with additional camping stuff is what my usage is.

(And of course the other typical house hold hauling stuff)

I do wish Ford would copy the in floor storage in the back seat area of the Rams and maybe the roll down rear window of the Tundra.

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reserved, 2022 Platinum on Order
To be fair, Ford does noticably "lag behind" with respect to tailgate & bed "design".

GM's does like 7 different things; including different ways to hold loads, standing desk height, steps, easier access to stuff in the bed if you're not that tall, etc. Obviously not perfect, and prone to big damage if you're not paying attention and leave the hitch in... but "something".

Ram's tailgate you get the super-easy access for day-to-day (esp for shorter people), easier "emptying" / cleaning of loose materials. On the box sides, not necessarily for a tradesperson who's going to bring a packout of tools to an interior jobsite, but the perfect place to keep tie-downs, emergency kit; jumper cables, or somebody who's got a small bag of tools. Amazing for tailgating.

Ford's tailgate has a pretty intelligent step, plastic tape measure and some pockets for vice grips, and a groove to hold your phone/tablet. Points for "reliability" - that work surface is never going to be a "problem" unless somebody is a complete iditiot and saws through it... but for somebody using their truck as a daily driver that includes grabbing groceries; they do really lag behind in terms of "creature comforts".
Sponsored