• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Strange statement. Go into the Rivian configurator today. You can add a full size spare to the pickup.

The R1S SUV is shorter and can only have a donut. But the R1T pickup can be ordered with a full size spare.
The difference is a full size spare is standard on the Lightning, not an option.
Sponsored

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
She should have done a fact check on Levine. He is a Ford hype artist who NEVER gets his facts straight. He should have been let go a year ago.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
The Rivian full spare is also matching wheel-specific like a Jeep.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Actually, the only officially-announced electric pickup that does not have a spare is the Hummer EV. Rivian has the in-bed compartment. Tesla Cybertruck also has the in-bed compartment or bed trunk as they're calling it can hold an optional full-size spare. That bed trunk on the Tesla can be configured with an onboard air compressor and the remainder used as other storage instead of holding a spare.

The F-150 Lightning is the only electric pickup that will include a full-size spare as standard equipment. And is the only one that under-mounts it -- which is a big deal. Nothing worse than having to unload your pickup bed just to get to a spare tire.

As for the no spare and just roadside assistance as a solution for flats, that's very common these days. Outside of trucks and certain SUVs, its not common for cars to be sold with spare tires anymore. Why? Because industry-wide research has shown that most people surveyed will call roadside assistance to fix a flat, even when they have a spare and adequate tools in their vehicle. And the statistical real-world use of roadside service is proving that.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
Has the spare tire become a “Necessary Evil”? I’m trying to think back as to when I had to change a tire on my vehicle along side the road (possibly Never) and I’m an old fart. Our Toyota Corolla Hybrid has a bottle of Green Slime, small 12v air compressors, stowed away where the spare would normally be located. Spare wheel/tire assemblies are expensive, plus, how many people out there actually know how to safely change a flat tire? Maybe a call to roadside maintenance be just the ticket for most of us, keeping Americans employed. ?

Sponsored

newF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Has the spare tire become a “Necessary Evil”? I’m trying to think back as to when I had to change a tire on my vehicle along side the road (possibly Never) and I’m an old fart. Our Toyota Corolla Hybrid has a bottle of Green Slime, small 12v air compressors, stowed away where the spare would normally be located. Spare wheel/tire assemblies are expensive, plus, how many people out there actually know how to safely change a flat tire? Maybe a call to roadside maintenance be just the ticket for most of us, keeping Americans employed. ?
How old is an old fart? I'm 46 and know how to change a tire. Taught my son how to change one as well.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
How old is an old fart? I'm 46 and know how to change a tire. Taught my son how to change one as well.
I'm 58 and can only remember changing a tire roadside once on a Chevy van. Tire was easy enough to get to on a door mount carrier, jack was inside behind a body panel and had to unload a bunch of camping gear to get to it. Grrrr.

My current F150 has a spare tire, however, from the factory it is an 18" wheel. Wheels on the truck from the factory are 20" :confused:

newF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
I'm 58 and can only remember changing a tire roadside once on a Chevy van. Tire was easy enough to get to on a door mount carrier, jack was inside behind a body panel and had to unload a bunch of camping gear to get to it. Grrrr.

My current F150 has a spare tire, however, from the factory it is an 18" wheel. Wheels on the truck from the factory are 20" :confused:
I've changed many, many tires. Including friend's tires because they didn't know how to change tires. Once I changed the tire on my minivan at 2AM on the shoulder of I95.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
Old fart? ??? Your not their yet my friend. All the awesome parents in the world would most certainly teach their young’ins how to change a tire.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Ford has the roadside assistance because that full size spare tire comes with a jack that is incapable of lifting the vehicle.
Sponsored