• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford F-150 Lightning realistic delivery dates

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger, Honda Odyssey, Triumph Thunderbird
I made a $100 reservation, like it seems a half-million others did this week (#1090xxxx). The problem is that I need to get a new vehicle soon, since my kid is going off to college in a few months and taking my current truck. So, I need to figure out something to drive while I wait for my new Lightning. Does anyone here have any insights into how long that might be? I know they said they'll starting building next spring, but what is the likelihood that they'd get to mine within a year, assuming I place an order as soon as it is available? My local Ford dealer said to plan on two years, but I think they just wanted to sell me a Ranger to hold me over.
Sponsored

LightningJoe

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning XLT | 2018 Tesla Model 3
I made a $100 reservation, like it seems a half-million others did this week (#1090xxxx). The problem is that I need to get a new vehicle soon, since my kid is going off to college in a few months and taking my current truck. So, I need to figure out something to drive while I wait for my new Lightning. Does anyone here have any insights into how long that might be? I know they said they'll starting building next spring, but what is the likelihood that they'd get to mine within a year, assuming I place an order as soon as it is available? My local Ford dealer said to plan on two years, but I think they just wanted to sell me a Ranger to hold me over.
Two years sounds like they're trying to get you into another vehicle now instead of letting you wait. i think next Spring is likely, TBH.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Two years sounds like they're trying to get you into another vehicle now instead of letting you wait. i think next Spring is likely, TBH.
I am under impression that Ford said the build will start next spring (think May) and delivery begins by mid summer (think August). So if everything works out, you can get one in August. Last year when I placed the order for Mustang Mach E, Ford was still saying November, but my dealer said not before January. Well, my build was finished on 1/25 and delivered to dealer on 3/18. Last year was total crap, but you never know what new issues might crop up this year.

audiomikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500, MB W221, C5 Camaro, Prius V, 300C
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
Considering the amount of work that needs to be done 2 years seems like a safe bet. Yes some will get theirs sooner but most of us are not that special. Thinking the first 5-10k will be reserved to priority customers in front of the $100 deposit holders. (Just like Mach-E and Bronco) Full disclosure I have not read the fine print of the reservation process.

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
Go take a look at the Bronco mess, and all the shortages of chips is going to cause lots of delays. I think it will be 4th quarter 2022 before the Lightening rolls off the line.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I’m going to say Spring of 2023, the first ones in Spring of 2022 will go out to “social media stars”

CHRISM81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MAZDA
Occupation
Nurse
I have a bronco reservation in the first 18 hours and I will probably not get one this year so don't expect the lightning to be any better. Ford has has not met one time goal with the bronco.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
I have a Bronco res too. The difference between the Bronco and the F150 is huge. One is a new vehicle from the ground up (MIC top issue) and the other is the exact same truck bolted to a different running gear underneath.

Ford cranks out 1 million trucks a year, plus or minus a few. Bronco will be lucky to hit 30,000 this year. We won't deal with fabric, tops, SAS suspension, and all the other issues over at the Bronco dumpster fire.

bobinmi

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
retired
I think that 2 YEARS is PRETTY accurate...you were VERY late to the party....and the way ford produces new vehicles, especially EV ones....they are SLOWWWWWW.....honestly....2 years to the day probably...maybe even a bit more for your number. Your about 100k deep, which will be MORE than a FULL YEARS EV lightning production is my guess.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Go take a look at the Bronco mess, and all the shortages of chips is going to cause lots of delays. I think it will be 4th quarter 2022 before the Lightening rolls off the line.
I think the question is was ford able to design the computers to use different types of chips that are available. The lightning has a totally different set of computers than an ice version

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
As far as the prime mover, I would be willing to bet that the ICE engine/transmission and transfer case combo uses more processing power than the EV.

The motor controllers are probably very sophisticated, along with hopefully an equally effective and sophisticated battery management system but there's just less moving parts and less information to sample and resolve. The speed that the information is processed is less critical than in say a turbo engine, where it's always a few revolutions from self destruction at wide open throttle if the PCM doesn't do its job. The fragility of the internal combustion engine is best illustrated through the superstition and ritual surrounding lubricating oils.

Concerning the body modules, it's probably nearly identical to the conventional F-150, though I do notice that they show what appears to be full drive by wire with the steering wheel not physically connected to the front end. No doubt to create more room in the front storage.

All that being said, a wild ass guess is that the total chips/modules/processors is probably pretty similar between similar trims and options.

One unique semiconductor type will be critical in EVs though and that's the IGBT, which are the silent heroes of many new technologies. The quality is critical in these and even before this past year's problems, there have been supply issues because the demand is so high.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
The advantage Ford has for getting the Lightning out on time is they have been making F-150s for decades. Most of the Lightning will be identical to the rest of the 2022 SuperCrew Cab, short-bed pickups. Even the ProPower bed has been tested in the PowerBoost Hybrid.

In contrast, the Bronco had lots of parts that were completely new and came out during COVID-19.

My money is on Ford getting the Lightning out on time.

LightningJoe

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning XLT | 2018 Tesla Model 3
The advantage Ford has for getting the Lightning out on time is they have been making F-150s for decades. Most of the Lightning will be identical to the rest of the 2022 SuperCrew Cab, short-bed pickups. Even the ProPower bed has been tested in the PowerBoost Hybrid.

In contrast, the Bronco had lots of parts that were completely new and came out during COVID-19.

My money is on Ford getting the Lightning out on time.
Agreed. And they have several that they’re currently testing and driving reviewers around in versus making Doug Demuro stand outside a non-operational Bronco to do an early review.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
Having been thru this game too many times to count, I think there is a lot of software and bleeding edge tech on this truck. They may do some face saving deliveries early, few dozen / hundred.

My guess for bulk deliveries Early to Middle 2023 before we get them in owners hands, leaning more towards middle 2023.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Disagree, there are already a few dozen/hundred out running around. If they miss opening the order board on schedule this fall then the red flags go up.
Sponsored