Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
Ford suspends more F-150, Explorer output over chips
The automaker tacked on an additional one to two weeks of downtime at key plants

April 21, 2021

DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. on Wednesday informed workers that it is extending downtime at key North American plants — including at one of two sites that build the top-selling F-150 pickup — between one and two weeks because of the ongoing chip shortage.

In a memo to employees obtained by Automotive News and confirmed with the company, Ford said the Chicago and Flat Rock, Mich., plants as well as both the F-150 and Transit van sides of its Kansas City, Mo., plant will be down the weeks of May 3 and 10.

Flat Rock, which builds the Mustang, and Chicago Assembly, which builds the Explorer and Lincoln Aviator crossovers, have been idled since the week of April 12. Kansas City has been idled since the week of April 19.

Oakville Assembly in Canada, where workers build the Ford Edge and Lincoln Nautilus crossovers, will be down the week of May 3. It also has been idled since April 12.

Additionally, Ford said production at its Ohio Assembly Plant will be limited to Super Duty chassis cabs and medium-duty trucks the weeks of May 3 and 10, continuing limitations that began the week of April 19.

The company also noted that various powertrain and stamping plants would have to adjust their operating patterns to match what's happening at the assembly plants they serve.

"As you build every vehicle you can for our dealers and customers, our teams behind the scenes are working hard to source additional parts," John Savona, Ford's vice president of manufacturing and labor affairs, said in the memo. "The situation is constantly changing, and we appreciate your understanding as we work through this together."

Advertisement

Donnelly713

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Is anyone concerned they’re sourcing subpar parts at this point snd longevity issues- or is quality control not an issue and they wouldn’t want to compromise brand and have to pay warranty claims.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicles
03 Audi A4
Just saw this news, but not this thread, and posted in the other topic on the plant shutdown. Hopefully this means all the trucks currently in limbo in Dearborn get completed and ship out.

Tookey

First Name
Kent
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Self
Yup I just got my vin a week or so ago and being built at KC. Hopefully I will have my truck for my birthday in august
I ordered my truck 11/11/20 the truck came in on 4/12/21

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
got my VIN on the weekend and was excited.... then I noticed the K in it...
Same today. I was hoping to have it for July (had a perfect use for the pro power in mind) but doubt it will be here before then as build week is sound like it will be in July.

boo radley

First Name
ed
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 F150 1992 F150, 1999 F150, 2004 F150, 2013 F150
I was talking to a dealership and they are concerned about taking a bunch of 2021 F150s so late in the game with the 2022 F150s presumably not far off on the horizon.

You cant special order a 2021 F250 anymore. The 2022 Super Duty fuse is lit.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Is anyone concerned they’re sourcing subpar parts at this point snd longevity issues- or is quality control not an issue and they wouldn’t want to compromise brand and have to pay warranty claims.
Yes, but only mildly concerned. I don’t believe that ‘chips’ are the kind of commodity which have cheap or substandard alternatives that would compromise product quality unlike, you know, rust-inhibiting paint on transfer cases and axels.

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Lariat, 2021 Lariat on order
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Awe what a drag. The parts for my Lariat staged on the assembly lines 04/19, so my truck is literally waiting for them to resume production (minus the microchips I'm sure). At this point I just wish they could keep the tracker more updated, as my estimated delivery date has not changed, still says 05/06, but there is no way that is happening.

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Tahoe, 2014 Mazda3
This morning’s Ford Authority stated the Dearborn plant would also shut down for those two weeks. inaccurate news....or more current news than yesterday?

Jack

Advertisement

Advertisement