• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford equivalent to Tesla mobile connector?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
That's pretty disappointing, but thanks for confirming. With the connector being modular I would think it's only a matter of time before Ford sells connectors that allow you to plug the mobile connector into different receptacles and adjust the current based on the receptacle's respective rating. That said, the MME has been out how long now?

Truthfully I have not needed to adjust the charging amps on my car, but it was nice to have the option in case I needed to jerry rig something for some obscure plug that Tesla doesn't offer.
MMEs have been in driverā€™s hand about 13 months.

The problem isnā€™t just the connector - the EVSE needs to be able to recognize the connector attached and limit the current accordingly. The FMC simply does not have that capability.

Several 3rd party EVSEs do, as others have mentioned.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
No. It was intentional. All of the debate/discussion on dongles connectors and compatibility as well as charging limitations in this thread makes hybrids seem far more practical than a 100% EV. Not trying to ruffle feathers - just an honest observation.
For the FAST majority of people it really doesn't matter. You are going to plug in at home (set up for your vehicle) and use DC fast charging when on a road trip (CCS for effectively everyone except Tesla - and they are moving there). No adapters or dongles needed.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
No. It was intentional. All of the debate/discussion on dongles connectors and compatibility as well as charging limitations in this thread makes hybrids seem far more practical than a 100% EV. Not trying to ruffle feathers - just an honest observation.
I know, right. I'm glad there is never a reason to chat about octanes, oil, transmissions...

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All of the issues debated in this thread are really fringe use case problems.
Iā€˜ve driven my Mach-E for 11 months. Iā€™ve used my TeslaTap adaptor once just to see if it worked. If I figure my total time spent fast charging on road trips, itā€™s still less than the the time I would have spent refueling an equivalent ICE vehicle overall simply because I charge at home overnight for normal daily driving.

There are use cases where an EV doesnā€™t make sense, but you canā€™t make that call based on a thread like this one.

Cheers!

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Oh, then I guess it was just a worthless intentional post. I didn't think anyone
All of the issues debated in this thread are really fringe use case problems.
Iā€˜ve driven my Mach-E for 11 months. Iā€™ve used my TeslaTap adaptor once just to see if it worked. If I figure my total time spent fast charging on road trips, itā€™s still less than the the time I would have spent refueling an equivalent ICE vehicle overall simply because I charge at home overnight for normal daily driving.

There are use cases where an EV doesnā€™t make sense, but you canā€™t make that call based on a thread like this one.

Cheers!
I don't think my use case is all that fringe. It's true that the majority (83%) of my charging is done at home, but not all of it. Long trips occasionally require staying where there is no wall mounted EVSE, and instead there are a variety of 240v receptacles with limited or nonexistent DCFC nearby. I'm no Tesla fanboy (I'm leaving Tesla for Ford, actually) but they have had what seems like a unique solution to this problem since the beginning.

For now if anyone wants maximum flexibility to charge at any receptacle, I would purchase a mobile EVSE such as the Primecon adjustable and then purchase the appropriate 14-50R adapters for the receptacle types where you plan to charge. A Teslatap or Lectron adapter will give you more options.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh, then I guess it was just a worthless intentional post. I didn't think anyone

I don't think my use case is all that fringe. It's true that the majority (83%) of my charging is done at home, but not all of it. Long trips occasionally require staying where there is no wall mounted EVSE, and instead there are a variety of 240v receptacles with limited or nonexistent DCFC nearby. I'm no Tesla fanboy (I'm leaving Tesla for Ford, actually) but they have had what seems like a unique solution to this problem since the beginning.

For now if anyone wants maximum flexibility to charge at any receptacle, I would purchase a mobile EVSE such as the Primecon adjustable and then purchase the appropriate 14-50R adapters for the receptacle types where you plan to charge. A Teslatap or Lectron adapter will give you more options.
Sorry, I wasnā€™t trying to imply that your use case was fringe. This thread has wandered on a few tangents.
We all tend to see things as they are in our own universe. In my case, with 11 months driving my MME, Iā€™ve never had to use my adaptor, and never used my mobile charger. Iā€™ve never had a problem finding a hotel in a major city destination with a J1772 EVSE. I really thought Iā€™d have to use my TeslaTap at least a few times, but it hasnā€™t happened yet. Itā€™s nice to know I have that option in my frunk!

And I agree, Teslaā€™s charging infrastructure is one of their strong points.
Sponsored