• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford equivalent to Tesla mobile connector?

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
That seems to be the catch. From what I've read on the MME forums, they don't have the ability to reduce the draw. If they did, I could actually make my own adapters and plug the Ford 14-50P into any 240v receptacle and just adjust from the truck. Instead, I think we need to have the wall connector properly identify its maximum current so the truck autonegotiates to the proper draw. The Tesla UMC does this when plugging into a Tesla, but I'm not sure about when you use the Lectron adapter. I don't think it is that smart.
Then just pick up a different mobile charger (EVSE) that allows the settings to be changed. The car figures out what the max amperage the EVSE can provide, this is part of the standard. What they cannot determine is the amount of power that can be drawn between the EVSE and the breaker panel.
Sponsored

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
Sorry everyone - enjoy your EV's. You're better men/woman than me. I need to get in and go, as far and when I want. I have a F150 Powerboost - love it (it's not perfect, but awesome). I can't ever live with ever having to worry about "charged enough overnight to get to Chatanooga". :)

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Then just pick up a different mobile charger (EVSE) that allows the settings to be changed. The car figures out what the max amperage the EVSE can provide, this is part of the standard. What they cannot determine is the amount of power that can be drawn between the EVSE and the breaker panel.
I'm not familiar with a different connector that allows for interchangeable plugs which is why I started the thread. I initially mentioned the Tesla UMC since I already have one, but really any connector with J1772 output would be preferable since it could be used without a Tesla adapter.

Sorry everyone - enjoy your EV's. You're better men/woman than me. I need to get in and go, as far and when I want. I have a F150 Powerboost - love it (it's not perfect, but awesome). I can't ever live with ever having to worry about "charged enough overnight to get to Chatanooga". :)
Okay! I think you posted this to the wrong thread.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Cool story.

robot

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150 Lightning owner
Occupation
Technology
It did come in handy staying in the middle of georgia nowhere. Chattanooga was the closest supercharger, stayed in the hills at a resort for 3 days it charged it enough to get it to knoxville.
You're not exactly selling the EV lifestyle :)

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
GM makes a dedicate charger like the Tesla. Tesla makes a J1722 charger also that has the ability to change connector adapters.
Some people have used 120VAC models on 240VAC but in a very unsafe manner.
There are other models that might be used if you really need to have dual voltages.

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Only GM mobile connector I see is 120v unless you hack together a number of adapters to get it to run at 240v. Still only draws 12A though Sheesh.

Tesla does now have a HPWC with a J1772 end on it for charging other EVs, but they don't sell a UMC with a J1772 end on it. That would be ideal.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Only GM mobile connector I see is 120v unless you hack together a number of adapters to get it to run at 240v. Still only draws 12A though Sheesh.
Pretty sure Chevy's Dual Level Charge Cord can run on 240V
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford equivalent to Tesla mobile connector? 1641428097132

wheelz2000

First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
Well I advocate for it by telling you that you will not do near the maintenance on the vehicle that you would expect to do on your gas vehicle. You will get alot of your time back. That's what I enjoyed with my tesla m3. We all value time am I right?!! By taking the leap and buying into the ford technology, not only are you gonna get an awesome truck that looks good abd can do whatever you need it to do. Whenever you need it, you aren't gonna be in the shop getting oil changes every 3k miles, only rotating tires...which should still be done so thry last longer, no tyranny flushes. Just planning your next trip and charging at your home. It may be geaper on insurance as well because of all the safety features. My model 3 was cheaper to insure than the 2016 prius I had. Yep sure was. We all have alot to look forward too with putting these trucks "computers on wheels" on the road.

Sponsored

wheelz2000

First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
I'm noticing my typing is terrible on my phone. No tranny flushes...dang. apologies folks. I'm just totally stocked for the lightning. It's gonna be great!!!

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pretty sure Chevy's Dual Level Charge Cord can run on 240V
1641428097132.png
Ah ha, looks like they also have the 14-50 and 5-15. Strange that nobody offers a 14-30 (dryer plug) which are very common.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Ah ha, looks like they also have the 14-50 and 5-15. Strange that nobody offers a 14-30 (dryer plug) which are very common.
Primecom does:
Select the appropriate NEMA outlet type that you have at your home from above. 10-30, 10-50, 14-30, 14-50, 6-20, 6-30, 6-50, L14-30, L6-30, or 5-15​

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ah ha, Primecom does offer a hard-wired 14-30 or 6-20, but they are not interchangeable.

However, they do have an EVSE with adjustable amperage. This would allow someone to hack together other non-code 14-50R adapters to allow for charging at lower rates. So at least there is a solution in the meantime. They also offer EVSEs with 50 foot cords which will be nice when I'm unable to park in a garage, though for a pretty penny. Probably better off having a dedicated 14-50 extension cord.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KDP8W2L/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
I'm not familiar with a different connector that allows for interchangeable plugs which is why I started the thread. I initially mentioned the Tesla UMC since I already have one, but really any connector with J1772 output would be preferable since it could be used without a Tesla adapter.

Okay! I think you posted this to the wrong thread.
No. It was intentional. All of the debate/discussion on dongles connectors and compatibility as well as charging limitations in this thread makes hybrids seem far more practical than a 100% EV. Not trying to ruffle feathers - just an honest observation.
Sponsored