• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Gary Gattis

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 C Max energi, 2015 C Max energi, 2017 Explore
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
It was not an Energi. We had several FFHs. I did the best. Rarely needed the AC in summer because the car was garaged during the day most of the time. My speed on the interstate rarely went above 60 mph.
Did you use the pulse and neutral glide? I drive the speed limit and try to keep with the flow of traffic and nobody can tell I'm getting sometimes getting 3 times the mpg as the cars right next to me. I draft but keep my distances and know what trucks to draft from to get the best mpg when I drive over ~50mph.
Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Did you use the pulse and neutral glide? I drive the speed limit and try to keep with the flow of traffic and nobody can tell I'm getting sometimes getting 3 times the mpg as the cars right next to me. I draft but keep my distances and know what trucks to draft from to get the best mpg when I drive over ~50mph.
I did not do anything special. What is pulse and neutral glide?

Gary Gattis

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
I did not do anything special. What is pulse and neutral glide?
It is a hypermiler technique where you use acceleration then glide. You determine the most efficient acceleration rate based on the vehicle's power curve and best mpg acceleration rate. I do acceleration test to get the general rate I accelerate with an instant MPG reading or energy gauge. I worked with the inventor of the Scangauge to program codes to read Ford systems in hybrids so I use one in all my Fords. The pulse is that energy applied (rpm) while getting to a desired speed (the flow of traffic), then coast cutting as much gear drag and regenerative braking as possible. The weight of the rims and tires, and air pressure are tricks to increase your mpg or battery distance with pulse and glide. The speed of traffic determines how long you can glide in the speed of traffic but 25mph is the slowest I go using this hypermiler technique. For those of you that are interested, I would like to know the weight of the tires and rims available for the Lightning if any of you can find that out. I found when I used my lighter '05 FEH rims and the lighter low roll resistant tires on my '09 FEH, I increased my mileage 3 or more mpg from stock. The weight of the tires and rims is much more important than adding weight to the truck in this case. The weight and roll resistance of the tires and rims will greatly determine your mpg over the entire time you drive your vehicle so lighter is better. Many people buy heavy tires and can't figure out why their mpg dropped and this is a big reason IMO. So, all you need to know is pick the lighter tires and rims available and recommended by the OEM for your vehicle if you want better efficiency. I don't go crazy on tire pressure but I use the max recommended for the tire load. My tires usually last twice as long as they did before I became a hypermiler. My tires, brake pads and things last much longer now that I know how to drive better and more efficient.

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
It is a hypermiler technique where you use acceleration then glide. You determine the most efficient acceleration rate based on the vehicle's power curve and best mpg acceleration rate. I do acceleration test to get the general rate I accelerate with an instant MPG reading or energy gauge. I worked with the inventor of the Scangauge to program codes to read Ford systems in hybrids so I use one in all my Fords. The pulse is that energy applied (rpm) while getting to a desired speed (the flow of traffic), then coast cutting as much gear drag and regenerative braking as possible. The weight of the rims and tires, and air pressure are tricks to increase your mpg or battery distance with pulse and glide. The speed of traffic determines how long you can glide in the speed of traffic but 25mph is the slowest I go using this hypermiler technique. For those of you that are interested, I would like to know the weight of the tires and rims available for the Lightning if any of you can find that out. I found when I used my lighter '05 FEH rims and the lighter low roll resistant tires on my '09 FEH, I increased my mileage 3 or more mpg from stock. The weight of the tires and rims is much more important than adding weight to the truck in this case. The weight and roll resistance of the tires and rims will greatly determine your mpg over the entire time you drive your vehicle so lighter is better. Many people buy heavy tires and can't figure out why their mpg dropped and this is a big reason IMO. So, all you need to know is pick the lighter tires and rims available and recommended by the OEM for your vehicle if you want better efficiency. I don't go crazy on tire pressure but I use the max recommended for the tire load. My tires usually last twice as long as they did before I became a hypermiler. My tires, brake pads and things last much longer now that I know how to drive better and more efficient.
So much Info in there. Reminds me of a scientist (I forgot the name) who had figured out the optimal way to take a shower to minimize physical movements, water and soap. Only, he could get his family to adopt it.
We are listening with all ears to maximize the miles… :)

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
This is the kind of stuff I’m curious about. While the vast majority of my driving will be within 150 miles of my home, I will occasionally make trips from Denver to DFW and Louisiana. Historically, that’s when I’ve made the biggest attempts at maximizing my driving efficiency.

Sponsored

Gary Gattis

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
So much Info in there. Reminds me of a scientist (I forgot the name) who had figured out the optimal way to take a shower to minimize physical movements, water and soap. Only, he could get his family to adopt it.
We are listening with all ears to maximize the miles… :)
I had to bribe my son with his first car, my '05 FEH hand-me-down so I could get the '09 FEH. I gave him $5 for every mpg he got over the EPA at refill. If he got 40mpg with 8 mpg over combine EPA, he got $40 to blow lol.

Gary Gattis

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
This is the kind of stuff I’m curious about. While the vast majority of my driving will be within 150 miles of my home, I will occasionally make trips from Denver to DFW and Louisiana. Historically, that’s when I’ve made the biggest attempts at maximizing my driving efficiency.
What is really neat is seeing the computer estimate MTE at fill-up at over 800 miles sometimes. If I start serious hypermiling the computer MTE doesn't move down very fast. I got screen pictures of believable MTE at fill-up and use to change the photo on my ID at posting to show lol. My goal was the MTE to read 999 MTE at fill-up in my FEH's and I came close a few times lol. Not bad for a SUV with a 15gal gas tank.

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Life is simple with an EV. Just set the cruise control and drive. All the hypermiling stuff originated with internal combustion engines. As far as drafting trucks.... I've seen recaps come apart and debris flying all over. Don't want any part of that. 1 insurance claim cancels a lifetime of saving pennies on electricity.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
The best mpg I get in most cars is at 25-36mph and goes down the faster you go from there.
It sucks when you're stuck behind a hypermiler running in his sweet spot on a 40-50mph speed limit road.

Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Explorer,C10
Life is simple with an EV. Just set the cruise control and drive. All the hypermiling stuff originated with internal combustion engines. As far as drafting trucks.... I've seen recaps come apart and debris flying all over. Don't want any part of that. 1 insurance claim cancels a lifetime of saving pennies on electricity.
Tend to be in your camp here. BEV drive lines do not have nearly the amount of recoverable waste as ICE. A lot of this seems to be hazard to navigation and unsafe (following distance) driving practice.

Viper GTS

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 M3P, 2005 GX470
Occupation
God
Everyone needs hobbies I suppose.

In all of my fun cars I take similar pleasure in pursuing exactly the opposite - A 7.x mpg tank on a spreadsheet means fun times we’re had by all.

Gary Gattis

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
It sucks when you're stuck behind a hypermiler running in his sweet spot on a 40-50mph speed limit road.
It's rude to block the flow of traffic because you don't know how to hypermile correctly. Route planning is the key to drive the right mph for great mpg and can be more enjoyable with less traffic. I hate it also when people block the flow of traffic and it's from people not paying attention or on the phone most of the time. Drafting a safe distance with the right truck configuration and speed can be done safely also.

Gary Gattis

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
Tend to be in your camp here. BEV drive lines do not have nearly the amount of recoverable waste as ICE. A lot of this seems to be hazard to navigation and unsafe (following distance) driving practice.
There are far more driving hazards than people hypermiling anticipating something or someone may effect the road ahead. People change lanes with only feet behind you and in front of you and tailgate worst than any good hypermiler drafting with the flow of traffic. Most people drive so close to the rear and dart out around others with no regard and will complain about other drivers. A good hypermiler just drives defensively and smart and tries not to waste energy and abuse people or their vehicle.

khatch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150, 2021 Bronco, 2023 Lightning
OK Ford, it's the beginning of the new year now. I'm eagerly awaiting my invitation to order! ;)
Sponsored