Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
So this made me think, another way of eliminating parts would be to “upgrade” the lower levels. Idk if any trim has manual windows or locks, but upgrading everything to powered windows and locks would eliminate a handful of parts. Also upgrading base level gauges to XLT level would eliminate more parts as well. Idk if, or how much Ford breaks down subassemblies into individual components for “part counts” but it could be anywhere from a couple of parts (bezel, gauges, and mounting fasteners) to hundreds (counting the lens, gauges, dial indicators, chips, etc)
I agree. While there is a plateau to economies of scale, there's also efficiencies and redundancies in having 1 part supplied by many suppliers and less part numbers. Ford could easily drop the nonsense of the XL line and structure things in a way to promote the lariat low as the XLT high, while still giving XLT buyers premium features to option. The deletes have made halo trims neither market priced, nor halo. At this point it's tough not to question the mental acuity of those who'd accept what amounts to a decal package on current platinum and limited models at anything other than deeply discounted prices vs 502s.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
Honestly I'm kinda glad I have my 21....lots of little things in my truck that have been removed since it came out
Exactly! Us early adopters finally get some respect! :LOL: I've said it before, I wouldn't want to be in the market for a replacement right now and not have all the options I spec'd my factory ordered XLT Sport 4x4 PB. I've literally got a Lariat "light". Less weight, more payload and tow capability, almost all the same frills, and lower invoice price.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
So this made me think, another way of eliminating parts would be to “upgrade” the lower levels. Idk if any trim has manual windows or locks, but upgrading everything to powered windows and locks would eliminate a handful of parts
This is likely the reasoning to eliminate the X00 levels from trims. No 500A, 400A, etc. Just move everything up.

Also upgrading base level gauges to XLT level would eliminate more parts as well. Idk if, or how much Ford breaks down subassemblies into individual components for “part counts” but it could be anywhere from a couple of parts (bezel, gauges, and mounting fasteners) to hundreds (counting the lens, gauges, dial indicators, chips, etc)
I was skeptical about f150 switching to all digital screens for '24, but after seeing the "low" digital dashes for the new Ranger, I got it. Smaller center screen with some 80's-esque side gauges.

Ford F-150 Ford CEO: 2024 F-150 refresh to have 2400 fewer parts 1684956954091

I mean that takes away some motors, plastic pointer bits, some verbal flexibility to say "fewer parts"...

Also, this quote says as much as 2400 as soon as next year. Click bait saying it is DEFINTELY 2400 pieces and DEFINITEY next year. What else do you take at face value from Farley?

Last edited:

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I mean that takes away some motors, plastic pointer bits, some verbal flexibility to say "fewr parts"...

Also, this quote says as much as 2400 as soon as next year. Click bait saying it is DEFINTELY 2400 pieces and DEFINITEY next year. What else do you take at face value from Farley?
Given tech prices today, I wouldn't doubt that the analog systems aren't far from, if not equal to the digital display costs. Hell high quality replacement laptop screens can be purchased and delivered to anyone for $50, a price that represents profit of both the manufacturer and distributor of the item. I believe at this point it's done purely to try to upsell to higher profit trims. I wouldn't at all be surprised to hear that the XLT's 8" w/ dual analogs cost the same if not more to make than the all-digital 12". All of the screen driving components are present, but then add in additional parts for analog dials? It really makes no sense.

And for the record, I do like the 8" w/ analog needles more than the full digital. It provides all relevant information without leaving anything on the table. Hell it displays more info than the mach-e's all digital IPC.

Last edited:

Babbage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 XLT 302A FX4 PP2K 36GAL TOW
Occupation
Wild horse rider
And here we thought the '23 deletes were bad...

I tried to build an 2023 XLT --- Just like my 2021 and it was $18,000 more for same items.
You can't get the 3.5 EB (400hp/500tq) in a 2023 XLT, Minimum is the Lariat trim

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
We can thank Elon for these great advancements with the gigapress producing huge aluminum parts in place of 100s of small parts that had to be assembled The big three are so far behind Tesla with this type of thinking.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
This is likely the reasoning to eliminate the X00 levels from trims. No 500A, 400A, etc. Just move everything up.
I believe that move was less about commonization of parts and more about less build configurations by eliminating low volume trims.

Also of note, I think the 400a was actually replaced, more or less, by the rattler

Sponsored

RidingHighNCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I tried to build an 2023 XLT --- Just like my 2021 and it was $18,000 more for same items.
You can't get the 3.5 EB (400hp/500tq) in a 2023 XLT, Minimum is the Lariat trim
You can get any powertrain on the XL SuperCab on the build site, so that must be an XLT issue only.
Ford F-150 Ford CEO: 2024 F-150 refresh to have 2400 fewer parts IMG_4298

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Farley is absolute dog shit. Bring in a guy like Fields and we're back in business.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
It’ll be interesting to see.

A few ideas they might start with: the interior.Replace every switch/dial with touch pads. NOT something I’d endorse AT ALL but if you compare Tesla interior to most others, there’s easily a few 100 less parts that their big screen eliminates. A simple dial or push button has a clip(s), wires, wire harness, connectors, contactors… it all adds up.

On the topic of assemblies,that’s another avenue (that’s also scary for the consumer). Ie, replace the plastic clips/metal fasteners with glue and voila, 4-6 (or more) less parts per assembly.

Other things:steer/brake/gas-by-wire. Luxury cars already have steering by wire. Cars have had gas by wire for years (my 2002 M3 had it). Brake by wire is still scary to me but airliners are almost all fly-by-wire and that’s even more severe applicAtion IMO.

Anyway, not sure less parts is always a good thing, but it’s certainly an industry standard for measuring producibility and reliability (generally, less parts = more reliable/easier to make, tho devil is in the details).
Fly by wire WITH TRIPLE REDUNDANCY.

Steering by wire sucks and generally speaking, electronic throttle bodies don't seem to give as good feedback or control as cable units.
Sponsored