Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Ford cancels summer shutdown weeks at majority of assembly plants

Detroit Free Press

John Savona, vice president of manufacturing and labor affairs at Ford Motor Co., issued a letter to factory workers on Thursday alerting them that summer break is canceled.
"This notification is a week later than normal because of the volatility tied to the industry-wide semiconductor shortage. We appreciate your patience and the UAW's cooperation and understanding," said the letter, obtained by the Free Press from a factory worker and confirmed by Ford.

Ford F-150 Ford cancels summer plant shutdown ea02a9d2-4987-4194-b500-22d37dba5025-savonamask

Ford will not take a traditional summer shutdown at the majority of its assembly plants in the U.S., specifically Dearborn Truck Plant, Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville, Ohio Assembly Plant in Avon Lake, Chicago Assembly Plant and Kansas City Assembly Plant in Claycomo, Missouri.

Teams will be working during the traditional shutdown weeks this summer, Savona said.
"In those locations, employees will need to schedule vacation days via their local vacation scheduling process. Individual plants in Powertrain and Stamping will provide specifics around their operating patterns to support the assembly plants," the letter said.

This global shortage of semiconductors is affecting all auto manufacturers as well as other industries, Savona noted. The Material, Planning and Logistics, purchasing and manufacturing teams at Ford "have been working tirelessly to find solutions to keep our plants running so you can continue building high-quality vehicles that continue to be in high demand among our dealers and customers. One of those solutions is sequencing down weeks, allowing us to keep building our must-have vehicles for customers when we have adequate parts supplies."

More shutdowns, too
In addition to the summer schedule change, and adding to the weeks of closures and worker pay lost, Savona said Thursday that during the week of April 12, Chicago Assembly Plant, Flat Rock Assembly Plant and Kansas City Assembly Plant on the Transit side, not F-150, will be down due to parts shortfalls tied to the semiconductor shortage.

"We previously announced the Dearborn Truck Plant and Louisville Assembly Plant will also be down the week of April 12. Ohio Assembly Plant will be operating on a reduced schedule," Savona said. "We understand these schedule disruptions are inconvenient. We also appreciate that this year's summer schedule may be disappointing to those who look forward to time away during the traditional shutdown weeks."

The Dearborn automaker is planning to operate more U.S. assembly plants during more weeks this summer than it has in more than 15 years — specifically in late June and early July, Kelli Felker, Ford global manufacturing and labor communications manager, told the Free Press.

The company thanked workers for the "flexibility, understanding and dedication" exhibited throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and parts shortages.

"We will get through this, working together, and we appreciate all you do for Ford every day," wrote Savona, who included a masked photo at the bottom of his letter.

The UAW contract requires automakers to notify the union of planned schedules and schedule changes.

The bright side
"The good news in this is that demand is high for UAW made vehicles; however the crisis in the overall industry is causing the companies to make these difficult adjustments," said Brian Rothenberg, UAW spokesman.

"We continue to work with the companies and local union membership to try to ensure that our members are not adversely impacted," he said.

UAW members receive approximately 75% of their gross pay during down weeks, Felker confirmed.

Higher prices
Wall Street is closely monitoring the superconductor shortage and other issues.
Adam Jonas, analyst at Morgan Stanley, sent an investor note on Wednesday that said, "We are seeing levels of light vehicle inventory tightness that goes beyond anything we have ever seen. Feedback from dealers and auto companies suggests the situation may get worse before it gets better."

Dealers report new vehicles are selling above the listed prices, Jonas said. As a result, he said, the industry may see "industry record margins" in 2021.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wolf Man

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Maybe this means if my truck isn't built by the May 1 production date I'll have a pretty good chance of it being sometime this summer ?

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Thought it was good sign the shutdown was canceled. At least only the Transit can half of Claycomo will be shutdown.

Brent

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 EB FX4
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
I think this means a lot of people will be looking forward to the new 2022 Toyota Tundra, it will probably be delivered sooner than the 2021 Ford F150.

Sponsored

F150fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Thought it was good sign the shutdown was canceled. At least only the Transit can half of Claycomo will be shutdown.
I, too, am so glad for that little “not the F-150” blurb next to the Kansas City assembly plant.

Ordered 2/1 and not even a VIN yet. Hoping for some kind of news soon.

mr2yu

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 (on order), 2108 F150, 1988 Mustang GT
Occupation
Material Handling manager
I, too, am so glad for that little “not the F-150” blurb next to the Kansas City assembly plant.

Ordered 2/1 and not even a VIN yet. Hoping for some kind of news soon.
i ordered Feb 25th and have had my VIN for 3 weeks now. ETA has been pushed from April 27th to May 17th though.

roypsu

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F150
Occupation
DOD
Mine was ordered on march 15th. May be i'll got it for Christmas!!?
I ordered my Lariat the first week of March and after seeing everything in this Forum , I had the Dealer cancel my 2021 and will place on order a 2022, hopefully 2022's will able to be ordered the end of June to beginning of July. The Dealership is keeping my 2021 in the order-bank for me or the dealership lot. With the computer chip problem and the rusty under-carriage parts, I feel better waiting on a 2022.

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
roypsu, I'm mulling the same thing. Having never purchased a F150 (or even a Ford) before, I need to mine some information from my dealer about the timing of a) when they will accept a 2022 order that Ford will accept, b) when 2022 pricing is likely to be announced, and c) which month new model year 2022's typically arrive in the showrooms. I placed my order in mid-December, Ford cancelled it (TPMS/RV camera screwup by them) and they reassigned a mid-January order date. I do not yet have a VIN# and the dealer can't explain "my order problem", of which they have several. If I received a VIN# today (mid-April), based on the posts I'm seeing on two F150 forums as of today, a late June delivery seems the best I can hope for...and perhaps August is more likely. That could well *shout* ordering a 2022, it seems to me, if delivery were possible in the Fall.

The calendar details aside, keeping a 2021 order in place feels to me like awarding Ford for the worst roll-out of a new vehicle model I've personally experienced. A very appealing product for my needs, but a lousy, not ready for prime-time product as orders started being fulfilled, and shameful corporate behavior for shoveling rusty drive trains onto dealers while refusing to apologize, let alone own up to the root cause(s) to Gen14 customers. Canceling the order would obviously be just a small voice in the wind, but it would sure *feel* good.

Jack

Sponsored

roypsu

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F150
Occupation
DOD
roypsu, I'm mulling the same thing. Having never purchased a F150 (or even a Ford) before, I need to mine some information from my dealer about the timing of a) when they will accept a 2022 order that Ford will accept, b) when 2022 pricing is likely to be announced, and c) which month new model year 2022's typically arrive in the showrooms. I placed my order in mid-December, Ford cancelled it (TPMS/RV camera screwup by them) and they reassigned a mid-January order date. I do not yet have a VIN# and the dealer can't explain "my order problem", of which they have several. If I received a VIN# today (mid-April), based on the posts I'm seeing on two F150 forums as of today, a late June delivery seems the best I can hope for...and perhaps August is more likely. That could well *shout* ordering a 2022, it seems to me, if delivery were possible in the Fall.

The calendar details aside, keeping a 2021 order in place feels to me like awarding Ford for the worst roll-out of a new vehicle model I've personally experienced. A very appealing product for my needs, but a lousy, not ready for prime-time product as orders started being fulfilled, and shameful corporate behavior for shoveling rusty drive trains onto dealers while refusing to apologize, let alone own up to the root cause(s) to Gen14 customers. Canceling the order would obviously be just a small voice in the wind, but it would sure *feel* good.

Jack
I bought a 2014 4x4 Lariat when I got back from overseas, before that 50 years worth I owned GMC and Chevy's . This 2014 F150 with the 5.0 has been the greatest truck I've ever owned, 135,000 and the only burp was a blown fuse. Now I'm old school and I take really good care and maintenance of my vehicle's, I've been on the bulb for twelve months on weather to just hang on to the 2014 or what. But I'm finally throwing my hat into retirement this coming January and decide to build a new F150 the why I want it . If the 2022 is anything compared to my 2014 I'll be Happy.................Cheers

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I think this means a lot of people will be looking forward to the new 2022 Toyota Tundra, it will probably be delivered sooner than the 2021 Ford F150.
I went with an F-150 after my Toyota contact told me not to expect the 2022 Tundra until next spring.

Timsvtgen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Bronco Spt BL , '21 Tremor Ordered
Ordered 9/28 and been in production since 4/25 :/

OP
OP
Wolf Man

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
At some point they have to shut down to retool for the 2022s.

I suspect many of us will end up getting 2022 models.

...in 2323 ?
Sponsored