• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford-Cam?

jas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic
I’m hoping Ford will move to this by default once they switch to Android from the SYNC system. Of course, that doesn’t help with first year F-150 Lightning. I’m honestly surprised they’re even messing with SYNC 4 on this truck, but they may have a contract to fulfill…
Wow, I hope its just an operating install that doesn't require different hardware.
Sponsored

OP
OP

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
For me, that a hard pass on the police state tactics.
If the footage was being uploaded someplace outside of my control, I would be right there with you! I don't want someone else being able to look at my footage without my knowledge. If it's stored locally in the vehicle on a memory card, I can use it when needed, or if I don't want to record I can just take out the card.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Ford was offering a camera accessory on the MachE that essentially did what theTesla cams do.

Sentry Mode on the Tesla is nice if you are in a sketchy parking situation. The Tesla driving cam used to be good, recording all the time and overwriting it so last hour of driving was available. In many "software updates" this got hosed a couple times and not sure it is working that well anymore. Tesla added a "honk to record" function but that is problematic from a functionality standpoint as you usually react to whatever the situation is vs. "OK now honk to record".

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
If the footage was being uploaded someplace outside of my control, I would be right there with you! I don't want someone else being able to look at my footage without my knowledge. If it's stored locally in the vehicle on a memory card, I can use it when needed, or if I don't want to record I can just take out the card.
I can't argue with that. My argument was only about uploading stuff to the cloud. Also about making it mandatory.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
When PAAK fails , which is frequent enough to generate a multitude of threads on Mustang Mach-E forums, Ford suggest taking it out of pocket, bag, etc., and holding it next to the door for it to work. I've yet needed that with a Fob. So when you say "PAAK is easier than the fob", I'm forced to call BS on that. If you forget the Fob, you'll get a very quick reminder of that. If you use PAAK, and drive half away across town, there is no absolute guaranty that it will work for your return trip.
I was speaking about PAAK from a Tesla perspective, where it’s been great. There are occasionally some people who report issues, and we have a phone in our household that is a bit flaky with it at times — takes a bit for the car to wake up or recognize that phone. Most of the issues seem to trace back to the phones more so that the cars.

We have a gazillion of police agencies in this country ( did you know that Department of Education has a SWAT team?). Once this sort data is uploaded into the cloud, all of these peacekeepers will be tempted to access it willy nilly and search for for people to discipline. If you want to provide this stuff to various and sundry police agencies, that's your choice, but please include me out!!!
After seeing a couple of your other responses, I think we’ve had a bit of a miscommunication. I’m only advocating the use of cameras and the ability to record all the cameras that will be there on the vehicle. Not advocating for cloud storage or subscription services or anything like that. If Ford tries to tie it to could storage, then you can count me out of that as well. I only want it recording to my own devices where I have control over it.

As for police agencies, yes, I think a gazillion might be a representative term, perhaps even an underestimated one. Can’t say I much care for any of that either.

Wow, I hope its just an operating install that doesn't require different hardware.
It will most likely require different hardware for the main Infotainment unit. We shall see where that goes. And they may not simply flip over to Android on all their vehicles, but would probably phase it in with respective refreshes done to each model. I’m a bit surprised they didn’t go this route initially with the Lightning.

Sponsored

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
As many F150's that are sold, that's a metric fuckton of data to travel along the cellular network.
In addition, the amount of storage required for that from a retention standpoint is massive in it's own right.

I understand it would be nice, but it's not technologically feasible or cost justifiable at the moment.
Do you have stats you’re using for this? Just napkin math of ~900k F series vehicles sold per year using 0.8-4Mbps upload for triggered events (computer vision motion detection, impact detection, lost vehicle mode) seems well within abilities of most LTE/5G areas of the US. It seems an order of magnitude less than all the smartphones that do photo and video upload over cellular to iCloud and Google backup (~36 million iOS devices sold per year in the US, ~100 million Android /year in the US), let alone TikTok, Instagram, Facebook live, YouTube, Twitch. If Ford adopted retention patterns like security cam cloud solutions, it could likely just keep 24 hours in the cloud, with paid options for more, to manage the total data retention needs.
Sponsored

Last edited: