• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford-Cam?

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Does anyone know if Ford is planning to let us use all those wonderful cameras that the lightning has to record with (ala Tesla-Cam)? It would be a wonderful feature to have multidirectional dashcam recordings from those cameras in case of an incident.
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Highly doubtful...
Unlike a tesla, there's no place to put an SD card to record footage to.
Ford also sells rebranded dash cams through their accessories store.
Tesla doesn't use an SD card. You plug in a USB drive. There is at least one, if not multiple USB ports that connect to the infotainment system in the Ford. It could be very easily done in exactly the same manner that is done in the Tesla.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
This got me to thinking. The F150 it usually at the top of the list of stolen vehicles. They could do one better and upload the camera footage to the cloud. Also they should implement something along the lines of a pin or passcode to be able to drive the vehicle.

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
This got me to thinking. The F150 it usually at the top of the list of stolen vehicles. They could do one better and upload the camera footage to the cloud. Also they should implement something along the lines of a pin or passcode to be able to drive the vehicle.
As many F150's that are sold, that's a metric fuckton of data to travel along the cellular network.
In addition, the amount of storage required for that from a retention standpoint is massive in it's own right.

I understand it would be nice, but it's not technologically feasible or cost justifiable at the moment.

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Or they could upload the GPS coordinates of where the vehicle is. Oh wait, they already have that. Pretty sure that if you are trying to retrieve the vehicle, where it is more useful than how it was stolen.

The pin exists as part of Phone as a Key feature, but I don't see how that is more secure than the FOB.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
The problem with the fob, is they’re passive and the signal can be relayed and ultimately duplicated. Newer fobs are incorporating an interactive security measure — press button to start/drive car or enter PIN on the dash display. While once a novelty amongst glamour thieves, it’s becoming more common for people to walk around a building or house with a tablet/ phone and a small radio dish to intercept and relay a fob signal that they can then use to enter, start and drive away with a car.

Phone as a key is inherently more secure because the phones are a lot more capable in terms of passive software operation or by use of the NFC ability (close proximity Apple Pay/ etc..). Can also be set where the key only activates when the phone is unlocked and other security features beyond just being a passive key.

As for recording of cameras, there’s no reason Ford doesn’t offer this ability. My Expedition has a 360 degree camera setup via front, rear and side cameras. Absolutely no reason why they couldn’t incorporate DVR functionality and recording of those cameras. Same with all the front/rear integrated cams that have been around for years. I’m hoping Ford will move to this by default once they switch to Android from the SYNC system. Of course, that doesn’t help with first year F-150 Lightning. I’m honestly surprised they’re even messing with SYNC 4 on this truck, but they may have a contract to fulfill…

Cbaka27

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
Occupation
Sales
As many F150's that are sold, that's a metric fuckton of data to travel along the cellular network.
In addition, the amount of storage required for that from a retention standpoint is massive in it's own right.

I understand it would be nice, but it's not technologically feasible or cost justifiable at the moment.
I have been in tech for 25 years. I have never heard of that measure of data. It must be new.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The problem with the fob, is they’re passive and the signal can be relayed and ultimately duplicated. Newer fobs are incorporating an interactive security measure — press button to start/drive car or enter PIN on the dash display. While once a novelty amongst glamour thieves, it’s becoming more common for people to walk around a building or house with a tablet/ phone and a small radio dish to intercept and relay a fob signal that they can then use to enter, start and drive away with a car.

Phone as a key is inherently more secure because the phones are a lot more capable in terms of passive software operation or by use of the NFC ability (close proximity Apple Pay/ etc..). Can also be set where the key only activates when the phone is unlocked and other security features beyond just being a passive key.
So...Leave your Fob at home and use PAAK. You only need Fob, when getting the car serviced. But please don't insist on making life difficult for the rest of by demanding a PIN in addition to Fob.

As for recording of cameras, there’s no reason Ford doesn’t offer this ability. My Expedition has a 360 degree camera setup via front, rear and side cameras. Absolutely no reason why they couldn’t incorporate DVR functionality and recording of those cameras. Same with all the front/rear integrated cams that have been around for years. I’m hoping Ford will move to this by default once they switch to Android from the SYNC system. Of course, that doesn’t help with first year F-150 Lightning. I’m honestly surprised they’re even messing with SYNC 4 on this truck, but they may have a contract to fulfill…
Ok, you explained that it could be done. What you haven't explained is why should it be done.

OP
OP

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Ok, you explained that it could be done. What you haven't explained is why should it be done.
having built-in video footage would be invaluable on any job site or for an accident on the road. I know several officers who absolutely love being able to look at the footage and easily determine fault whenever a tesla is involved in an accident. The system already processes the video real-time for driving assist and/or automated driving. It should be a simple change to have it also save to a memory card.

If you're a contractor on a job site and something happens within view of the truck, it would be a great way to have video proof one way or the other.

Reactions: jas

Sponsored

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So...Leave your Fob at home and use PAAK. You only need Fob, when getting the car serviced. But please don't insist on making life difficult for the rest of by demanding a PIN in addition to Fob.
It’s an optional security measure. You don’t have to use it. We have PIN to drive on our Tesla, don’t use it. First off the car is garaged when home and it’s only an issue when the fob is near by. We only have one fob for the car, which is worthless and never used. Always Phone Keys and then everyone in the family has their phone as a key. We keep a key card in our wallets as backup. The key card is great — just like a credit card with chip. Hold it up to the A pillar and the car unlocks, tap it to the center console or just drop It into the little cubby hole in front of the cup holders to activate/start the car to drive.

Re: camera recording; Why should it not be done? I mean really, who doesn’t want to record the cameras? After having this functionality with Tesla, I don’t want to ever not have it. It’s amazing what it captures on our current car. Our previous Tesla didn’t record cameras, but I put in a dash cam + rear cam. Ended up using recorded footage from that car on three occasions — one of which was a serious road rage incident while my daughter was driving the car. We pulled the video when she got home and notified the cops, they arrested the other driver and took my daughter’s statement along with the video and charged the guy with reckless driving and attempted assault with a motor vehicle. Thankfully due to the video he bargained with the DA and my daughter didn’t have to give testimony in court. What caused him to do it? He admitted to being drunk and he hates Teslas and when he saw a young lady driving one I guess he felt obligated to brake check her a couple times and then attempt to run her off the road, almost crashing into other cars and mostly losing control of his own truck more than once.

To put it bluntly, unless you’re a shitty driver, you want this. If you’re in doubt as to why camera recording is a must-have feature for many of us, just check out the Wham Bam Tesla Cam site.

Most car makers are not on the same page as their customers when it comes to all the camera features. It’s not that they’re against recording cameras and such, it’s just that they’re that bad at implementing tech features. They also love to slowly increment features with each new model year. And many consumers are wowed by things like having bluetooth and WiFi hotspots that literally cost between $2 and $10 on the cost of the whole vehicle, yet they’re key selling points and marketing fodder, bundled into “luxury” packages and other upgrades for big $$$.

I put front and rear cameras in my 2018 Expedition, my daughter’s MINI Clubman and a few other cars we drive regularly.

Saved me paying to fix the rear bumper on my Expedition a year ago. Someone backed into it at the grocery store and left. But I had the video with an excellent view of their license plate and the lady who got out of her truck to inspect the damage and look around before taking off.

I see lots of shit. I drive between 35K+ miles per year, just me, between AZ, CO, NM, UT…. There’s always people trying to beat the light, not seeing a stop sign or texting or whatever. Tons of road rage these days…. Seems to have become 10X worse as we emerge from this BS pandemic.

Oh, and insurance rates are way lower with the cameras too. Although some insurance companies are not onboard with it. I know one insurance agent who hates car cams, especially Teslas with full camera coverage. Why? Because he insures motorcycles.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
having built-in video footage would be invaluable on any job site or for an accident on the road. I know several officers who absolutely love being able to look at the footage and easily determine fault whenever a tesla is involved in an accident. The system already processes the video real-time for driving assist and/or automated driving. It should be a simple change to have it also save to a memory card.

If you're a contractor on a job site and something happens within view of the truck, it would be a great way to have video proof one way or the other.
For me, that a hard pass on the police state tactics.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It’s an optional security measure. You don’t have to use it. We have PIN to drive on our Tesla, don’t use it. First off the car is garaged when home and it’s only an issue when the fob is near by. We only have one fob for the car, which is worthless and never used. Always Phone Keys and then everyone in the family has their phone as a key. We keep a key card in our wallets as backup. The key card is great — just like a credit card with chip. Hold it up to the A pillar and the car unlocks, tap it to the center console or just drop It into the little cubby hole in front of the cup holders to activate/start the car to drive.
At least with Ford, the Fob is not worthless. You need it when you take the car in for service. But I get your point, this PAAK, PINs, wallet cards are so much simpler than the very complex and confusing process of dropping a Fob in your pocket when you leave, and taking it out when you comeback.

To put it bluntly, unless you’re a shitty driver, you want this. If you’re in doubt as to why camera recording is a must-have feature for many of us, just check out the Wham Bam Tesla Cam site.
To put it even more bluntly: you may want this — I do not. Because Wham Bam police state.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For me, that a hard pass on the police state tactics.
How is that “police state tactics”? Sometimes it’s about protecting what is already yours.
At least with Ford, the Fob is not worthless. You need it when you take the car in for service. But I get your point, this PAAK, PINs, wallet cards are so much simpler than the very complex and confusing process of dropping a Fob in your pocket when you leave, and taking it out when you comeback.
PAAK is easier than the fob. I drop it in my pocket when I leave and can take it out when I come back. Added bonus is I don’t forget to bring my phone and don’t need an additional fob. All depends on how you have it set to your liking.

It works just like a fob if you want it to, no other interaction, just have the phone with you in a pocket or bag and you’re good to go. Additional layers of security are there for those who want them. PIN to drive or phone interaction on top of PAAK is handy if your phone gets lost or stolen — someone can’t take the phone to the parking lot and just drive off with your car.

To put it even more bluntly: you may want this — I do not. Because Wham Bam police state.
Not sure how this equates to police state. Sometimes it’s about protecting what is already yours and ensuring liability is placed where applicable when someone causes damage to you and your property.

I own businesses, I have cameras and security systems. I own cars and other nice things, I have the means to watch them. And not just watch them, but the ability to watch, re-watch, analyze and the increased knowledge to address incidents that would otherwise go unexplained.

I suppose you may not like that soon every car on the road will be recording everything around them and you may feel as if your freedoms are being infringed. Yes, everyone is watching…. It’s been that way for a while and it continues to expand. On a certain level I don’t like it either, but I’m also free to watch every detail around me and on my own terms. This has already proven invaluable to me and my family. Not so much a police state, this is another great equalizer as the tech is available everywhere and to anyone.

If you don’t want it, that’s fine. Your freedom of choice. By the same logic, you probably don’t want navigation with real-time traffic info because of all the monitoring required to provide those services.

On another note… If Ford tries to do what some other automakers are doing; making the camera recording a subscription service, I won’t buy into that. Will do my own solution. The trend of pushing everything we do into a billable service with no added benefit has to stop.

Ford is aware of the demand for camera recording. it’s been acknowledged as one of the top requested features for the Mach-E. There is no data to show whether or not it has affected sales because Mach-E is for the most part completely sold out. It’s also a highly requested feature for the Bronco to have more trail cam options and recording.

Reactions: jas

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PAAK is easier than the fob. I drop it in my pocket when I leave and can take it out when I come back. Added bonus is I don’t forget to bring my phone and don’t need an additional fob. All depends on how you have it set to your liking.
When PAAK fails , which is frequent enough to generate a multitude of threads on Mustang Mach-E forums, Ford suggest taking it out of pocket, bag, etc., and holding it next to the door for it to work. I've yet needed that with a Fob. So when you say "PAAK is easier than the fob", I'm forced to call BS on that. If you forget the Fob, you'll get a very quick reminder of that. If you use PAAK, and drive half away across town, there is no absolute guaranty that it will work for your return trip.

How is that “police state tactics”? Sometimes it’s about protecting what is already yours.
We have a gazillion of police agencies in this country ( did you know that Department of Education has a SWAT team?). Once this sort data is uploaded into the cloud, all of these peacekeepers will be tempted to access it willy nilly and search for for people to discipline. If you want to provide this stuff to various and sundry police agencies, that's your choice, but please include me out!!!
Sponsored