Sponsored

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
I think that's logical. Ford could credit the equivalent of say $200 in FordPass Rewards and I'd be fine with it.
It seems to me if they can put it in a new truck today, they can put it in my truck at the dealership today and fix OTA some time next year or whatever is the holdup.
Yeah I mean what is more logical is to just credit the $600 still due to for the three year subscription when it comes out. For mine at least I paid $995 for the "hardware" and will pay $600 to activate when it becomes available. It would be reasonable to waive the latter (or at least a year of it).
Sponsored

tcp

First Name
Trieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum, 2019 Accord
Occupation
IT MGR
Yeah I mean what is more logical is to just credit the $600 still due to for the three year subscription when it comes out. For mine at least I paid $995 for the "hardware" and will pay $600 to activate when it becomes available. It would be reasonable to waive the latter (or at least a year of it).
What if we keep tagging this fella @Ford Motor Company in every response........ your wishes may come true? Worth a shot!

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
While I understand your point, the uproar is not about how safe or not the feature is. The point is the fact that a feature was promised and sold to customers that now Ford is dragging their feet on. If we hadn't paid thousands of dollars already for it, then so be it if it needs to be delayed. But the fact that we already paid for it and do not have it is deceptive selling practices and will likely take a class action suit to resolve.
Basically a breach of contract IMHO...wonder what the lawyers have to say?

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
They better or they will be in court for sure.

dougbillings

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum - Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Software Sales
Blue Cruise is literally THE only reason I traded in my 2018 Sierra for my 2021 Platinum in December 2020. Otherwise, I would've just bought another GMC. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck, but little things like random rattles and weird software bugs that cause the gauge cluster and sync to reboot mid drive along with Blue Cruise OTA getting pushed back WHILE others are able to get it in new trucks are making me start to regret my choices. I wonder if there will be a lawsuit. If so, I'd gladly hop on. This is the classic bait and switch that folks warned me about when I said I was going to buy a Ford. I am not happy about this one bit. I just wish that the 2022 GMC trucks were releasing before the end of the year so that I could trade in for one of them and write it off on this years taxes. As it stands, I'll probably be getting one anyway as soon as I can.

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Blue Cruise is literally THE only reason I traded in my 2018 Sierra for my 2021 Platinum in December 2020. Otherwise, I would've just bought another GMC. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck, but little things like random rattles and weird software bugs that cause the gauge cluster and sync to reboot mid drive along with Blue Cruise OTA getting pushed back WHILE others are able to get it in new trucks are making me start to regret my choices. I wonder if there will be a lawsuit. If so, I'd gladly hop on. This is the classic bait and switch that folks warned me about when I said I was going to buy a Ford. I am not happy about this one bit. I just wish that the 2022 GMC trucks were releasing before the end of the year so that I could trade in for one of them and write it off on this years taxes. As it stands, I'll probably be getting one anyway as soon as I can.
Well, just about every modern vehicle has these gremlins. My F-150 Prius has been trouble free for 8 months and 12,000 miles (except for the transmission shifts which was fixed … with software … : )

Anyway, just don't ever buy a Tesla! … you might think of Tesla as the high tech leader, but its software is … not as good as it could be. It's really a battery company that sells cars and builds big factories … to make batteries.

I delayed getting a new RAM in 2020 because of the software bugs, glitches and quality problems (and the low mpg from their "mild" hybrid, which is really just a belt drive starter motor … though I do wish Ford had built a turbo V8 hybrid …)

As for the prospect of a law suit, I'd say zero likelihood. Somewhere in the pages of contracts we sign there will be numerous "subject to change without notice" disclaimers and the whole idea of BlueCruise was on the premise of it being a future product.

Still, I think the thing to do is ask your dealer to arrange to install it for you and not wait for the OTA. If enough of us all make the same request, maybe someone in Ford sees it as a win-win and figures out how to make it happen. They can basically build the whole truck at the dealer, so a major software update shouldn't be a big deal. This assumes our trucks are not missing some damn chips …

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
Not at all the same thing. BlueCruise uses additional mapping data including LIDAR mapped highway information (HD maps) along with ultra precise GPS for determining lane position etc. BlueCruise type systems use way more data and are therefore significantly safer than “the weight” system. This is why people keep dying with Autopilot - it isn’t designed the same way BlueCruise/SuperCruise and other upcoming systems (like Toyota Teammate are). By cheating this system you are putting your life and other lives at risk, as well as putting yourself in potential legal liability for reckless driving in case of an accident.
I believe what you are saying may be misinterpreted by some as an awesome system for lane centering, but if I'm wrong please correct me. When you say that "lane position" is determined by HD maps with ultra precise GPS, I think that the way the system works may be better described as the hands free capability can be turned on and off based on GPS location (basically a geofence). I'm guessing that there are portions of some highways that still confuse the software, and in these cases the GPS input to the software is used to turn off Bluecruise. I personally wouldn't want lane position (lane centering) to be based on GPS.

I do not plan to try to defeat the system even if it worked liked Bluecruise. Mainly, I wouldn't want junk hanging off my steering wheel. The 360 Co-Pilot Assist 2.0 as is actually makes my commutes easy enough. For example sometimes my arm gets tired, but with lane centering I'm still holding the steering wheel but not as tight, and sometimes resting my arm more at the 6 o'clock position. With my hands on the wheel, lane centering provides great feedback and really does help with driving fatigue.

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
It may come to pass that, at roughly the time BC OTA becomes available, Ford awards all owners equipped with the Prep package a Ford Pass Rewards credit. It would be serve both as an incentive to subscribe, since the actual sub cost would be partially offset, and a form of apology or attempted good will. (Ford generally seems to have a bias towards after-the-fact customer relations efforts). This notion may sound too optimistic but, while waiting for and then after delivery of my Lariat, I received two reasonably sized Ford Pass awards simply because of prior issues that affected me.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
I believe what you are saying may be misinterpreted by some as an awesome system for lane centering, but if I'm wrong please correct me. When you say that "lane position" is determined by HD maps with ultra precise GPS, I think that the way the system works may be better described as the hands free capability can be turned on and off based on GPS location (basically a geofence). I'm guessing that there are portions of some highways that still confuse the software, and in these cases the GPS input to the software is used to turn off Bluecruise. I personally wouldn't want lane position (lane centering) to be based on GPS.

I do not plan to try to defeat the system even if it worked liked Bluecruise. Mainly, I wouldn't want junk hanging off my steering wheel. The 360 Co-Pilot Assist 2.0 as is actually makes my commutes easy enough. For example sometimes my arm gets tired, but with lane centering I'm still holding the steering wheel but not as tight, and sometimes resting my arm more at the 6 o'clock position. With my hands on the wheel, lane centering provides great feedback and really does help with driving fatigue.
Sorry - correct it doesn’t handle lane centering (at least my understanding) though also not just for geofencing. It is used with other mapping data to detect anomalies (for instance lane closures or construction changes etc) for determining when a driver may need to take over. I’m not 100% clear on BC but from my reading on SuperCruise and interviews I’ve listened to with Teammate engineers (which are similar systems) this is a critical part of hands off engineering.

Also I agree with you that even hands on the wheel co-pilot assist is great! We have a weekend house that is a 3 hour drive on mostly 2 way 65mph roads and it works most of the drive and makes it significantly less stressful. Lane centering even in the regular system is significantly better than our CR-V and it makes the drive much more relaxing, even if it requires some input.

NewtruckinFL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Real Estate
Interesting article and nice to see the Gen14 forum getting some props! I am wondering why Mr. Levine is not providing this information to the customers who purchased the product and who have not heard anything official from Ford since Early Access members were told in August to expect it to arrive in "weeks." Even the delay to 1Q22(!) was only offered on the earnings call, not to consumers. I for one primarily purchased the F150 for the BlueCruise capability. I could not have imagined when taking possession of the vehicle over the summer that I would need to wait six+ months longer than people receiving the truck a month or two later for this feature. If it was to wait for a better software program, I guess that would make it easier. If I had received some communication that there would be a delay, rather than reading it on the CNBC website, I would also have been more understanding. But a delay to wait for six or more months for the same old software that current buyers are using today is not great.

Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
Based on the article, it is obvious that blue cruise is ready, the problem is that OTA is not ready. While that is a huge irritation, I would much rather them get the OTA right than brick my truck and having to tow it in for a software rewrite. While it is encouraging to hear that dealer updates will be available to speed up the processes, why does that have to wait until Q1? Dealers already do software updates everyday (I've had several on my Mach-E), and this would be a way for dealers to get some people through the building while inventories are still low. I will do close to 3,500 miles between Thanksgiving and New Years, 95% of it on blue cruise enabled roads... was really counting on this coming in before the Holiday season.

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
I feel ripped off and will be talking to our legal dept. about this.