Sponsored

Ford and Toyota Both Have Hybrid Truck Engines Now. The Path There Was A Weird One

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
Great story because pictures tell it better!
Our grandpa's would call this stuff science fiction. ?

Amazing trucks
Most importantly, I proved my pot pie wasn't a lie.
Sponsored

oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 escape, '04 f150, '03 fjr1300, 21 xlt PB 2wd
Occupation
retired
My Yamaha is a 3000. It's a sweet inverter and is quiet and portable considering. But.... It's NOT as quiet as my Powerboost idling, much less when the ICE isn't. And although 150lbs might be something to brag about, there's a reason it's on wheels. I'm not lifting it into the bed of a truck.

And as you stated, with gas, it's easily 200lbs of cargo and still less power than 1 bank on the built in Powerboost generator.

I'm an RV full timer, and I travel in yet another RV. (Toy Hauler) The Powerboost is a game changer for me. I'm almost 6 months in and still pinching myself everytime I turn on "ProPower from my FordPass app.

And as someone else stated, the fact it gets better fuel mileage is just icing on the cake.

Again, I have deep respect for Toyota engineering prowess. But currently they still have considerable ground to make up. I hope they go for it.
My Yamaha is a 3000. It's a sweet inverter and is quiet and portable considering. But.... It's NOT as quiet as my Powerboost idling, much less when the ICE isn't. And although 150lbs might be something to brag about, there's a reason it's on wheels. I'm not lifting it into the bed of a truck.

And as you stated, with gas, it's easily 200lbs of cargo and still less power than 1 bank on the built in Powerboost generator.

I'm an RV full timer, and I travel in yet another RV. (Toy Hauler) The Powerboost is a game changer for me. I'm almost 6 months in and still pinching myself everytime I turn on "ProPower from my FordPass app.

And as someone else stated, the fact it gets better fuel mileage is just icing on the cake.

Again, I have deep respect for Toyota engineering prowess. But currently they still have considerable ground to make up. I hope they go for it.
everytime I turn on "ProPower from my FordPass app.
I have not been able to turn on Propower from the Fordpass app. How do you do that? I must have missed something. I have only been able to monitor with app.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
@oldschool

If the truck is close enough that you are connected to it via Bluetooth, the FordPass App increases its remote functionality to another level.

Basically the phone and truck have a direct "local" connection rather than a cloud based connection. (behind proxies)

Fortunately the truck seems to have a fairly powerful Bluetooth footprint and is easily accessible from inside an RV. Super cool.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Most importantly, I proved my pot pie wasn't a lie.
Yours look tastier than the Marie Calendar PotPies that I go-to. ?
Still, this old widower isn't complaining. I'm amazed with my pathetic cooking skills just how good they are.

Sponsored

oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 escape, '04 f150, '03 fjr1300, 21 xlt PB 2wd
Occupation
retired
@oldschool

If the truck is close enough that you are connected to it via Bluetooth, the FordPass App increases its remote functionality to another level.

Basically the phone and truck have a direct "local" connection rather than a cloud based connection. (behind proxies)

Fortunately the truck seems to have a fairly powerful Bluetooth footprint and is easily accessible from inside an RV. Super cool.
Thanks for the info....I had no idea. Pro-power is what I had hoped for.

130 Ghost_Riders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB
As a lot of people have said, I think the hybrid was a short notice move once they got an eye on what Ford did. Don’t forget Toyota has experience with hybrids so it wasn’t hard for them to add that capability but to match the generator and some of the other things that Ford did would take another year at least for them to handle the programming. It’s also why they put the battery under the back seat, Ford gave up some fuel space to put the battery and inverter under the bed and in between the frame.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They gave up 6 gallons of space to the optional 36 gallon tank, but still considerably bigger tank than the standard F150.
Also note that the increase in fuel efficiency almost exactly matches the range of the 36 gallon tank.

Ford really did a good job in the design stage of the Powerboost. Let's just hope that they can improve on the quality control a bit more.
My biggest concern is actually the daunting amount of electronics onboard. I'm not sure how brave I am about ownership beyond the Ford ESP extended warranty I have on this spaceship. Lol

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Ford really did a good job in the design stage of the Powerboost. Let's just hope that they can improve on the quality control a bit more.
I think that they did such a great job that it had to be an accident that corporate agreed to an engineer saying 'You know what, it wouldn't be that hard to utilize the hybrid drivetrain as a large generator.' and ran with it.

I was also thinking, it's really too bad Ford couldn't license the entire Powerboost F-150 to Toyota as the new Tundra, kind of like the new Supra but built by Toyota. It would be a win-win!

I also think that Toyota is stubborn enough that there will never be a hybrid Tundra that has an integrated generator. At least for this generation.

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I also think that Toyota is stubborn enough that there will never be a hybrid Tundra that has an integrated generator. At least for this generation.
The funny thing is that the North America Toyota HQ is in Dallas and many of the employees who were in on that decision, were also in the middle of the Texas winter storm power outages and saw all of the press that Ford was getting from their trucks powering up houses during the storm.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The funny thing is that the North America Toyota HQ is in Dallas and many of the employees who were in on that decision, were also in the middle of the Texas winter storm power outages and saw all of the press that Ford was getting from their trucks powering up houses during the storm.
No doubt!

But that lends credibility to the folks in manufacturing that would say the truck you see finally arriving at the dealership represents decisions made a loooooong time ago. Or put another way, if that Texas ICE Storm last winter influenced Toyota to add a 7.2KW generator like the Powerboost, it wouldn't show up yet. Maybe not for a couple of years.

It's not a software update or a new supplier for one component of an altered design.

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
I ran two jump house blowers yesterday. They only draw 1200 watts once going, but there is a huge spike when you turn the blowers on so I don't know if it would be feasible to run more than 2. Much quieter and easier to manage than the rental power generators. I was really hoping the new Tundra would have something like this, but I am very happy with the Powerboost!

Ford F-150 Ford and Toyota Both Have Hybrid Truck Engines Now. The Path There Was A Weird One IMG_20211031_123042227_HDR

Ford F-150 Ford and Toyota Both Have Hybrid Truck Engines Now. The Path There Was A Weird One IMG_20211031_122929839_HDR

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
I ran two jump house blowers yesterday. They only draw 1200 watts once going, but there is a huge spike when you turn the blowers on so I don't know if it would be feasible to run more than 2. Much quieter and easier to manage than the rental power generators. I was really hoping the new Tundra would have something like this, but I am very happy with the Powerboost!

IMG_20211031_123042227_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211031_122929839_HDR.jpg
Nice!!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That was a PERFECT example of what a Powerboost can do that NOTHING like it has ever existed before. So cool!

OP
OP
ekaddo

ekaddo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning,VolvoXC90T6, BMW1250RT
Occupation
Consultant
Interesting take on the Powerboost, compared to the diesel generators the reviewer uses to live off the grid:
F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid | The Hybrid For Non-Hybrid Shoppers
" Oct 29, 2021 • Sure, the F-150's hybrid system has a modest impact on fuel economy, but the real reason you'll want one is for the added horsepower and the 7,200 watt onboard AC inverter. Need to power a job site? No problem. A house during a blackout? Easy-peasy. An RV while parked without a noisy generator? You betcha. "

Sponsored