Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
Ford aims to double EV production capacity in two years, Farley says
The automaker’s 600,000-per-year EV global projection is double what it originally intended.

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/ford-aims-double-ev-production-capacity-two-years-farley-says

November 18, 2021 01:03 PM

DETROIT - Within 24 months Ford Motor Co. plans to become the No. 2 maker of electric vehicles in the U.S. behind only Tesla with the capacity to produce 600,000 EVs per year.

The automaker’s 600,000-per-year global EV projection is double what it originally intended, CEO Jim Farley told Automotive News. The production would be spread among its first three EVs: the Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning and E-Transit, and would come before its Blue Oval City campus in Tennessee comes online.

Once that occurs, Farley said Ford could challenge for “The demand is so much higher than we expected,” Farley said in an interview.

This story will be updated.
Advertisement

cts888

Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Ford Escape
Wonder if this means that in 2022 they make more than the 15-20k rumours for lightning

Skynetf150

First Name
Dylan
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 f150 5.0 customized
Occupation
Construction
I told all yous no way they aren't making more than what they said originally, everyone who reserved one will have it by 2023

Sklith

Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance 2020 Energica Ego
I told all yous no way they aren't making more than what they said originally, everyone who reserved one will have it by 2023
There's only so many batteries to go around. All of Ford's trucks have batteries with much more capacity than the Model S.

I'd be glad to see huge first year production from Ford but that's a lot of batteries.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
“The demand is so much higher than we expected,” Farley said in an interview.
Hopefully this quote will shut up the people who keep claiming that Ford expected this much demand for EVs. They were caught off-guard but I'm hoping they can actually back up the talk they're talking regarding production capacity.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Reaction score
Vehicles
Egolf
Darren Palmer(Ford) already denied the 15k rumor saying it wasn't even close.
He denied the rumor, but did not make any statement on More or Less :)

"We haven't given out numbers and they are not accurate" was his official line, and saying they have just been requesting volume increases. He did state that 80-90K in 2023 was the current target. But no statement about 2022 volume.

15-30K is probably the 2022 range

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Reaction score
Vehicles
Egolf
Hopefully this quote will shut up the people who keep claiming that Ford expected this much demand for EVs. They were caught off-guard but I'm hoping they can actually back up the talk they're talking regarding production capacity.
I personally do not buy they were caught off guard...

The monstrously that is the Tesla Cybertruck had, I think, 1 million reservations by the time they revealed the F150L... Any basic competitor review would have realized there was a big market for an EV Truck.

Pioneer74

Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I personally do not buy they were caught off guard...
I work for Ford. Trust me when I say that they were caught off guard. Ford didn't really understand the demand for the electric market until the Lightning debut. They went from planning minimal production volumes to changing whole future programs around BEV.

F150ROD

Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT on Order/Mazda Roadster Club/Model 3
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired/Student

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Reaction score
Vehicles
Egolf

I'm not seeing much here outside of fluff:

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...18/globalfoundries-ford-auto-chip-supply.html

"The companies have signed a non-binding agreement that opens the door for GF to create further semiconductor supply for Ford’s current vehicle lineup and joint research and development to address the growing demand for feature-rich chips to support the automotive industry. ?"

And, there's no information on when this would actually make an impact...

I doubt there's unused capacity anywhere that would help the semiconductor shortage in the near term... Most likely by the time there's any real action from this, the shortage would be over because at this point, everyone is ramping up to solve it.

F150ROD

Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT on Order/Mazda Roadster Club/Model 3
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired/Student
I'm not seeing much here outside of fluff:

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...18/globalfoundries-ford-auto-chip-supply.html

"The companies have signed a non-binding agreement that opens the door for GF to create further semiconductor supply for Ford’s current vehicle lineup and joint research and development to address the growing demand for feature-rich chips to support the automotive industry. ?"

And, there's no information on when this would actually make an impact...

I doubt there's unused capacity anywhere that would help the semiconductor shortage in the near term... Most likely by the time there's any real action from this, the shortage would be over because at this point, everyone is ramping up to solve it.
The point is they will hopefully stop relying on overseas manufacturing because this will happen again. It would have been worse if they just sat there and done nothing but wait.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
I work for Ford. Trust me when I say that they were caught off guard. Ford didn't really understand the demand for the electric market until the Lightning debut. They went from planning minimal production volumes to changing whole future programs around BEV.
As a vendor that works with several OEMs, I totally agree. It’s not just BEVs, it’s a lot of things that catch the major OEMs off guard. They can all be very reactionary. That even goes for Toyota and Honda.

Advertisement

Advertisement