First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Good deal. That is the one color you will have the highest chance of matching the best.
White doesn't have as many color variations, silver and red metallics being the worst, there are still different shades of white. Yes as Snakebitten pointed out, the hood being horizontal will not produce the shading difference as if it was vertical, the body shop will still blend the color into the fenders to get the best possible match. The hood will arrive e coated to prevent flash rust from forming. A good body shop will make the hood look better than factory while an ok shop will simply put back all the orange peel that came with the original paint job.
Sponsored

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I bet it looked something like this.

C9E1A8D3-E39D-426D-A1E4-FE08A48466CD.jpeg

This is a non-BAP with a BAP grille. They are compatible from a fitment standpoint, but not from a design standpoint as can be seen by the large hood latch notch in the grille which would normally be covered by the bull-nose BAP hood (and Tremor hood).
That looks awful! How does that even get loaded onto the train?

Is that some kind of "special order" that's supposed to get some kind of custom trim installed at the dealership or something?

I can't believe anyone would let that roll out of the factory unless there was some reason the buyer requested that.

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
That looks awful! How does that even get loaded onto the train?

Is that some kind of "special order" that's supposed to get some kind of custom trim installed at the dealership or something?

I can't believe anyone would let that roll out of the factory unless there was some reason the buyer requested that.
Not OEM. That was just a guy with a regular non-BAP that thought he wanted a black BAP grille, so he bought one and installed it. Took that picture then immediately took it back off because it looked terrible.

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Not OEM. That was just a guy with a regular non-BAP that thought he wanted a black BAP grille, so he bought one and installed it. Took that picture then immediately took it back off because it looked terrible.
I can see why someone would do that. It would look pretty cool if there were some extra trim pieces to fill in the blanks.

It's really taking the aftermarket parts guys a long time with these GEN14s. There are a lot of cool upgrades I'd love to do to my truck but the parts I want just aren't available for the GEN14s yet.

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
It just arrived today,and I ordered it with bap,and that’s what it looks like..and what sucks more is it’s a long weekend here in Canada as well as the USA Plus all ford plants are on summer break for 2 weeks so by the time they build and paint a replacement hood it will September at which point they can keep it
Foul play at hand. Somebody swapped hoods somewhere. If it’s a BOP it says it on window sticker. They will fix it I’m sure. CRAZy stuff. I gotta know how this turns out. What they tell you??

Sponsored

OP
OP

LeadFoot-Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat
Foul play at hand. Somebody swapped hoods somewhere. If it’s a BOP it says it on window sticker. They will fix it I’m sure. CRAZy stuff. I gotta know how this turns out. What they tell you??
with it being holidays in Canada and USA and summer break haven’t heard anything,

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
That sucks How can the dealer make that right, order a hood and have their body shop paint it, never be the same as factory paint I hate to say it but pass it up and reorder.

I just picked up my Platinum last week and yesterday I noticed a small ding on the top of passenger fender looked in pictures at dealer an it was there just never noticed. May have happened in transit who knows
Now I cant walk by it without looking at it

What happened to end of line quality control
Defiantly makes you wonder.
There is nothing magic about factory paint.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
There is nothing magic about factory paint.
Maybe no magic but it is different in how it is cured and there is something to be said for the whole vehicle being painted at once. I have a silver car that needed 1 fender and the hood replayed. They nailed the color but it does chip easier. I see a lot of silver and white cars on the road where a door or fender was resprayed and is a different look in certain lighting.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe no magic but it is different in how it is cured and there is something to be said for the whole vehicle being painted at once. I have a silver car that needed 1 fender and the hood replayed. They nailed the color but it does chip easier. I see a lot of silver and white cars on the road where a door or fender was resprayed and is a different look in certain lighting.
The only difference is factory is cured faster. Not better. Not harder. Just faster.

There are many reasons why a panel may look different. How old is paint? If old, was the whole vehicle buffed? Rest of vehicle could be faded a bit. If shop didnt buff entire vehicle, it will never match.

There is no difference. Only poor or incomplete work.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
The only difference is factory is cured faster. Not better. Not harder. Just faster.

There are many reasons why a panel may look different. How old is paint? If old, was the whole vehicle buffed? Rest of vehicle could be faded a bit. If shop didnt buff entire vehicle, it will never match.

There is no difference. Only poor or incomplete work.
I may be more sensitive to color and metalic match than some.

I've been in automotive paint shops all over the world over the past 35 years and deal with paint performance testing frequently. There are definitely differences, good and bad. Everything about how paint is mixed, delivered, cured and even ambient air conditions matter. It may or may not create a visual difference to the average consumer but the data says it matters. You have no idea how much havoc can be created by humidity, oven temper ramp up rates and the balance of chemicals in the wash system.

Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I may be more sensitive to color and metalic match than some.

I've been in automotive paint shops all over the world over the past 35 years and deal with paint performance testing frequently. There are definitely differences, good and bad. Everything about how paint is mixed, delivered, cured and even ambient air conditions matter. It may or may not create a visual difference to the average consumer but the data says it matters. You have no idea how much havoc can be created by humidity, oven temper ramp up rates and the balance of chemicals in the wash system.
Yes I do know.

You are talking paint in general. There is no difference or magic with factory paint.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Yes I do know.

You are talking paint in general. There is no difference or magic with factory paint.
I totally agree for most cars and most colors. There are some colors that are more difficult to match though simply because of complex batch variances and/or Tri-coat spray procedures.
A paint expert will tell you the job is "a piece of cake" or he might say "that color is a pain in the butt". :)

Regardless, on a Ford F150, a good painter can spray a better hood than the factory did. But it just depends if you get a professional and is he going to get paid what it takes.

Again though, in this instance it's just a hood. That actually makes the job less difficult in my opinion. A good painter can nail that job.

That sweet truck is going to end up in somebody's garage.

T

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
No offense to the OP, but just go get the truck and get a "we owe you" from the dealer saying they will replace the hood and any other issues you may find. You've waited this long and as you've said, your dealer will make care of you. To me, it seems like a silly reason to not get your truck as long as they are making it right. I do understand that you might feel like "what else could they have missed", but you've said you had a great dealer so lean on them for those issues and enjoy your truck.

As to those about the paint, it's paint. Get the dealer to guarantee it for the life of the paint job. I had to have 2 doors painted when I got mine. Dealer gave me a lifetime warranty that if for any reason it reacts any different than any of the "factory" paint, they will fix it all on them. This includes fading differently, chipping more, etc.

Also with as many problems as people on the forums here have had with the factory paint jobs from factory, I'm surprised that people are treating it like it's the holy grail of paint jobs. In this gen (maybe more the '22s) the paint has come out pretty sub par on a lot of trucks.

mdomicolo

First Name
Matty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22’ F-150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Union Electrician
So, to put the BAP grille on my Lariat Sport I need the BAP hood too.. but I’m wondering if there is anything else that’s different, latch etc.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Last edited: