Fold-down shifter issues??

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I originally ordered the 2021 XLT Sport, but the same day I paid my deposit I saw a YouTuber doing a first week owner review mentioning that his fold-down shifter was acting up.
He said that it wouldn’t go all the way up but only happened a couple of times when he first got the truck.

I immediately emailed my dealer and had him switch my order to an XL STX.
I’ve had my fair share of those kind of issues with my 2018 XLT to know that this shifter thing is gonna be a real problem.

One of my biggest issues has been with the cold weather door thing but at least with that you could still drive somewhere. But if your shifter decides to not come up one day you’re not going anywhere.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any surprises with their fold-down shifter.
Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
No shifter problems yet on my truck. I’ve only folded it down a couple of times and I don’t have the interior work surface.
Something to keep in mind, though.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited Powerboost
I originally ordered the 2021 XLT Sport, but the same day I paid my deposit I saw a YouTuber doing a first week owner review mentioning that his fold-down shifter was acting up.
He said that it wouldn’t go all the way up but only happened a couple of times when he first got the truck.

I immediately emailed my dealer and had him switch my order to an XL STX.
I’ve had my fair share of those kind of issues with my 2018 XLT to know that this shifter thing is gonna be a real problem.

One of my biggest issues has been with the cold weather door thing but at least with that you could still drive somewhere. But if your shifter decides to not come up one day you’re not going anywhere.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any surprises with their fold-down shifter.
I have not, but I wonder if he thought it wasn’t all the way up but it actually was. It doesn't go back up to top dead center, more like 10 or 11 o’clock. The shifter moves around a central pivot point, not back and forth like traditional console shifters. Takes a little getting used to. The first couple times I retracted it up I thought “is that all the way up?” Then I realized it doesn’t actually point straight up and down until it is in drive.

Ford F-150 Fold-down shifter issues?? 7827751A-0E1D-4A2A-A723-2ABB9E1F7A30

Ford F-150 Fold-down shifter issues?? D1B338FC-62A8-4228-89C9-4A8BE3309FBC

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I have not, but I wonder if he thought it wasn’t all the way up but it actually was. It does go up to too dead center, more like 10 or 11 o’clock. The shifter moves around a central pivot point, not back and forth like traditional console shifters. Takes a little getting used to. The first couple times I retracted it up I thought “is that all the way up?” Then I realized it doesn’t actually point straight up and down until it is in drive.

7827751A-0E1D-4A2A-A723-2ABB9E1F7A30.jpeg

D1B338FC-62A8-4228-89C9-4A8BE3309FBC.jpeg
Thanks for the pics and info. That leather interior is looking sweet.
I hope you and everyone else with that shifter go forward without any issues.

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Here’s a link to the video I was referring to and should’ve put in the original post:

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Sounds to me like he is pretty happy with it.

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I concur. Seems like he was fortunate enough to have everything work itself out. Hopefully it stays that way. How’s your vehicle doing kind sir??

timf343

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150; 2020 RAM 1500
Occupation
Engineer
I agree although I am personally skeptical that introducing this unnecessary mechanical component to a crucial system was a wise choice. My money is on the fold down shifter lasting only a single MY.

In my order I specifically chose not to get the work surface to avoid this shifter only to later realize it’s on the higher trims regardless.

If nothing else this little cubby hole is going to be a debris magnet.

SFD9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, 2021 f-150 on order
Occupation
Self
No shifter problems yet on my truck. I’ve only folded it down a couple of times and I don’t have the interior work surface.
Something to keep in mind, though.
do the shifters fold down in all the interiors like that? I thought it was only ones with the work surface so it wasn’t in the way?

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
To me, the fold down shifter seemed odd at first. No mechanical linkage from the gear shifter to the transmission? that’s a little unsettling. But, how many vehicles are push button or knobs for the shifter?

I’m no more concerned about the folding shifter breaking or malfunctioning then I am about anything else on the truck having issues. It could happen I’m sure, but I’m guessing there are probably a dozen more things that are far more technically complex on the truck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
do the shifters fold down in all the interiors like that? I thought it was only ones with the work surface so it wasn’t in the way?
Any model or trim with a floor shifter(instead of a column shifter) will have the fold-down shifter.
I personally think it’s cool and rather progressive but just too much of a risk to take with such a company.

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
To me, the fold down shifter seemed odd at first. No mechanical linkage from the gear shifter to the transmission? that’s a little unsettling. But, how many vehicles are push button or knobs for the shifter?

I’m no more concerned about the folding shifter breaking or malfunctioning then I am about anything else on the truck having issues. It could happen I’m sure, but I’m guessing there are probably a dozen more things that are far more technically complex on the truck.
I totally agree. I’m sure and also very hopeful that most owners will have great experiences with this new shifter but for me personally, I cannot afford to deal with that level of risk.

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I agree although I am personally skeptical that introducing this unnecessary mechanical component to a crucial system was a wise choice. My money is on the fold down shifter lasting only a single MY.

In my order I specifically chose not to get the work surface to avoid this shifter only to later realize it’s on the higher trims regardless.

If nothing else this little cubby hole is going to be a debris magnet.
I’m sorry my man but with or without the work surface, you’re getting the fold-down shifter.
I've done some fairly extensive research and the only way to avoid the new fold-down shifter is to NOT order a 2021 sport model or to buy any model from 2020 or previous.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Yep, the shifter folds even if you don’t have the work surface option. I though it was odd, but then realized it was perhaps a way to streamline parts. Make only one shifter.

jrappy

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 XLT EcoBoost Supercrew
Yep, the shifter folds even if you don’t have the work surface option. I though it was odd, but then realized it was perhaps a way to streamline parts. Make only one shifter.
Agree...mistake proofing it with only one floor shifter option
Sponsored