Sponsored

Fluid Film the chassis? (Corrosion protection)

hussar1683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB (on order)
How long are you guys planning on keeping your trucks? I keep reading all those threads about ceramic coatings, ppf, rust proofing, etc and in another thread I see the same names talking about trading their 2017 and even newer trucks!

This is my first F150 and I’m planning on keeping it for at least 7 years (longer if trouble free). Are Ford vehicles known for bad paint quality and rust issues? My current vehicle is 15 years old and I don’t have any rust. I always hand washed it with polymer wash&wax in one. Paint looks shiny and beads water pretty good. The front end shows some wear and tear but not bad for over 200k miles of blasting with road debris.

I obviously want my new truck to look good for years but on the others hand I don’t want to spend thousands of dollars on all those treatments. Do you guys think F150’s need more attention than other vehicles?
Sponsored

oncechance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, 302A, FX4, 3.5 EB, 6.5', Max Tow
How long are you guys planning on keeping your trucks? I keep reading all those threads about ceramic coatings, ppf, rust proofing, etc and in another thread I see the same names talking about trading their 2017 and even newer trucks!

This is my first F150 and I’m planning on keeping it for at least 7 years (longer if trouble free). Are Ford vehicles known for bad paint quality and rust issues? My current vehicle is 15 years old and I don’t have any rust. I always hand washed it with polymer wash&wax in one. Paint looks shiny and beads water pretty good. The front end shows some wear and tear but not bad for over 200k miles of blasting with road debris.

I obviously want my new truck to look good for years but on the others hand I don’t want to spend thousands of dollars on all those treatments. Do you guys think F150’s need more attention than other vehicles?
I"m with you. I plan on keeping my truck for an extended period of time, which is reason for getting an ESP and Krown rustproofing. Many on here are worried about resale value of their truck before even taking ownership of it.....

hussar1683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB (on order)
I"m with you. I plan on keeping my truck for an extended period of time, which is reason for getting an ESP and Krown rustproofing. Many on here are worried about resale value of their truck before even taking ownership of it.....
I’m getting an ESP as well. Never purchased additional warranty for anything before. Not gonna take a risk with my PB. This thing is more complex than a space shuttle

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Is there anything on the bottom of the trucks not to spray?
Besides brakes and exhaust obviously.

I keep seeing warnings online about not spraying rubber. Seems to me that any rubber on a vehicle should be oil resistant. 🤔

So far I've only used fluid film black on my rear axle and differential. I like the look so thinking of spraying it everywhere under there but I don't want to create problems.

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Just want to leave this nugget hear for you all:

Sponsored

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Blaster paid a bunch of YouTubers to shill their product. Fluid film and woolwax are every bit as good, and in my experience the ff cans are more reliable.
This guy mentions he got the product for free to test, doesn’t mention being paid, which is possible, I’ve always had success with Blaster products, FF and woolwax are definitely the old reliable kids on the block, just think people should know there’s another option.

Me personally, whole different route for rust/protection/prevention with this truck.

Eastwood internal frame spray each Fall.
Rustoleum Rust Reformer on trouble spots every Spring and Fall.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Look into cosmoline if you want a more permanent, or longer lasting wax - oil based protectant. That comes in cans too. Get a 360 long nozzle and you can do inside the frame. Comes in black too.

Last edited:

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I agree about the paid part with blashshield. I need to try it out regardless. In independent testing, blashshield and fluidfilm both did really well. I like cosmoline as well, but idk if it was part of the test. Everything grabs dirt and that's a little less than preferable. I wish there was something that dried on kinda like a paint

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Look into cosmoline if you want a more permanent, or longer lasting wax - oil based protectant. That comes in cans too. Get a 360 long nozzle and you can do inside the frame. Comes in black too.
Ever have a memory that is strictly smell based, yeap...

I agree about the paid part with blashshield. I need to try it out regardless. In independent testing, blashshield and fluidfilm both did really well. I like cosmoline as well, but idk if it was part of the test. Everything grabs dirt and that's a little less than preferable. I wish there was something that dried on kinda like a paint
Hence my approach

Eastwood internal frame spray each Fall.
Rustoleum Rust Reformer on trouble spots every Spring and Fall.
Nothing against the films or oils, but even cosmoline will need reapplication due to wear during offroading/on-road debries/etc.

I don't know if my approach is going to be the final one true approach to rule them all, but I know I've tried other approaches and I like this new one most so far, not to mention the cost isn't that drastically different, eastwoods internal stuff isn't exactly cheap, but it's a once a year application.

lrequa92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Supercrew STX 5.0L 4x4
I’ve been using NHOU for the last 6 or 7 years now and have had really good luck with it. I’ve already undercoated my truck for the season but next season I will be trying the blaster surface shield.
Sponsored