First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
Hopefully someone will come up with a kit that will work with a Powerboost. I've had exactly ONE passenger in the back seat, and their two comments: 1) Wow... this is a REALLY nice truck, but 2) This back seat is wicked uncomfortable!

"If wishes were horses, ..."
Sponsored

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I forgot to update this thread. I ended up buying this kit from LMI welding lmi 1520 SA. It essentially will shift the seat bottom forward by almost an inch which will in effect recline the seat back. It also has a bracket to reposition the seat back latches so they still function. It did make things more comfortable for the back seat passengers but for longer legged folks, the seat bottom was a bit too flat so I added some washer stacks to the bottom mounts to raise the seat bottom at the front.

I think that Ram and Toyota did a much better job with rear seat comfort and Ford didn't spend any effort to improve that from previous generations. As I have it now, it's good enough but definitely nowhere as comfortable as the front seats on long trips.
Do you have Propower under your seat? Wonder if accounts for that.

OP
OP
cakryg

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
The install directions were very well done and the fabricator was very responsive and helpful. The design is very simple and I could have bent these myself. But the quality of material and bolts is very good.

OP
OP
cakryg

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
If you have a doubt on if this fits the hybrid I'd recommend reaching out to the fabri8

Sponsored

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
The install directions were very well done and the fabricator was very responsive and helpful. The design is very simple and I could have bent these myself. But the quality of material and bolts is very good.
Would you mind snapping a pic? More space behind the seats would be way cool...

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I don't sit back there. My seat is comfortable :p

pleong

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I forgot to update this thread. I ended up buying this kit from LMI welding lmi 1520 SA. It essentially will shift the seat bottom forward by almost an inch which will in effect recline the seat back. It also has a bracket to reposition the seat back latches so they still function. It did make things more comfortable for the back seat passengers but for longer legged folks, the seat bottom was a bit too flat so I added some washer stacks to the bottom mounts to raise the seat bottom at the front.

I think that Ram and Toyota did a much better job with rear seat comfort and Ford didn't spend any effort to improve that from previous generations. As I have it now, it's good enough but definitely nowhere as comfortable as the front seats on long trips.
Will this work with the powerboost?

Sponsored

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Sport FX4
Occupation
Custom home builder
Thx for link folks. Giving this a shot to improve backseat comfort. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
cakryg

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
I've had this installed for over a year now and back seat occupants say its more comfortable. The only complaint I have is that the latching of the seat backs if you ever lower them. However I rarely have the need to do this. This is more an issue for the driver side than passenger side. This could already be an issue with the way Ford designed the seat back latch and that damn sliding pin.

If Ford is listening, please spend more time on the design of rear seat comfort and consider making these seats reclinable or even just adjustable. As somebody with long legs I feel the seat bottom should be longer like they were in my first gen tundra. I haven't tried the RAM rear seats but I've heard they are really comfortable. Also I think the desire to have the floor be flat in the back created issues for long legged folks. If there was a "well" about 3 inches deep in the floor, I'm guessing my thighs would actually touch the front edge of the seat bottom.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Great idea and really need more space behind the seats, but $170 is too much for pieces of bent and painted steel.

OP
OP
cakryg

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
Great idea and really need more space behind the seats, but $170 is too much for pieces of bent and painted steel.
I ask myself that same question all the time. Being that I'm not yet retired, my time still has some value to it and being that I'm an engineer, I do appreciate the value somebody put into measuring and perfecting their solution. Could I have fabricated these myself? Absolutely and it probably would be about 4 hours work since I don't have access to high tech tooling (cad and cnc). Is the product good and well thought out. I'd give it an 8/10 but I'm a tough grader. Was it worth the cost? For me, yes since it solved a problem of comfort. But then again, Ford should have addressed this during the design of the truck.

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Sport FX4
Occupation
Custom home builder
Rear seat passenger comfort being important to my daughters, I installed LMI kit yesterday with my youngest. Pretty straightforward if you're comfortable using a socket set and wrenches . Moving seat forward to max 2.5" setting improved recline position significantly. Stiff cloth XLT seats still a bit limiting of rear comfort but much better and worth the investment. I'll eventually replace with Katskin leather.

Few points to note regarding install:

1. Kit can be installed very easily without removing rear seat from vehicle. Just push front seats forward or remove rear seat headrests.

2. Furthest right and rear passenger side "SA" bracket install requires moving a wire harness that could otherwise be pinched. Simple enough to cut plastic cable hold and push wire forward, away from bracket. Some carpet and insulation trimming helped.

3. Had to drill bottom two holes (back wall and seat side) wider on driver side latch tube bracket as they were off 3/32 or so from reused factory back wall and factory latch hook holes. Again, simple.

4. Don't forget to extend rear driver side seat belt catch. That's where the eighth bracket goes for those of us who do not read directions.

That's it. Easy afternoon project which may seem expensive to some of you but not me as I'm paying for the ingenious design, not just the components.

Thanks LMI Welding!
Sponsored