Sponsored

Dannyboy80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost (SOLD)
Nice setup and, ahhh, I’m so jealous! Dying to take our TT out boondocking with the PB… Sadly, where we live, it’s way too cold and will be until Spring. 👎 Trying to convince the wife to head down south for a week or so in Jan purely out of impatience!

Only been able to take it out for a test pull this far and, damn, it’s like there’s nothing attached. Big difference from our prior tow rig!
Ford F-150 First tow of travel trailer with 2021 F-150 PowerBoost + ProPower Onboard Generator Test 98BABFD4-D7CF-4C29-8C48-6297C84051B0
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobraman428

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT
Nice setup and, ahhh, I’m so jealous! Dying to take our TT out boondocking with the PB… Sadly, where we live, it’s way too cold and will be until Spring. 👎 Trying to convince the wife to head down south for a week or so in Jan purely out of impatience!

Only been able to take it out for a test pull this far and, damn, it’s like there’s nothing attached. Big difference from our prior tow rig!
98BABFD4-D7CF-4C29-8C48-6297C84051B0.jpeg
Looks very cold there! We are getting our 4 days of Winter early down here near Tampa over Christmas.
Ford F-150 First tow of travel trailer with 2021 F-150 PowerBoost + ProPower Onboard Generator Test 1671563066990

Last edited:

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Just got my 2023 Flagstaff E-PRO 20FBS travel trailer last week and towed it home (30 miles). The TT GVWR is 4400# fully loaded and 3517# UVW, so my PB had no problems towing it. I tested the ProPower and turned on all the appliances and A/C. ProPower did a great job. I can be totally off the grid between the solar and PB. This truck is awesome. Doing some driveway camping to make sure everything is working before hitting the road.

F150EPRO1.jpg

F150EPRO2.JPG

F150EPRO3.JPG

F150EPRO4.JPG

F150EPRO5.JPG

F150EPRO1.JPG
I powered two travel trailers this summer in 90 Degree + heat with no issues. Enjoy!

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
That’s a pricey alternative to a Progressive Industries surge protector and a Micro Air soft start. The Micro Air is an easy install
Perhaps, but you can't get an easier install than the SoftStartUp! It also has power monitoring built in. And if you have two A/C units it's roughly the same price. I'd also suggest that while some of us are comfortable with doing electrical work (I do all of my work at home), most aren't. These instructions aren't exactly "easy" for most folks, and at 1-2 hours per A/C unit it's still a good bit of work. Of course whatever works best for you is what's best for you!

Happy Holidays.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Perhaps, but you can't get an easier install than the SoftStartUp! It also has power monitoring built in. And if you have two A/C units it's roughly the same price. I'd also suggest that while some of us are comfortable with doing electrical work (I do all of my work at home), most aren't. These instructions aren't exactly "easy" for most folks, and at 1-2 hours per A/C unit it's still a good bit of work. Of course whatever works best for you is what's best for you!

Happy Holidays.
Coming from someone who has gone through the trouble of climbing on the roof and wiring in the softstart for the Air Conditioner, I have to admit that the convenience of the new softstartRV is awesome. And although the tests show that the softstartRV is about a 50% drop in startup amps VS a 70% drop for the softstart, that's plenty of reduction to achieve the goal of affording our ProPower generators and ~2200 watt generators to power our 30Amp RV's. :)

Currently there's a $300 discount too!

I have multiple RV's. I think I will just grab one of these softstartRV adapters and not fuss with installing dedicated softstarts on the 2 RV's that I've not done so yet.

KDPGame02

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Software Development & Design
Coming from someone who has gone through the trouble of climbing on the roof and wiring in the softstart for the Air Conditioner, I have to admit that the convenience of the new softstartRV is awesome. And although the tests show that the softstartRV is about a 50% drop in startup amps VS a 70% drop for the softstart, that's plenty of reduction to achieve the goal of affording our ProPower generators and ~2200 watt generators to power our 30Amp RV's. :)

Currently there's a $300 discount too!

I have multiple RV's. I think I will just grab one of these softstartRV adapters and not fuss with installing dedicated softstarts on the 2 RV's that I've not done so yet.
I don't have a soft start on our AC, but I've never had an issue with the 7.2kw version handling the start up load. I understand the need for those with the 2.4kw version, but what is the benefit for the larger version?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't have a soft start on our AC, but I've never had an issue with the 7.2kw version handling the start up load. I understand the need for those with the 2.4kw version, but what is the benefit for the larger version?
I've had RV's before acquiring the Powerboost. So avoiding tripping the ShorePower breaker, the RV main breaker, and the Yamaha 3000 inverter have all been issues at one time or another.

On one of my RV's I can use ProPower with no issue, but while monitoring the draw there is a spike that is very substantial when the 15k BTU compressor kicks on. Again, the Powerboost does handle the spike, but with the softstart the spike is reduced to almost nothing. And rumors are the AC likes it as well.

KDPGame02

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Software Development & Design

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.
My pleasure.

The 1 of 3 RV's that I have with the biggest spike is a Brisk II 15K. It's a great air conditioner and is installed in the RV that I have lived in for about 7 years. It might just be this specific unit, but it has toasted the wire that has the thermal fuse on it twice. It's an inexpensive (relatively) repair, since I do it myself, and was the real reason I actually installed the softstart a few months ago.

So I think I nabbed 2 birds with the one stone. ProPower doesn't even break a momentary sweat now with the AC startup, and the amperage spike no longer taxes that thermal fuse and crispy pigtail.

The Texas Freeze tonight is about 2 years removed from THE Texas freeze that gave the new F150 Powerboost better national press than Ford could have ever dreamed of. I have owned a Powerboost for 20 months now. Feel free to read between the lines. 🤣

Yea, I was rolled up like a cacoon in 12F without power for a few days. At 63 years old, it was a lifetime low temp mark! I AM the bullseye target consumer for the mighty Powerboost. I don't believe I will ever be without one, or it's equal.

A little surprised it's entering into its 3rd year of production and still without peer.

Sponsored

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
NICE!!! I've got the meager 2k version on my EB. No TT yet....
Pure junk. I have a soft start and the 2kw cannot start my AC.

OP
OP
Cobraman428

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
VP of IT
My pleasure.

The 1 of 3 RV's that I have with the biggest spike is a Brisk II 15K. It's a great air conditioner and is installed in the RV that I have lived in for about 7 years. It might just be this specific unit, but it has toasted the wire that has the thermal fuse on it twice. It's an inexpensive (relatively) repair, since I do it myself, and was the real reason I actually installed the softstart a few months ago.

So I think I nabbed 2 birds with the one stone. ProPower doesn't even break a momentary sweat now with the AC startup, and the amperage spike no longer taxes that thermal fuse and crispy pigtail.

The Texas Freeze tonight is about 2 years removed from THE Texas freeze that gave the new F150 Powerboost better national press than Ford could have ever dreamed of. I have owned a Powerboost for 20 months now. Feel free to read between the lines. 🤣

Yea, I was rolled up like a cacoon in 12F without power for a few days. At 63 years old, it was a lifetime low temp mark! I AM the bullseye target consumer for the mighty Powerboost. I don't believe I will ever be without one, or it's equal.

A little surprised it's entering into its 3rd year of production and still without peer.
Can't wait to read all those posts and news coverage about the F150 PB's keeping people warm and the lights on!
I'm winterizing my new RV because we are going to be in the 20's here near Tampa for the next few nights.. The coldest XMAS in more than 30 years! Last few years it was mid 80's.

OP
OP
Cobraman428

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
VP of IT
Did some driveway setup / test with the Pro Power at night. Need to create a shield/shade for the instrument cluster, its way to bright and can't dim it enough.
Ford F-150 First tow of travel trailer with 2021 F-150 PowerBoost + ProPower Onboard Generator Test 1672171447246

Ford F-150 First tow of travel trailer with 2021 F-150 PowerBoost + ProPower Onboard Generator Test 1672171482434

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
Great thread! 2021 Lariat PB with a Winnebago Micro Minnie 2100BH here. We’re heading into our third summer now and it has been nothing short of amazing to camp on BLM land here in CO with no power concerns. Plug and play.

Ford F-150 First tow of travel trailer with 2021 F-150 PowerBoost + ProPower Onboard Generator Test E9FFB353-E765-4E17-9489-245FFE571CE6
Sponsored