First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500, 2020 GT500, 2020 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Chief Product Officer
Last night I towed my 24' enclosed race trailer for the first time. The trailer was empty towing to go pick up my car at the shop, empty weight was around 5,000lb. The truck pulled like a champ and felt very stable and never felt like it was stressed at all, way better than my 2019 Ram 1500. The issue for me was that running 70 or 75 the truck was getting 5 MPG. I have a power boost engine in this truck and was hoping to get some better MPG based on what I have read about the eco boost in general.

Other than MPG I was thrilled with how the truck towed, just somewhat blown away by poor mileage.

Anyone else have this issue? I read lots of good reviews before buying the truck pulling more weight than i was. I think in these cases it was a lower trailer, mine is a flat front enclosed trailer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. And yes I know I can drive slower, I didn't see any meaningful increase in economy until I was going 65, which is below the speed limit here.
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
One, don't believe the LOM. Two, you need to stay out of the boost. For me that generally meant 70 mph was it for speeds.
Ford F-150 First time Towing and Terrible MPG - PowerBoost IMG_20160804_085443999_HDR

I pulled a 24' enclosed car trailer with my 2016 F150 King Ranch 3.5l Ecoboost and would get 9-10mpg hand calculated on trips to and from Florida and Michigan.

OP
OP

jmphelan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500, 2020 GT500, 2020 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Chief Product Officer
One, don't believe the LOM. Two, you need to stay out of the boost. For me that generally meant 70 mph was it for speeds.
IMG_20160804_085443999_HDR.jpg

I pulled a 24' enclosed car trailer with my 2016 F150 King Ranch 3.5l Ecoboost and would get 9-10mpg hand calculated on trips to and from Florida and Michigan.
assume LOM is Lie-O-Meter for the gauge clusters estimate. Also have you towed with your new PowerBoost? What was your MPG like?

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
assume LOM is Lie-O-Meter for the gauge clusters estimate. Also have you towed with your new PowerBoost? What was your MPG like?
Yes correct assumption on the LOM. No actually not going to be towing anymore, at least cars. I do have a 277cc Cobia boat that I might tow but it's in rack storage on Lake St Clair so I don't anticipate taking it anywhere else.

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
Like Jus Cruisin, I pulled a 24' race car trailer, weight about 7,000lbs, with my 2016 3.5 Ecoboost with the older 6 speed transmission and always got between 8 and 9 mpg, running around 70mph. I can't believe the Powerboost, with an improved version of same engine and 10 speed transmission - even with the 3.73 rear end - would be any worse. Expect about the same. Advise you to hand calculate as suggested?

Sponsored

JPK

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost 7.2kw
Has anyone seen improvement with a bed cover or cap? I've made two - 200 mile trips on my 6 week old powerboost. Started towing at 1100 miles, (4500 lb. 26 ft ultralight travel trailer) I'm really disappointed with the fuel economy. Averaging about 10 mpg running at 65 mph max. Previous towing vehicle was a 2020 Explorer and I averaged 12 mpg over about a dozen trips. Expected much better with the Powerboost not worse Without the trailer Im getting 24 hwy. Seems maybe an aerodynamics thing...I certainly notice the wind more with this truck

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Several threads floating around testing/stating that leaving it in 8 or 9th gear while towing will get you a small improvement with MPG than letting the transmission shift to 10. Also, TFL Youtube video discusses what/how the true MPG rating was derived. Finally, I think your PB engine disengages after certain speeds, so the PB engine won't help you with MPG at 70-75mph; your EcoBoost engine would have kicked in by then.

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
Yeah, what disco said. Lockout several of your gears, starting with at the very least 8th through 10th, sometimes I'll run mine and 7th just depending on how steep the hill is to keep boost to a minimum. But you don't want to be on a super long hill climb and 9th gear running 10 PSI the whole time. I did that and it helps a lot, as well as many of the guys even unloaded when you're going up a hill rather than letting the truck lug and tenth. I think that will help you a lot, just to be vigilant with locking those gears out, I used to keep it around 2200 RPMs going up steep hills. Still a lot lower RPM than a 5.0 pulling the same load for sure.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Last night I towed my 24' enclosed race trailer for the first time. The trailer was empty towing to go pick up my car at the shop, empty weight was around 5,000lb. The truck pulled like a champ and felt very stable and never felt like it was stressed at all, way better than my 2019 Ram 1500. The issue for me was that running 70 or 75 the truck was getting 5 MPG. I have a power boost engine in this truck and was hoping to get some better MPG based on what I have read about the eco boost in general.

Other than MPG I was thrilled with how the truck towed, just somewhat blown away by poor mileage.

Anyone else have this issue? I read lots of good reviews before buying the truck pulling more weight than i was. I think in these cases it was a lower trailer, mine is a flat front enclosed trailer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. And yes I know I can drive slower, I didn't see any meaningful increase in economy until I was going 65, which is below the speed limit here.
I tow a 5500+ pound travel that's 24.5' long. My PB has a 6.5' box and 4x4 with the 3.73 rear. On roads 65 Mph speed limit or higher, I drive 63 mph. I get in the right lane and let the world go by. I also lock out 8. 9, & 10 gears. This past weekend I got 10.5 mpg over 188 miles all interstate.

bbene

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 Lariat 502A Powerboost
Occupation
Software Engineer
I tow a 5500+ pound travel that's 24.5' long. My PB has a 6.5' box and 4x4 with the 3.73 rear. On roads 65 Mph speed limit or higher, I drive 63 mph. I get in the right lane and let the world go by. I also lock out 8. 9, & 10 gears. This past weekend I got 10.5 mpg over 188 miles all interstate.
I do the same. I'd rather take my time and get my family to our camping trips safe and not worrry about having to pass vehicles. Bonus points for when you end up behind a semi trailer and get to draft a bit lol

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Bonus points for when you end up behind a semi trailer and get to draft a bit lol
I'm always torn between being able to draft or worrying about getting a rock chip in my windshield when I end up behind a semi. I usually end up passing the semi... lol
Sponsored