First oil change?

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
The last time I was at my dealer (warranty work...grrrr), I asked the dealer to change the oil. The dealer said "oh, it's not time yet. Your truck will alert you when it needs fresh oil". I'm sitting just over 6K miles and I'm not anywhere near the first oil change alert. That seems a little bit obscene, even with modern technology, that my truck wants to go 10K miles before an oil refresh.

Ford F-150 First oil change? 1628616408083

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Changed my Powerboost at 901 miles. New Ford 500s filter and 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5-30 full synthetic extended service oil. Will do the same at about 2000 miles and then will set routine to 2500 miles per change. That will be 2 times a year, once in Spring and once in Fall. Maybe be a little excessive, but I do my own oil change and I keep my vehicle for 10 to 12 years.

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Changed my Powerboost at 901 miles. New Ford 500s filter and 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5-30 full synthetic extended service oil. Will do the same at about 2000 miles and then will set routine to 2500 miles per change. That will be 2 times a year, once in Spring and once in Fall. Maybe be a little excessive, but I do my own oil change and I keep my vehicle for 10 to 12 years.
If that is what you like there is nothing wrong with it. I have the oil ready for my new truck, but that is the new engine change. May go up to 1,000 miles or maybe less. it depends on how many things hurt when I get up that day. A friend of mine changes every 3,000 miles thinking of the "old days" when that was expected. I drive so few miles that I set mine at the 1 year change cycle. I just traded in my 2019 that had 8,300 miles on it and only 27 months. The second change on that 2019 oil was sent in and the "chemical guys" stated it would still be good oil if I used it for another 4,000 miles. It had 3,800 on it but the year had gone by. Todays oils last a long time.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I have the oil ready to go… still no truck yet lol. My plan is to change 1k into break-in then will probably be doing every other change myself.

For oil I got Costco branded, 10 quarts (two 5qt jugs in a box) of full synthetic for less than 25 bucks. A little suspicious, I researched it quickly and supposedly its actually pretty high quality stuff.

Considering the quick lubes around here charge 150 for a “truck full synthetic” I don’t see myself ever going there… For the ones I don’t do myself I would rather have the dealer do it, although it takes a lot longer there.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I just did my first oil change and tire rotation (Ford’s The Works package) at 1,100 miles. My thought was to give the engine oil a flush just after the 1,000 mile break-in period.

It is a hotly contested subject, but it was $60 and the piece of mind it’ll give me, and the potential investment into the longevity of the powertrain was worth it for me. Especially on a $70K truck I plan on having for quite some time!

The dealer did recommend service intervals every 5,000 miles if using their MotorCraft synthetic blend oil. I’ll take it back right around 5K for its first “official” service.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I have the oil ready to go… still no truck yet lol. My plan is to change 1k into break-in then will probably be doing every other change myself.

For oil I got Costco branded, 10 quarts (two 5qt jugs in a box) of full synthetic for less than 25 bucks. A little suspicious, I researched it quickly and supposedly its actually pretty high quality stuff.

Considering the quick lubes around here charge 150 for a “truck full synthetic” I don’t see myself ever going there… For the ones I don’t do myself I would rather have the dealer do it, although it takes a lot longer there.
I've been using the Kirkland oil for some time. It's the same as the Walmart oil. They're both from Warren I think from when I researched it a while back.

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired

That oil must have gold mixed in to cost that much.
Oh, wait a minute. I see you are in California where everything costs 3 to 5 times as much. sad.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
I feel that using full synthetic and just changing it when your truck says is your best bet. I have over 280,000 miles on a 2010 5.4 V8 and have performed oil changes in this manner, and the cam phasers and engine are all original with no issues

Ford wouldn’t put an oil life calculator that recommended oils changes at 7500-10,000 miles if it was going to damage their warrantied engines.

If people would research oil types and tests for those oils, they would find that paying a few extra bucks for the oil product Actually means it is a better oil vs the competition.

Most importantly, you want to make sure the oil meets or exceeds the new oil standard (GF-6 or GF-6A).

Conventional oil uses viscosity enhancers to make the oil a certain thickness, which breaks down over time, causing the oil to change viscosity as it ages.

Synthetic Oil is engineered at the molecular level to be the stated viscosity with little or no viscosity enhancers to break down. Meaning that synthetic oil is marked as 5w-30 will remain 5w-30 for the entire oil life. The oil filter will clean debris until it goes into bypass. If the oil filter isn’t bypassing the old synthetic oil, then there is no reason to change it early because age does not break synthetic oil down

This is why German cars which require full synthetic oil changes go 10,000 miles between changes, safely, and under warranty.

Full Synthetic Oil will make you engine last longer, regardless of how often you change your conventional oil blend.

Last edited:

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Strange experience with oil - I did my first change at 1,100 miles after a very careful pre-towing break-in, with no highway driving, then had the local Ford dealer do a synthetic oil change - and then towed a 9,750-pound trailer rig for 3,500 miles, at the end of which I got a "Change engine oil now" warning indicator at every start-up. So the truck has a smart oil management system - clearly "knew" it was worked super-hard for that period, so called for a very short oil change interval on its own, given that it has a 7,500-10,000 mile interval under regular conditions. Another miracle of modern computer systems...

Sponsored

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Builder
It seems to me that the transmission has many more moving parts than the engine, but we don't discuss the need to change that fluid after break-in. Same goes with the diffs and transfer case, if applicable. We change the engine oil most frequently because of the harsh environment (combustion, turbos, etc.) and it's not a "closed system" like the previously referenced components - there is exhaust gas constantly leaking past the piston rings, a feature of internal combustion engines. So, less to do with bits of metal possibly causing damage, more to do with the integrity of the viscosity.

That said, I'll still do it early.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I just did my first oil change at 1062 miles, but I have the 2.7 ecoboost and not the 5.0. I always do a first oil change at about 1000 miles. I don't know if it helps, but it eases my mind a little. When the truck gets to 5000 miles, I will take it to the dealer for oil changes, and every subsequent 5000 miles, since my dealer offers a lifetime warranty on engine, transmission, and some other parts if I get the oil changed every 5k or 6 months, whichever is sooner. That sure beats the 3 year / 36k warranty....

Della Nelson

First Name
Della
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Frod f150 2021 , Frod rangre
Occupation
nail
can anyone please let me know. Don't know what people think about Valvoline oil. Last weekend I received Valvoline coupon but was wondering if their quality is good. If anyone knows, please advise me.
Thank You

Last edited:

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
can anyone please let me know. Don't know what people think about Valvoline oil. Last weekend I received Valvoline coupon but was wondering if their quality is good. If anyone knows, please advise me.
Thank You
For what it is worth.

A number of years ago a new Valvoline oil change facility was built by me. I received a Grand Opening coupon and researched their full synthetic oil. It actually got quite good reviews. I gave them a try. I thought they were really good with the service and I never had any reason to think the oil was bad. I have used Mobil 1 my whole life (going back to when it was a group 4 oil) and I love that oil but so far, the Valvoline seems good too. Good luck with your choice.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Just to comment on the title of this thread.

I will pick up my truck at Granger and drive it home 1100 miles. I plan to baby it driving home and following the guidelines given in the new vehicle manual. I will snap on the filter magnets (Franken Mags - FM) when I leave Iowa and I will probably have the oil changed shortly after I arrive home. I will probably have about 1400-1500 miles on it when I change the oil for the 1st time. I will probably change it again at about 5000 and then yearly if I drive less than 5000 a year. I will use full synthetic as I have had nothing but a lifetime of good luck with it. After a couple of oil changes I will stop using the FM as there is diminishing returns.

Ford F-150 First oil change? Franken Mag.JPG
Sponsored