First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I like learning stuff, and I wonder why some stuff previously learned is discarded as no longer applicable. To me, the advantage of purchasing a new vehicle is in the knowledge of its history and care. Break-in is especially important to an engine. Metal is lost during this period quickly, at first. If not effectively filtered, I am reluctant to allow the remaining metal to remain as an abrasive to release more metal prematurely. Now at just over 150 miles, I am planning on the first oil change at 1,000 miles and on keeping my F150 until we are both beyond reasonable repair.
Sponsored

Desertdweller

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PowerBoost FX 4
Occupation
Retired
I'm not doubting you finding metal in the oil but I'm surprised the oil filter didn't catch the metal. Those are some sizable chunks.
I was surprised also, but to give everyone some perspective the diameter of that magnet is around .375".

oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 escape, '04 f150, '03 fjr1300, 21 xlt PB 2wd
Occupation
retired
I was surprised also, but to give everyone some perspective the diameter of that magnet is around .375".
On my first oil change, I plan to open the filter and look at the trash in the pleats of the filter. On other new vehicles the particles appeared to be the size of sprinkled pepper (very small quantity).
It is a task to unroll the edge of the seam that holds the baseplate into the can. If I remember correctly, I think someone sells a tool for cutting open filters. This might be your first indication if your engine has a problem.

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
Granted the size of the magnet is small but it doesn't take much to trash an engine. Good quality oil filters are worth their weight in gold. Or lumber given the outrageous prices lately.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
I already did mine at about 1400 miles. I'm not sure what gorilla they had installing the filters of the 5.0L assembly line, but they need to lay off the steroids. I installed Mobile 1 Advanced 5W-30 Full Synthetic Extended Performance, and a K&N filter with the 1" nut on the end so next time I KNOW I can get it off without tearing up my hands.

I didn't get any photos of it but there was a small amount of metal in the old filter, and a little bit more in the used oil, but it was such a minor amount compared to what I see after breaking-in a new aircraft engine that it didn't even phase me. I'll check again in another 3-5k miles, but I expect it's likely done shedding at this point.

Sponsored

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Anyone know if the oil plug on the 2021 2.7 is the same size as was on the 2019 2.7?
I ask because I have a special plug to install if it fits that allows you to s-l-o-w-l-y drain the oil and not hit the cross bar that was on my 2019.

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Anyone know if the oil plug on the 2021 2.7 is the same size as was on the 2019 2.7?
I ask because I have a special plug to install if it fits that allows you to s-l-o-w-l-y drain the oil and not hit the cross bar that was on my 2019.
Mine had a metal oil pan with metal plug instead of the plastic one so I think its different. Also the drain plug is facing the passenger side now instead of the rear so no more oil on the cross bar.

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran

Check out this video, Its a 5.0 engine so might be different than yours. Just peek under and check if you can see it.

Mike D

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT sport 302A
Occupation
Gov
I changed mine at 1K miles, then again at 3K miles using full synthetic (Amsoil). Probably will routinely change at every 5K or so now. This might be excessive, who knows, but it makes me feel good and that's what it's all about.

DirtFreak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Ford F250
Occupation
Retired ( paper maker )
You use to be able to buy a magnet that went on the outside of the filter called FILTER MAG . It goes buy the diameter of the filter. www.shopfiltermag.com.
Ford F-150 First oil change? ftm-ss250_oh_xl

Sponsored

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
I changed mine at 1K miles, then again at 3K miles using full synthetic (Amsoil). Probably will routinely change at every 5K or so now. This might be excessive, who knows, but it makes me feel good and that's what it's all about.
How you liking the amsoil?

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Mine had a metal oil pan with metal plug instead of the plastic one so I think its different. Also the drain plug is facing the passenger side now instead of the rear so no more oil on the cross bar.
Yours is a 5.0 and mine is a little 2.7
I would think they would be very different.
Guess I will crawl under mine and see what I can find.
!!!!!!!Saw your video. I sure hope you had more than the floor jack holding that truck up! Jack stands, 6 X 6 solid oak blocks, etc. Just the jack is very dangerous.

Last edited:

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
Yours is a 5.0 and mine is a little 2.7
I would think they would be very different.
Guess I will crawl under mine and see what I can find.
!!!!!!!Saw your video. I sure hope you had more than the floor jack holding that truck up! Jack stands, 6 X 6 solid oak blocks, etc. Just the jack is very dangerous.
Sorry for not clarifying lol its not my video just one I saw on YouTube but I agree with you that's very unsafe!!! When I changed my oil I didn't even have to jack it up, plenty of space to crawl underneath. You should be able to see your oil pan by just peeking underneath to check what set up you have. (y)

cverdone

First Name
Chaz F-150
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 powerboost
Anyone use Amsoil and not the motorcraft products. Amsoil says 15k to a year oil change with their oil. I changed my front and rear axle with the amsoil trans and it made a difference to me.
Sponsored