First oil change?

Craiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt sport 5.0
Occupation
trucker
Picking up on Tuesday. We are truckers, f150 will be driven 900 hwy kms to terminal and back in a month, sitting for 3 weeks while we were out in big truck. How long should I wait for first oil change? 5 liter V8.
Sponsored

Bowmaker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 5.0L
Occupation
Carpenter/project manager
Does the '21 5.0L use the same oil filter as the 2020?

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
FL500s or equivalent... yes.

Sponsored

Desertdweller

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PowerBoost FX 4
Occupation
Retired
Picking up on Tuesday. We are truckers, f150 will be driven 900 hwy kms to terminal and back in a month, sitting for 3 weeks while we were out in big truck. How long should I wait for first oil change? 5 liter V8.
I've been avoiding this thread as it always gets a reaction from both sides with little agreement in the end. That being said I had my first oil change at 818 miles. Just for the heck of it I took a few pictures of the oil as it was draining. It was dirty, but not filthy. I also saved about 4-5ozs in a white cup. I stirred the oil in the cup with a magnet just to see if there was any residual metal in the oil. I hate to have to tell all you doubters that I did indeed find metal shavings in the oil. I double checked and triple checked that the magnet was cleaned each time and each time it came back with metal. I'm not sure if I'm glad about that or not as I really didn't expect to find anything like that, but because the skeptics always poo-poo this first oil change, I felt compelled to verify it once if not for all. I will forever do my first oil change on every new vehicle between 750-1,000 miles as insurance against a dirty build and/or an initial wearing-in flush.

A few tips for any of the do-it your selfer's. Buy an oil filter cap wrench because you can't get in there with anything else. The front skid plate does not have to be removed as it has a small oil drain trough that allows the oil spilled out of the oil filter when removing to drain through two openings, and it works!

Ford F-150 First oil change? 20210412_135234

Ford F-150 First oil change? 20210412_140351

Rkh51

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep jl Toyota rav4
I've been avoiding this thread as it always gets a reaction from both sides with little agreement in the end. That being said I had my first oil change at 818 miles. Just for the heck of it I took a few pictures of the oil as it was draining. It was dirty, but not filthy. I also saved about 4-5ozs in a white cup. I stirred the oil in the cup with a magnet just to see if there was any residual metal in the oil. I hate to have to tell all you doubters that I did indeed find metal shavings in the oil. I double checked and triple checked that the magnet was cleaned each time and each time it came back with metal. I'm not sure if I'm glad about that or not as I really didn't expect to find anything like that, but because the skeptics always poo-poo this first oil change, I felt compelled to verify it once if not for all. I will forever do my first oil change on every new vehicle between 750-1,000 miles as insurance against a dirty build and/or an initial wearing-in flush.

A few tips for any of the do-it your selfer's. Buy an oil filter cap wrench because you can't get in there with anything else. The front skid plate does not have to be removed as it has a small oil drain trough that allows the oil spilled out of the oil filter when removing to drain through two openings, and it works!

You can send the out to get tested if they have the data for the new trucks should be able to tell you if it’s normal break in wear.

You will always get metal in oil just how much is the key. We have Multi million gear boxes at work and do get metal in an oil change but some of them are 20 years old and being doing it since day one. I plan to send out my oil to get tested. To see if everything is happy

20210412_135234.jpg

20210412_140351.jpg

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical

20210412_135234.jpg

20210412_140351.jpg
Just for science, you should do the magnet stir after every oil change, you might be surprised (not saying it will show metal)

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
To me there isn’t a lot of downside with an early oil change. Also, since Ford seems to use low oil capacity (6 qt on my Powerboost) I don’t feel comfortable with extended oil changes. To me 6k is probably the most I’d go.

Buschlatte

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I just did my first oil change at 1,776 miles.

I will do another change at 5k and then every 5k after that.

Filter and spare drain plug from dealer, motorcraft 5W-30 from Walmart.

I haven’t drank enough beer yet so I still can shimmy under the truck. Hardest thing is the cheap cover with the 4 8mm bolts And the small gasket on the filter.

I have two free oil changes from the dealer, once it gets cold out they can change it, I will do the spring- fall changes

Sponsored

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
I'm not doubting you finding metal in the oil but I'm surprised the oil filter didn't catch the metal. Those are some sizable chunks.

canes1

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
AIRCRAFT MECHANIC
Will change mine the first time at 500 miles.
Then every 5000 after that, along with tire rotation.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I'm not doubting you finding metal in the oil but I'm surprised the oil filter didn't catch the metal. Those are some sizable chunks.
those shavings will only end up in the filter when they are sucked up by the pickup tube.
1st 1000 miles or so, those little bits will be falling from cylinder walls, loose. Pieces on unfinished castings and possibly the cams wearing to the rockers.

the biggest share of this is not getting by the filter, it is just not getting there yet.

I have just over 2k on my 5.0, and mostly pretty easy miles.
oil is still completely transparent and looks new.
No oil usage at all.
but I will be getting it serviced at 2500, and then again @5000.
and then every 5000 after that.

if I had purchased this and immediately “put it to work”, chances are that I would have it changed @1000, 3000, 5000, and then every 5000.
Pretty much how the dance went with my 98k1500 after the rebuild.
Most of the mile put on the cars here at my house I pretty much rural, and if city type traffic is encountered, the cars are fully warmed up to temps before we get there. (City traffic—hard on the drivetrain)

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
those shavings will only end up in the filter when they are sucked up by the pickup tube.
1st 1000 miles or so, those little bits will be falling from cylinder walls, loose. Pieces on unfinished castings and possibly the cams wearing to the rockers.

the biggest share of this is not getting by the filter, it is just not getting there yet.

I have just over 2k on my 5.0, and mostly pretty easy miles.
oil is still completely transparent and looks new.
No oil usage at all.
but I will be getting it serviced at 2500, and then again @5000.
and then every 5000 after that.

if I had purchased this and immediately “put it to work”, chances are that I would have it changed @1000, 3000, 5000, and then every 5000.
Pretty much how the dance went with my 98k1500 after the rebuild.
Most of the mile put on the cars here at my house I pretty much rural, and if city type traffic is encountered, the cars are fully warmed up to temps before we get there. (City traffic—hard on the drivetrain)
Good info. Thanks. I learned something today.
Sponsored