First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I wanted to post about our trip to Disney pulling our RV(Keystone 22MLS)

We totaled 2983 miles round trip from NH to Ft wilderness at Disney. Going to Disney we started about 12 PM on Thursday 9/2 and spent the night at a cracker barrel in Wilkes Barre PA after 7 hours on the road. The next day we traveled from Wilkes to Savanna Georgia after 15 hours because of construction. On the last day, we headed to ft wilderness arriving after 5 hours. All in all, it was a very relaxing enjoyable trip.

On 9/11 we headed back to NH. We traveled from Ft Wilderness to just outside of Roanoke VA after 14 hours. The second leg was from VA to NH after 13 hours.

The truck pulled the trailer like a dream even in the windy blue ridge mountains and with a large number of tractor-trailers on the road. Never once did I have any sway or a feeling of the trailer pulling the truck around. The trucks 7.2 Kwh generator was fantastic as we were able to run anything we wanted including the water heater, microwave, or AC. The one negative was the MPG and the amount of times I had to fill. The truck being a powerboost has the smaller 31 Gallon tank but when towing electric is never used so MPG is the same as every other 3.5 Ecoboost. I averaged a calculated 8.9 MPG and would fill the tank between 1/4 and 1/2 full so I had to stop often.

Ford F-150 First Long RV trip with 2021 F-150 PowerBoost i-QnrCNwv-X2
Sponsored

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Hybrid, Dbl cab, short bed
Occupation
Retired educator
What are you using for a weight distribution hitch?

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

We totaled 2983 miles round trip from NH to Ft wilderness at Disney. Going to Disney we started about 12 PM on Thursday 9/2 and spent the night at a cracker barrel in Wilkes Barre PA after 7 hours on the road. The next day we traveled from Wilkes to Savanna Georgia after 15 hours because of construction. On the last day, we headed to ft wilderness arriving after 5 hours. All in all, it was a very relaxing enjoyable trip.

On 9/11 we headed back to NH. We traveled from Ft Wilderness to just outside of Roanoke VA after 14 hours. The second leg was from VA to NH after 13 hours.

The truck pulled the trailer like a dream even in the windy blue ridge mountains and with a large number of tractor-trailers on the road. Never once did I have any sway or a feeling of the trailer pulling the truck around. The trucks 7.2 Kwh generator was fantastic as we were able to run anything we wanted including the water heater, microwave, or AC. The one negative was the MPG and the amount of times I had to fill. The truck being a powerboost has the smaller 31 Gallon tank but when towing electric is never used so MPG is the same as every other 3.5 Ecoboost. I averaged a calculated 8.9 MPG and would fill the tank between 1/4 and 1/2 full so I had to stop often.

i-QnrCNwv-X2.jpg
You got better MPG than my 2.7L F150 with max tow pkg towing my Jayco 24MBH over 99% flat and level roadways.

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician

i-QnrCNwv-X2.jpg
I just learned of the ability to use the +/- buttons to temporarily remove the overdrive gears especially when towing to avoid the turbos boosting that kills gas mileage. So while in D, press - and 10 disappears. Press it again and 9 disappears. etc,etc. Then pressing + button will bring them back one at a time. Avoid 8,9,10 if under like 50 in hilly areas. If you select M mode, you can downshift / upshift so there are 2 ways to use the +/- buttons. Modify dash display so it shows turbo boost gauge and then watch gauge and step down (or remove) a gear if boost starts to show increase when starting to climb a hill. I read this in other F150 forum and haven't tried it yet.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
What are you using for a weight distribution hitch?
I pull my Catalina 28THS using the Anderson WDH, but I would advise that you go 5 turns on the nut after taking out the slack in the chains. Works great! Light weight, easy to hook up.

Sponsored

OP
OP

machz

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I just learned of the ability to use the +/- buttons to temporarily remove the overdrive gears especially when towing to avoid the turbos boosting that kills gas mileage. So while in D, press - and 10 disappears. Press it again and 9 disappears. etc,etc. Then pressing + button will bring them back one at a time. Avoid 8,9,10 if under like 50 in hilly areas. If you select M mode, you can downshift / upshift so there are 2 ways to use the +/- buttons. Modify dash display so it shows turbo boost gauge and then watch gauge and step down (or remove) a gear if boost starts to show increase when starting to climb a hill. I read this in other F150 forum and haven't tried it yet.

I have tried locking out gears before but I never saw an increase so this time I just set the truck in tow mode. I never went over 65 even when the speed limit was 70 because I seem to lose 1 + MPG from 65 to 70. If the truck had a bit larger tank it would be perfect.

David Gordon

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Oilfield

i-QnrCNwv-X2.jpg
So the generator on the truck would run the entire trailer?

OP
OP

machz

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Systems Administrator
So the generator on the truck would run the entire trailer?
I ran everything just like I would on a 30 amp hookup at a campground. I did turn off the AC when my wife ran her hairdryer but I have to do that at the campground also. We stayed cool, watched TV, and took a hot shower all running off the truck. Depending on what was running the truck cycled on and off. With the AC on at night the truck would start after 20ish min and run for 2-3 min.

pushrods

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT PB Sport
Occupation
Retired IBM field engineer

i-QnrCNwv-X2.jpg
How did you calculate your fuel mileage when using the same gas tank for the engine and the generator? I know the generator uses varying amounts of fuel per hour based on KW load. You may be getting better mileage than you think if you put generator usage into the equation of MPG.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bee5ting

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2013 Suburban
@machz Thanks for the helpful write up! This is exactly how I plan to use mine.

midmack

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VE Jetta, Chrysler Pacifica
Occupation
Family Physician
Is that Oxford or star white?

Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost sold, 2023 Tremor 5.0 now
I pull an 18’ tandem wheel trailer with a UTV and ATV. Did a 5,800 mile trip in June and a 3,500 mile trip in late September. Average mileage was a little over 10 mpg both times. Plenty of power in the mountains but mileage really goes down. I don‘t seem to fill up as often as you though, got close to empty a few times With 30+ gallon fill ups.

Ford F-150 First Long RV trip with 2021 F-150 PowerBoost A257C04B-93CF-4CE3-8569-17772311CC5D

Ford F-150 First Long RV trip with 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 47D67EC6-EEBB-4300-93F7-9A447551EB80

Ford F-150 First Long RV trip with 2021 F-150 PowerBoost D53A9AE5-913F-4DEC-8A3E-C679505CE4BE

Ford F-150 First Long RV trip with 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 2E249323-CAAC-4D5A-99C4-B5CDE249291E

Reactions: Geo
OP
OP

machz

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I pull an 18’ tandem wheel trailer with a UTV and ATV. Did a 5,800 mile trip in June and a 3,500 mile trip in late September. Average mileage was a little over 10 mpg both times. Plenty of power in the mountains but mileage really goes down. I don‘t seem to fill up as often as you though, got close to empty a few times With 30+ gallon fill ups.

A257C04B-93CF-4CE3-8569-17772311CC5D.jpeg

47D67EC6-EEBB-4300-93F7-9A447551EB80.jpeg

D53A9AE5-913F-4DEC-8A3E-C679505CE4BE.jpeg

2E249323-CAAC-4D5A-99C4-B5CDE249291E.jpeg

Yeah, I started to get a little nervous under 1/2 tank so I started looking for stations that I could fit with my RV. I had to pass on a few and get back on the highway because I wasn't able to get in and out. I ordered a 15 gallon in bed tank with a hand crank pump that I will use when we stop at rest area's to extend time between gas stations.
Sponsored