First Forum Post - potential buyer questions

Jloyd98

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Sport 302a PB
They update the incentives around the first of the month each month.
Sponsored

tardman91

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX
It's probably very market dependent, but there are deals to be had out there. Last week I picked up a '21 SuperCrew STX with a sticker price of $42,365 for $33,908 after rebates and discounts. I didn't even have to haggle. The GSM of the dealership lives in my neighborhood so I sent him a message on Facebook telling him what I was looking for and that's what he came back with. I told him to put my name on it!

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
I was interested in buying a loaded Platinum F-150 today that just hit the dealers lot in Columbia, MD, but their salesman told me they wouldn't allow me to buy it on X-Plan. Is this common at most dealers now?

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
It's at the dealer's discretion to participate in X-Plan,

try emailing the internet sales person and ask if they would for any F-150. Do that with all the dealers in your area and go from there. If you are already dealing with a motivated salesman, it might be an easier experience.

They might change their tune if it means losing a sale and some members here have purchased trucks through dealer swaps for less than the dealership that had the truck originally and wouldn't make them a deal. How that works, I don't know...

These aren't Fabergé Eggs they're selling, but all the media hype has given a lot of sales "associates" puffed up egos. The old timers are more likely to take it in stride and focus on the customer rather than squeeze every last dollar out of a mass produced motor vehicle that; when things are going smoothly, pops out the end of the assembly line every minute. It's literally feast or famine with many in sales, they don't know how to take things in stride. If a dealer is trying to wring every penny out of you, find another one.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
I appreciate your advice about emailing a bunch of dealers - I will do that, and I'll also wait until later this year - I'm in no hurry to spend more than $60K.

Sponsored

RollTideFan

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Fiesta
Occupation
Supervisor
I recently ordered my truck on 5/20. I was at my dealer less than 20 minutes. (Repeat customer) You are eligible for the best incentives wether it was at the time you ordered or at the time you take delivery or any of the time in-between. I had a very specific package and color option I wanted so no other choice but to order. Just hoping to receive mine by Christmas although they said 8 to 12 weeks we all know the problem going on.

My build
XL
Regular cab
Short bed
101a package
Chrome appearance package
Velocity blue
4x2

OP
OP
Littlefield82

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I recently ordered my truck on 5/20. I was at my dealer less than 20 minutes. (Repeat customer) You are eligible for the best incentives wether it was at the time you ordered or at the time you take delivery or any of the time in-between. I had a very specific package and color option I wanted so no other choice but to order. Just hoping to receive mine by Christmas although they said 8 to 12 weeks we all know the problem going on.

My build
XL
Regular cab
Short bed
101a package
Chrome appearance package
Velocity blue
4x2
Thanks for sharing. I was not aware of that.

OP
OP
Littlefield82

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
" $497 dealer installed package that includes Ford Protect Surface Care, Llumar Door Edge Guards and Door Handle Cups. "

This statement is from my local Ford dealer website and is included on new vehicles. Has anyone else been asked to pay this and did you or is this something that can be opted out of? I know it's all up for negotiation but I haven't seen this type of add on before.

F150Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Its interesting to see the different experiences with dealers and x-plan pricing. I was lucky that my dealer does x-plan and had no issues offering it.

Also +1 on the comment that when you place an order you get whichever incentives are better between when you place the order and when you get delivery.

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
" $497 dealer installed package that includes Ford Protect Surface Care, Llumar Door Edge Guards and Door Handle Cups. "

This statement is from my local Ford dealer website and is included on new vehicles. Has anyone else been asked to pay this and did you or is this something that can be opted out of? I know it's all up for negotiation but I haven't seen this type of add on before.

Total BS and refuse to set foot in any dealership that plays this game with the add-ons. Find another dealer that does not play this game.

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I briefly worked in sales ages ago (for a Ford dealer). What he says about being paid based on the amount over invoice checks out but is a half-truth (at least where I worked). We got paid (I don’t remember) say 20% of the difference, but also had a minimum commission for a sale (that is what he is leaving out). With most new cars, unless there was additional markup that the customer actually paid we pretty much always got the minimum, so we could care less what the customer paid on new cars, at that point were just going through the motions to keep the manager from giving us a talking to. Used: different story.

OP
OP
Littlefield82

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
So I'm going tomorrow to test drive this truck.

https://www.crossroadsfordapex.com/new-Apex-2021-Ford-F+150-XLT-1FTFW1ED1MFB34254

I'm thinking a good offer that benefits me would be to try and get it for under $57k OTD knowing that NC has 3% sales tax and Ford has a $500 incentive to finance with them. I've send Albert with Granger a message to see what his pricing would be based on the sticker so that I have something to compare against. I don't think I'll mention an offer tomorrow and just walk away with whatever they offer so that I have time to think on it and compare. I'm really not in a huge hurry to get something but I would pull the trigger on a good deal.

TNKIRK

First Name
TERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150 LARIAT SUPERCAB
Occupation
R V SALES
So I'm going tomorrow to test drive this truck.

https://www.crossroadsfordapex.com/new-Apex-2021-Ford-F+150-XLT-1FTFW1ED1MFB34254

I'm thinking a good offer that benefits me would be to try and get it for under $57k OTD knowing that NC has 3% sales tax and Ford has a $500 incentive to finance with them. I've send Albert with Granger a message to see what his pricing would be based on the sticker so that I have something to compare against. I don't think I'll mention an offer tomorrow and just walk away with whatever they offer so that I have time to think on it and compare. I'm really not in a huge hurry to get something but I would pull the trigger on a good deal.

I do not think the unit is in there stock yet..........Only one picture?

OP
OP
Littlefield82

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
So here was my experience today when test driving the truck I linked in my post above. It was at Crossroads Ford in Apex, NC which is high volume dealer. There are multiple Crossroads dealers within their network (14 I think). The Apex location has at least 20 F-150 SC 4x4 right now in stock in varying configs.

First the truck:
The Good - It had no rust and looked great underneath. The cloth seats in the XLT feel great and were really comfortable. The 3.5 PB has tons of power as we all know. Plenty to like.

The Bad - There were noticeable hard downshifts (like a thunk) when decelerating. Maybe this is ok and maybe it's normal but my 2008 Acrura MDX doesn't do it and my wife's 2021 Mazda CX-9 doesn't do it. Now I feel like I need to drive a few more to see if they all do it. No center arm rest in the backseat on the XLT. I feel like that should be standard and not have to get a Lariat to get a center arm rest for the back passengers. Also no adjustable AC/Heat for the rear which once again should be standard on the XLT IMO. I don't even think you get that on the Lariat which blows my mind. It's on my 2008 MDX and my wife's 2021 CX-9. I'd still buy the truck but I think those things should come on a $60,000 vehicle, truck, car, suv etc.

And now on to dealer. I test drove the truck with my family and the salesman (retired Marine in his 30's) stayed behind. When I got back he had the paperwork ready and the asking price as the full MSRP plus $699 doc and the $497 dealer prep fee I mentioned on my post above. The sales guy said the work for the prep had already been done and they don't remove it (whatever). I was working on OTD price so I didn't care. The OTD price was about $63,300. I probably would have offered $55k OTD but bit on $57k OTD but we didn't get that far. I mentioned that the sticker had a lower price than he was showing and why wasn't that shown and he said they start at the highest suggested MSRP without Fords suggested discounts. I asked to see the invoice and he said he could maybe get it for me but not to bother because they wouldn't even sell it for 3% off MSRP so selling at invoice was off the table. He wasn't being rude, just being honest with me. A sales manager walked by and confirmed that they aren't really coming off the price. He seemed irritated that I asked him to see the invoice but said he could dig it up if needed. I assume they would have come down by maybe $1000 if I haggled but we were nowhere near each other in price. The salesman said last year he could sell it for $8k-$10k off when they had 6,000 vehicles but they are below 2,000 right now within the dealer network. I told him I may be back when I can get at least $5k off sticker but in truth I'm likely done with them. The salesman also said he doesn't work on commission so he didn't care what price I paid but we would be wasting each others time trying to get to invoice pricing. We shook hands and I left.

Overall I still want an F-150 but between my experience at Crossroads Fuquay and Crossroads Apex I feel like the market is just not right for me. I've messaged Albert and Tom to try and get an order going so that may pan out. I should also note that the salesman and sales manager told me today that if I ordered a truck through them I'm only able to get the rebate at the time of delivery and not what's offered now, or any time in between. That doesn't line up with what I've seen on this forum so I don't know what's right or wrong.

Hope this info helps anyone else who is out shopping.
Sponsored