• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
This video shows how amazing this vehicle is if you don’t drive those insane miles daily, or do much towing. I’m in with two reservations, one for my retired dad and one for me.

Sponsored

Squatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reef flip flops
Most people don't do either of those things, but will pick those hills to die on when it comes to making a purchase. I think a full switch to EV is a long ways off, but Ford made a great EV F150... on paper.

Edit:
I'm really looking forward to the Frunk and powering a house with it... although, I probably won't ever do that, lol.

Last edited:

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
For me, this is almost the perfect truck, as I don’t tow. But I do a few trips a year that would put me well past its range. So I still need to see improvements in range to at least 600 miles; or a saturation of very quick recharge stations. Almost there...

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
This video shows how amazing this vehicle is if you don’t drive those insane miles daily, or do much towing. I’m in with two reservations, one for my retired dad and one for me.

After much deliberation I have found the solution to the problem. Two F-150’s, one the super cool electric and one the do-everything powerboost! I’m measuring the garage now. And no, I’m not kidding!

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
For me, this is almost the perfect truck, as I don’t tow. But I do a few trips a year that would put me well past its range. So I still need to see improvements in range to at least 600 miles; or a saturation of very quick recharge stations. Almost there...
Pretty much the same boat. I like it and for 95% of my driving it would be perfectly fine. But I do have 4-5 trips a year where a 600 mile range would be needed (or charging tech needs a major improvement as even “quick” chargers today still take hours).

I could probably eliminate all but one of those by taking my Wifes car instead... but I still do 1-2 trips a year with a trailer.

Its not that this is my hill to die on without a need... I’m buying a truck to be a tuck, enjoy and travel, not an around time grocery getter.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Why are there several posts about needing 600 mile range? No one drives 600 miles (10 hours) without stopping to eat and take a leak. The super fast DC chargers only take 41 minutes. Stop, charge, eat, pee, go.

Better yet, drive 5 hours, get a hotel, charge, go the next morning.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
Why are there several posts about needing 600 mile range? No one drives 600 miles (10 hours) without stopping to eat and take a leak. The super fast DC chargers only take 41 minutes. Stop, charge, eat, pee, go.

Yeah, nah. I do that drive several times a year, and my only stop is to piss. With my 36-gal tank I won’t even need to stop for fuel. I need to get there as quickly as reasonably possible. I don’t have the luxury of time to burn extra days or hotel fees lollygagging around.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
It sounds like you have special needs and a solution to those needs in your garage. There will likely never be a 600 mile range EV.

1. 2021 Tesla Model S Performance all-wheel drive with 19-inch wheels: 387 miles

2. 2021 Tesla Model X Long Range Plus RWD: 371 miles

3. 2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD: 353 miles

4. 2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range RWD: 326 miles

5. 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD California Route 1: 305 miles

6. 2021 Chevrolet Bolt EV: 259 miles

7. 2021 Hyundai Kona Electric: 258 miles

8. 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 1st Edition RWD: 250 miles

9. 2021 Polestar 2: 233 miles

10. 2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Battery Plus: 227 miles

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
I laugh when I read some makers install sound effects do the electric motors sound like real engines. Pathetic. Reminds me of putting playing cars or balloons in my bicycle spokes.

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Because:
- Actual practical range is less than the EPA’s range (I have stop-n-go traffic, not really light footed and have mountains to climb)
- Degradation of charge capacity
- Safety margin: unexpected road closure, power outage, plan change, needing a little around town before stopping at destination.

So I will revise... I want a 450 mile practical range (600 mile advertised).

Also, if it takes you 10 hours to drive 600 miles then you probably will get the EPA’s estimate. Please stay in the slow lane though as even the semis will be passing you.

Charge at the motel? You do realize that most motels don’t have charge stations and if they do it’s usually only one or two stalls? Good luck with that. I already drive by those stalls and they are filled plus two more EVs stopped nearby waiting.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It sounds like you have special needs and a solution to those needs in your garage. There will likely never be a 600 mile range EV.
With today’s battery tech, no. But I believe we will get there in the next 10 years.

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
After much deliberation I have found the solution to the problem. Two F-150’s, one the super cool electric and one the do-everything powerboost! I’m measuring the garage now. And no, I’m not kidding!
What a great idea! You can charge your house during peak hours with the Lightning and save money, then fill it back up at night during off peak prices.

I wanted to go all electric with a truck ASAP, but got the Bronco bug last year and ordered it this year. Problem is I’m about to hit 170k in my Explorer and I drive 20k a year just for work. I didn’t want to be Found On the Road Dead because I pushed my Explorer too hard, so I took a test drive in a Model 3. The most exciting experience driving a vehicle in my life! I ordered it and should have it by June. Problem is, what do I give up next year when the Lightning is ready for delivery? Bronco Badlands, or the Tesla M3?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Have you tried mapping some routes to see if the charging network will get you where you want to go?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Pretty much the same boat. I like it and for 95% of my driving it would be perfectly fine. But I do have 4-5 trips a year where a 600 mile range would be needed (or charging tech needs a major improvement as even “quick” chargers today still take hours).

I could probably eliminate all but one of those by taking my Wifes car instead... but I still do 1-2 trips a year with a trailer.

Its not that this is my hill to die on without a need... I’m buying a truck to be a tuck, enjoy and travel, not an around time grocery getter.
DCFC will take 40 minutes to charge, not hours.
Sponsored