• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Finding EV Charging Locations

DaddyBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta ST
Malls and movie theaters should get into the EV charging system. Charge time becomes shopping and entertainment time.

I have been thinking about the news these past few days on various companies (Walmart, GM, Hertz, etc.) installing networks of EV chargers at stores, hotels, and dealerships. Most of these would be Level 2, 30-40 amps, that could charge at a rate giving the EV a boost of 25-35 miles per charge hour.

DC fast chargers are great for speed charging but over time can be battery killers, hence, Level 2 chargers for the average charge. And Level 2 can be installed cheaper given available power and wiring at sites.

If I were the average driver I would like to go out to do my chores (pick up groceries, post office, McDs) for a total of 20-30 miles, and then back home to hook up to my at-home installed Level 2 charger at a cheap rate tonight.

While at the store I would like to hook up to the parking lot charger to top off for an hour while shopping. The store likes it because I am drawn to them for the charger and am a captive audience, so will probably buy more.

When I take my travel trailer out for short camping trips I would stop for groceries and supplies at the local Walmart and top off in their large parking lot at dedicated RV pull throughs while shopping. Maybe even spend a few hours at a nearby shopping mall and restaurant giving me an even bigger range boost and a chance to spend more money.

Hotels installing chargers will be able to draw the EV adopter crowd at much less cost to them than what they now spend to maintain a pool. Go to the golf course, charge up for 3-4 hours. There are many examples of attractions that might want a captive crowd for an extended period of time and they could charge the customer for the charge up on a sliding scale based on the time they spent at the business.

I am just throwing out ideas on the logic on why Level 2 charger networks may be expanding faster than we might think. With EV adoption, it has always been a question of the chicken or egg first. Think about why convenience store gas stations became more popular draws a few years ago vs regular gas-only stations. EV charging amenities could become the draw for real dollars.
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Malls and movie theaters should get into the EV charging system. Charge time becomes shopping and entertainment time.
I don't know about you, but most shopping and movies I do are well within the daily range of today's EVs. For most people the only charging they will need to do away from home is DCFC when on longer trips.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I don't know about you, but most shopping and movies I do are well within the daily range of today's EVs. For most people the only charging they will need to do away from home is DCFC when on longer trips.
For the short term yes, but there are a lot of people who will need to eventually get EVs and can't charge at home (apartments, condos, etc.). We need some kind of solution for that (rather large) group

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I suspect the situation with Tesla cars is the same with any EV with the exception of free on some of their models.
Reports of long lines in CA at SC stations would be my guess for many long drivers.

A DC at places where someone is there for less than an hour makes sense to me. A place where one is there for 3 or more hours would be L2 speeds. Much cheaper to put in an L2 for sure unless they can figure out a 240VAC way to charge old replaced Bolt EV batteries.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Why do you need public L2 charging if you can charge at home with low rate?

You only need L2 charging in camping grounds or hotels. This discussion is kind of wasting time. But, a lot of topics currently are waste of time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rtw819

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150L Lariat ER, '23 MME Sel AWD, '19 Niro EV
I've had two electric cars. I think it's a waste of time to try to charge L2 during shopping or eating. Just too little time for much of a charge.

A better plan I think is to have work place charging that eventually might be some deal like free if power company has right to use batteries for super peak loads.
Still have two electric cars here. I will say it can be handy to have an L2 EVSE at a store or restaurant if you've already been out driving for the day and are running low on range to get back home. Plus as an advantage to the location, if you shop longer, you are likely to purchase more.

My workplace installed a few L2 EVSE in select garages, but they've priced them so ridiculously high compared to my at-home rate it isn't really economical to use them. Plus, if your company doesn't put into place some workplace charging etiquette and schedules, you'll have folks squatting on chargers all day. We once had a Tesla owner who laughed heartily when we complained that his car was sitting on a charger all day with its climate control running (without any animals). There will always be at least one jerk in any crowd I guess?

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Still have two electric cars here. I will say it can be handy to have an L2 EVSE at a store or restaurant if you've already been out driving for the day and are running low on range to get back home. Plus as an advantage to the location, if you shop longer, you are likely to purchase more.

My workplace installed a few L2 EVSE in select garages, but they've priced them so ridiculously high compared to my at-home rate it isn't really economical to use them. Plus, if your company doesn't put into place some workplace charging etiquette and schedules, you'll have folks squatting on chargers all day. We once had a Tesla owner who laughed heartily when we complained that his car was sitting on a charger all day with its climate control running (without any animals). There will always be at least one jerk in any crowd I guess?
What if you home electricity rate is $0.12/kWh while public charging is $0.25/kWh?

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
In one of my houses the rate is flat 7 cents if charge at night. The other time of use is 3.05 cents in a very narrow window at night but never over 4.4 at night.

Still a lot of public plans have either per power or per time. Neither is overly great price.

I'd imagine that all these proposed grants will have the charger companies raising the prices since they'd have to claim they will pay back grant. I further assume most won't.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Why do you need public L2 charging if you can charge at home with low rate?

You only need L2 charging in camping grounds or hotels. This discussion is kind of wasting time. But, a lot of topics currently are waste of time.
For all the people who can't charge at home due to living arrangements (apartments, condos, etc.)

rtw819

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150L Lariat ER, '23 MME Sel AWD, '19 Niro EV
What if you home electricity rate is $0.12/kWh while public charging is $0.25/kWh?
For us, that's not unreasonable considering we do pay $0.125/kWh at home. It may feel worse for others. Depending on the charging location, it is a service after all. While free is great (and free stations are fewer and further between), we should expect to pay something for power. They start pushing the limits of what I find reasonable (compared to prices at home) when we hit stations billing at rates $0.32+/min, or even the current Electrify America non-member rate of $0.43/kWh is at the top end of what seems reasonable, at least to me.

But, hey, it is still cheaper than gasoline by the mile equivalent, and probably always will be. I'm also a little spoiled since we can charge at home when the sun is shining and not have to pay the power company for that usage.

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
For us, that's not unreasonable considering we do pay $0.125/kWh at home. It may feel worse for others. Depending on the charging location, it is a service after all. While free is great (and free stations are fewer and further between), we should expect to pay something for power. They start pushing the limits of what I find reasonable (compared to prices at home) when we hit stations billing at rates $0.32+/min, or even the current Electrify America non-member rate of $0.43/kWh is at the top end of what seems reasonable, at least to me.

But, hey, it is still cheaper than gasoline by the mile equivalent, and probably always will be. I'm also a little spoiled since we can charge at home when the sun is shining and not have to pay the power company for that usage.
If you are using solar power at home, there is still a cost based upon the infrastructure cost for the install and any maintenance/repair and the use of electricity that cannot be returned to the power grid because it is in your EV.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
For the short term yes, but there are a lot of people who will need to eventually get EVs and can't charge at home (apartments, condos, etc.). We need some kind of solution for that (rather large) group
Charging at work makes a lot more sense as I go there for 8-10 hours a day.
Also as electric vehicles become the norm, apartments who install chargers will become more in demand. Also it's possible that some areas may require them in multi unit dwelling.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Almost all the new apartments around me have chargers. I've not looked in to see if they are being used. They might have 1000 apartments and only 6 chargers though.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
San Antonio has free charging at city-owned chargers on Tuesdays...my wife uses this when she is downtown that day. Otherwise, she charges at home.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
it's possible that some areas may require them in multi unit dwelling.
It really has to mandated both in new construction and in existing. Providing low cost loans as the apt building owners make money by charging more for the EV parking spot and also make money selling the electricity.

Most new apt buildings (mine for example) put in five or six charging spots and call it a day.
Sponsored