• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Financing vs Leasing the Lightning

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra. Model Y and Lightning on order
One big thing is Ford Options let’s you apply for the tax rebates as it goes into your name etc where leasing Ford keeps those incentives.
I get the tax credit but it doesn’t make sense why that qualifies for it and the traditional lease doesn’t. It must be a lot more expensive to do Ford options vs leasing, to the point where it might even negate the tax credit.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I get the tax credit but it doesn’t make sense why that qualifies for it and the traditional lease doesn’t. It must be a lot more expensive to do Ford options vs leasing, to the point where it might even negate the tax credit.
It at all, many find Ford Options much cheaper than leasing. Ford even gave an incentive rebate for the Mach-e if you used it. You don't get the tax credit on a lease because you never own the car. Ford Options is just a loan with a balloon payment, so you have ownership.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Because Ford wants the credit back themselves on leases. Many companies out there will give it to you when you lease from them showing it is possible. They probably write it off as charity giving the lease discount lol.

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I still don’t see a difference in a ford option where you have a smaller payment vs financing and a buyout at the end or turn it in. That’s the exact same thing as a lease. Only difference is the tax credit. I wonder what the payment difference would be on the ford option vs lease, I’d imagine the ford option would be higher.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I still don’t see a difference in a ford option where you have a smaller payment vs financing and a buyout at the end or turn it in. That’s the exact same thing as a lease. Only difference is the tax credit. I wonder what the payment difference would be on the ford option vs lease, I’d imagine the ford option would be higher.
The difference is that with the Lease, Ford owns the truck (Title in their name ) where with Ford Options you own the truck (title in your name). Way more options if you want to sell it or trade it in before the end of the planned period (it acts just like any other loan with a pay off balance).

Honestly, I would be surprised if they even offered a lease on the Lightning - they didn't (as far as I could find out) for the Mach-e. If they do, I would guess the payments would be significantly higher with the lease since they don't want people going that way.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
What is the difference between leasing and ford options? Doesn’t make any sense to me. Sounds like a way ford will get more money out of you vs a traditional lease?

It's a way for Ford to pocket the tax credit while acting like they're doing you a favor. I bet if you run all the numbers for the 3yr term+residual and compare to a traditional lease, Ford gets most of the tax credit back anyway. Smoke and mirrors.

Reactions: JSJ

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Only difference is the tax credit. I wonder what the payment difference would be on the ford option vs lease, I’d imagine the ford option would be higher.
I don't think that's the only difference. Since you own the car with the Options financing, you can sell the car at any time and just pay off the loan. There is no acquisition fee with Options. When I bought MME the interest rate on Options was 2.25% (1.4% for GT). The money factor on RCL translated into something around 5%. So no, Ford Options was not higher.

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't think that's the only difference. Since you own the car with the Options financing, you can sell the car at any time and just pay off the loan. There is no acquisition fee with Options. When I bought MME the interest rate on Options was 2.25% (1.4% for GT). The money factor on RCL translated into something around 5%. So no, Ford Options was not higher.
You can do the same with a lease, I paid off my lease to sell it for a profit in this crazy used car market. Ford options has a buyout price at the end or you can turn it right back into them and walk away from it right? It’s the exact same thing as a lease as far as terms go, ford is just saying you own it but they’ve agreed to buy it back after a certain amount of time (which is what a lease is essentially).

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can do the same with a lease, I paid off my lease to sell it for a profit in this crazy used car market. Ford options has a buyout price at the end or you can turn it right back into them and walk away from it right? It’s the exact same thing as a lease as far as terms go, ford is just saying you own it but they’ve agreed to buy it back after a certain amount of time (which is what a lease is essentially).
Are you saying there were no buyout fees? With options, all you have to pay is the balance of the loan. Did you have to contact Ford to buy out the lease early? Ford Options doesn't have a "buyout price". It has a loan balloon payment at the end that you either pay or transfer ownership to Ford.

Sponsored

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you saying there were no buyout fees? With options, all you have to pay is the balance of the loan. Did you have to contact Ford to buy out the lease early? Ford Options doesn't have a "buyout price". It has a loan balloon payment at the end that you either pay or transfer ownership to Ford.
I’ve never done a ford options before, only lease. So at the end of the terms of the ford option, you have to either turn it back in or take on another loan? You can’t buy it outright for a 1 time cash payment? Is that the difference between ford options and leasing?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I’ve never done a ford options before, only lease. So at the end of the terms of the ford option, you have to either turn it back in or take on another loan? You can’t buy it outright for a 1 time cash payment? Is that the difference between ford options and leasing?
You can buy it out, or refinance the loan, at any time - including at the end. Just like any other loan.

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can buy it out, or refinance the loan, at any time - including at the end. Just like any other loan.
So there really is no difference between a Ford options or lease, other than the tax credit and whatever sketchy business Ford is pulling because it makes no sense.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
So there really is no difference between a Ford options or lease, other than the tax credit and whatever sketchy business Ford is pulling because it makes no sense.
One more thing to add when doing a comparison between RCL and FO. When using RCL and FO you are technically only financing that small portion of the depreciation of the vehicle, this we already know.

However I believe with FO, you would would see the whole amount in your credit report. So for example, if you get a 80K truck, in RCL you would see you owe 40K (assuming 50% ALG), while with FO you would see the whole 80K. Not a big deal, but could be hard to qualify if you never had a loan that large before.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
One more thing to add when doing a comparison between RCL and FO. When using RCL and FO you are technically only financing that small portion of the depreciation of the vehicle, this we already know.

However I believe with FO, you would would see the whole amount in your credit report. So for example, if you get a 80K truck, in RCL you would see you owe 40K (assuming 50% ALG), while with FO you would see the whole 80K. Not a big deal, but could be hard to qualify if you never had a loan that large before.
My credit report shows full loan amount as original loan amount, but outstanding amount does not include residuals.
Sponsored