Sponsored

Fender Badges - anyone changed theirs?

Matt12

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Malibu (and an ordered 2021 F150 Lariat)
I'm wondering if anyone out there has switched out or blacked out their fender badges? Am I the only one who loves the blacked out look of the sport package, and would like to have 0 chrome anywhere on the truck? I know there are how-tos on removing the similar badge on the Super Duty, just hoping for a solution on my '21 Lariat.

Ford F-150 Fender Badges - anyone changed theirs? 1614713050628
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Join the Plastidip fad....

jpmtz

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
On a similar note, can the humongous 4X4 graphic decals on the sides of the bed be removed, without ruining the paint? (No. I like the blacked-out look as well.)

Sponsored

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
On a similar note, can the humongous 4X4 graphic decals on the sides of the bed be removed, without ruining the paint? (No. I like the blacked-out look as well.)
yes, I’ve removed decals from every truck I’ve owned. Use a little heat and it will come off easily. I always do it when the truck is new. If you have a dark color and wait a few years it may leave a shadow that needs to be worked out.

longbow42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A8L, Ford F150 Platinum PowerBoost
yes, I’ve removed decals from every truck I’ve owned. Use a little heat and it will come off easily. I always do it when the truck is new. If you have a dark color and wait a few years it may leave a shadow that needs to be worked out.
What do you use to remove any excess glue after removing the decals? Thanks!

Swegner99

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2017 Expedition EL
I'm wondering if anyone out there has switched out or blacked out their fender badges? Am I the only one who loves the blacked out look of the sport package, and would like to have 0 chrome anywhere on the truck? I know there are how-tos on removing the similar badge on the Super Duty, just hoping for a solution on my '21 Lariat.

1614713050628.png
I swapped my chrome fender badges out for the XLT Sport version, also did front and rear ovals in black.

Looks a lot better, IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP

Matt12

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I swapped my chrome fender badges out for the XLT version, also did front and rear ovals in black.

Looks a lot better, IMO
Fantastic. Any advice? Fairly simple process on the badges? Would love some pictures if you've got them!

Swegner99

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fantastic. Any advice? Fairly simple process on the badges? Would love some pictures if you've got them!
I just joined so i could reply, let me figure out how to post pics and I will do that.

As far as replacing them: Along the back edge nearest the door is a thin strip of double sided tape, and the top and front edge are held onto the truck with clips.

Get a good non-marring pry tool and start on the back edge, work your way around the front. The clips are strong, but it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to get them to pop.

There are no studs or bolts, it can all be done from outside the vehicle.

The rear emblem is a very similar process, tape and clips.

The front emblem is the exact same process as the previous gen trucks, have to remove the trim under grill, take grill out and remove nuts from backside.

Sponsored

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
Just tell your salesman you want them removed and they should be able to do it before you even take it home. I had the windows tinted, bed liner sprayed in, had them take off the Fx4 stickers and refrain from putting any dealer stickers on the truck.

Reactions: 780
OP
OP

Matt12

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you, Scott! Sounds a lot like the Super Duty replacement videos I've seen on Youtube. I appreciate your help and your wisdom! Truck looks awesome, btw!

Swegner99

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you, Scott! Sounds a lot like the Super Duty replacement videos I've seen on Youtube. I appreciate your help and your wisdom! Truck looks awesome, btw!
Thank you! Its getting there, I have wheels and tires and a leveling kit, just need to get them installed and it should complete the whole look.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
What do you use to remove any excess glue after removing the decals? Thanks!
Goo gone works, alcohol too. For really stubborn stuff, I use a cleaner wax, but the fx4 decal residue can prob be removed with a wet microfiber rag. If you heat it a little, it will not leave much at all. Just wash the area after if you use any products (goo gone, etc.) on it.
Sponsored