Sponsored

Feedback Requested on Limited w/ PB Towing Inbound Jayco Travel Trailer

DigitalG

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford F150 Harley Davidson 4x4; 2019 Lincoln Nautilus Reserve AWD; 2019 Toyota CH-R; 2020 Tracker Off-Road LX4
Occupation
Wounded Warrior Social Worker; Retired from US Air Force
Hey all! I picked up my Limited mid-January (ordered back in Oct 2020) and have a Jayco White Hawk 32RL on order (anticipated arrival early March 2021). I'm racking my brain trying to figure out if I will be be able to safely tow this rig. Up until recently, I was going by the towing capacity of the Limited and thought all would be good. Armed with the knowledge of all the other important numbers (hitch weight, payload capacity, Front & Rear GAWR, GVWR, GCWR, UVW, etc...), I beginning to wonder and would like some feedback from some of you with more experience. I'm attaching photos/graphics of the relevant information for this TT and my Limited.

Here's what I'm calculating:

Limited Numbers
GVWR: 7350 lbs
Cargo Capacity: 1335 lbs
GCWR: 17000 lbs
Max Loaded Trailer Weight: 11000 lbs

Jayco White Hawk Numbers
Unloaded Vehicle Weight: 7900 lbs
Dry Hitch Weight: 910 lbs
GVWR: 9500 lbs
Cargo Carrying Capacity: 1600 lbs

Hitch Weight (910) + Passengers Weight (360) alone equals 1270 lbs. That leaves 65 lbs remaining and when I add in a weight distribution hitch, I'll be over my Limited's cargo capacity.

So, even though I'm under GCWR, I'm still over the tongue weight restriction.

Is there anything I can do/add to make this a safer tow? Or, should I just go back to the drawing board and find a lighter travel trailer?

Any input/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Ford F-150 Feedback Requested on Limited w/ PB Towing Inbound Jayco Travel Trailer Inside Door Jam Numbers
Ford F-150 Feedback Requested on Limited w/ PB Towing Inbound Jayco Travel Trailer 2021 Ford F150 Limited Window Sticker
Ford F-150 Feedback Requested on Limited w/ PB Towing Inbound Jayco Travel Trailer 2021 Jayco White Hawk Specs
Sponsored

Matt604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer 2011->Ford 150 PB Limited 2021
I'm in similar position as you so thinking through the same challenges.

My top level advice is that trailer is too big. Reasons are 1) The realistic hitch weight is usually higher than 'dry hitch weight'. So you are at the mercy of that blowing out your truck's payload. That said tongue weight should be 10%-13% of TT weight (loaded for your trip) for safety reasons and taking the TT GVWR x 10% is 950lbs which is close to the stated dry hitch weight. So you might be ok. 2) The trailer is relatively long and heavy and tall and has slides rear of the trailer axels. Sway is going to be a real problem and you could solve with a hensley or propride hitch but those add ~170lbs of additional tongue weight you don't have room for. Even a lighter wdh hitch like the anderson (60lbs) puts you at max payload but will only minimize and not eliminate sway of such a relatively large trailer.

I'm sure the truck will tow the trailer and most of the time not bad. Your payload is lower though and Limited trims are probably the least towing friendly out of them all (22" tires, lowest payloads). I expect it will be higher probability of things going wrong and there's a good chance you'll be over your max payload sticker. There are a lot of trucks+tt on the road in this way so you have to choose what you prefer. If you are going to put big miles on it i'd say look elsewhere. If you are going to drop it for long periods of time on an RV plot it may be doable.

Personally, on paper i'd be looking at matching to a trailer with loaded for trip weight (dry weight + your cargo) in the 7500lbs range and 24' or 28' length.

Hope this helps.

desertlivin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3, 2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Network Architect

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I'm really hating this guessing game on what the payload capability will be on the xlt, ecoboost 4x4, 302a, 5.5 bed we are looking to order come truck month and should we consider Maxtow. Dealers just say they won't know until its built.

We were also looking at upgrading our Roo 183 travel trailer to the Rockwood 2706ws with a dry weight of 7300lbs but the hitch weight is 920lbs. Passenger weight for family of 4 is just under 600lbs. A little worried about the payload factor

davek22554

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
You are going to be close and will probably have to load all your gear in the truck and over the trailer wheels being careful not to overload them. A WDH should help distribute some of that tongue weight back to the trailer wheels. Having said that at a minimum you are pushing the envelope with both weight and length so I would definitely not go barreling down the highway doing 70. I would keep it at 55-60. I sure others will question your sanity for even attempting such an endeavor.

Sponsored

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White
I share the opinion that you are probably a little ambitious with the size of the TT. I am waiting on a Platinum PB and expecting a payload in the 1350 lb range and I am comfortable but not as much as I'd like pulling my 5,500 lb 19-ft Lance TT. My guess is that your Jayco is going to push you around pretty good, and having to load over the TT wheels or behind is going to put you at risk for excessive sway (definitely avoid putting anything like bikes or a rear hitch on the back of the trailer). I second the 24+/- foot trailer idea.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
You trailer isn't that far off from mine and because of that I went with a Lariat trim level and ditched all the heavy options (power tailgate, power running boards, fx4, moonroof, etc) in order to get my payload to at least 1500 (my goal) and after looking at other payload stickers, I might be over 1550 which is great. I'd say with a family, all the stuff you'll be towing plus the "real" weight of the trailer, you'll def be over weight. Up to you what you want to do about that, I would argue it's perfectly safe to do it, but not legal.

DW2020

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PB
I'm a bit with the others, that is a pretty big trailer for the payload.

If you want to get as close to payload as possible, my suggestion would be to minimize the tongue weight by reducing weight forward of the trailer axles / moving weight to the rear of the trailer:
* Smaller or single propane tank
* Lithium ion battery (or relocate batteries to rear of trailer)
* Move 'stuff' in the trailer as far back in the trailer as possible
* Put bikes, etc on a rear mount on the trailer

As others have mentioned, if you do lots of this, you could find yourself with too low a tongue weight percentage (ie less than the 10% of the Trailer weight on the tongue). With a low tongue weight % the trailer sway risk increases.

As Matt604 mentioned, a ProPride hitch eliminates the sway risk (link: https://www.propridehitch.com/propride-3p-trailer-sway-control-hitch) . I have one and love it, handles winds, semis, etc wonderfully, really comfortable towing with it. I would much prefer being over payload to being without it. If you go this route, I'd be sure to get the biggest-rated bars and crank them up to both shift some weight back onto the trailer and to keep weight on the truck steer axle.

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
Its going to take a 3/4 ton to enjoy that trailer. Airbags and the best weight distribution hitch will help, but still to much load to be comfortable.
When you have to start moving you trailer load around in the trailer just to meet your truck specifications, the trailer is too heavy.
This is of course my opinion, but backed up by many years in the RV business.

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
IMHO you are definitely pushing the envelope - I'd be most concerned about what the real tongue weight of the that trailer would be, loaded w/fluids etc. Based on some experience I think you could easily be much heavier at the hitch than the manufacturer states. I'd also consider whether I was kind of a 75mph with trailer guy or a 60mph (nice-n-easy) kind of driver, whether I lived in Colorado, or Michigan etc.

On the other hand I wouldn't be too freaked out (just aware and appropriately cautious) if you end up right around the payload sticker limit. For example, I noticed your window sticker includes bedliner which is 45lb of weight that Ford deducted from your payload - if the dealer had installed that bedliner your payload sticker would be 45lb higher. I posted elsewhere, here: NHTS Payload +/- Allowance some info on this and how NHTSA basically isn't bothered about dealers adding up to 100lb of undisclosed weight, which should give you an idea of how precisely you should be worried about the exact limit?

Sponsored

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia
I'm really hating this guessing game on what the payload capability will be on the xlt, ecoboost 4x4, 302a, 5.5 bed we are looking to order come truck month and should we consider Maxtow. Dealers just say they won't know until its built.

We were also looking at upgrading our Roo 183 travel trailer to the Rockwood 2706ws with a dry weight of 7300lbs but the hitch weight is 920lbs. Passenger weight for family of 4 is just under 600lbs. A little worried about the payload factor
You don’t have to guess. This dealer photographs the payload sticker on just about every F-150. They have a huge inventory too. Find the closest one to your build and you will have a much better idea.

https://www.brandonford.com/new-202...tomizePayment_Module&direction=asc&sf=sf_year

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You don’t have to guess. This dealer photographs the payload sticker on just about every F-150. They have a huge inventory too. Find the closest one to your build and you will have a much better idea.

https://www.brandonford.com/new-2021-ford-f-150-tampa-fl?_gmod[0]=Dfe_Modules_VehiclePrice_Module&_gmod[1]=Dfe_Modules_CustomizePayment_Module&direction=asc&sf=sf_year
That's an interesting dealer site ... weird though, check out these two loaded Platinum trucks payload: Red @ 1316lbs vs Silver @ 1262lbs

Only difference is the Partitioned Lockable Storage & Paint Color? Difficult to believe the plastic storage bin weighs 54lbs ...

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
That's an interesting dealer site ... weird though, check out these two loaded Platinum trucks payload: Red @ 1316lbs vs Silver @ 1262lbs

Only difference is the Partitioned Lockable Storage & Paint Color? Difficult to believe the plastic storage bin weighs 54lbs ...
That would be a heavy piece of plastic. Of course the good news on that if it is true, is that it is easy to remove. If removing that and say the tailgate gives someone 100 - 150lbs more of easy payload, it might help us stay legal easier while approaching the max tow trailer weights. I keep thinking about the enclosed car trailer I want and think I can get there within legal limits. Fortunately for me I don't have a trailer yet, so I'll know my trucks payload and towing limits before I purchase a trailer, and if I can't get an enclosed trailer with tool storage and all the "luxury" items, I can downgrade to just a bare bones enclosed trailer, or go to an open air trailer instead. I will have a solution for my need case one way or the other.

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That would be a heavy piece of plastic. Of course the good news on that if it is true, is that it is easy to remove. If removing that and say the tailgate gives someone 100 - 150lbs more of easy payload, it might help us stay legal easier while approaching the max tow trailer weights. I keep thinking about the enclosed car trailer I want and think I can get there within legal limits. Fortunately for me I don't have a trailer yet, so I'll know my trucks payload and towing limits before I purchase a trailer, and if I can't get an enclosed trailer with tool storage and all the "luxury" items, I can downgrade to just a bare bones enclosed trailer, or go to an open air trailer instead. I will have a solution for my need case one way or the other.
Roger, I haul an enclosed trailer w/Mustang racecar (see avatar ?) upper & lower front cabinets and tools at front, fuel jugs, cooler, tire racks w/8 wheels & tires etc. Total weight ~ 8000lbs. It's an aluminum trailer which makes a difference, but tongue weight is ~ 900lbs. No problem pulling w/my 2016 F150 and I don't expect a problem w/my incoming 2021 even @ reduced (Platinum) payload of 1250lbs.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Roger, I haul an enclosed trailer w/Mustang racecar (see avatar ?) upper & lower front cabinets and tools at front, fuel jugs, cooler, tire racks w/8 wheels & tires etc. Total weight ~ 8000lbs. It's an aluminum trailer which makes a difference, but tongue weight is ~ 900lbs. No problem pulling w/my 2016 F150 and I don't expect a problem w/my incoming 2021 even @ reduced (Platinum) payload of 1250lbs.
Thanks for that info. There have been enough people with similar setups that I'm pretty confident I can do what I want, but yeah, a more expensive aluminum trailer is probably going to be the best solution. I feel for all the folks trying to figure out how to pull big campers with their families. All I need in my racecar and support parts/equipment, and myself, I think it will work quite well. Thanks again.
Sponsored