Falken Wildpeak AT3W vs Toyo AT3 vs Nokian Outpost AT

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Looking at one of these 3.

Likely in 285/65/20 with stock wheels. Uses are 90% highway.
(work commute is 60 miles per day of freeway / highway)
Being that I live in Alberta I want something 3 peak rated that will do well one snow / ice covered highways.

I had Duratracs in the past that were good. But got noisy as they wore.

Anyone have any experience with these tires? Mainly looking at winter highway performance as I don't do much off road. Like the Duratracs I had, I'll be looking at LT load range E due to the fact I tow an RV in the summer.
Sponsored

thechester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I don't have experience with the Nokian Outpost but I've had their Hakkas and WR G4 in the past. That WR G4 is a must-own tire if you drive anything in besides a sports car or a truck anywhere that it snows. I adored that tire on my Outback.

The Hakkas were on my WRX and they were awesome.

I would expect the Outpost to be just as excellent for it's specific uses.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
No experience with the Outpost either but have had great experience with the LT2 on a previous truck. I used to run dedicated snows in the winter but wasn't able to find any in the size I wanted.

Currently running the Toyo AT3 and have been happy with them. I had them siped last winter and it made a noticeable difference driving in the snow/ice. That's my current plan this winter as well.

Note that I have heard great things about the Falkens as well - lots of people run them up here and are happy with them. It was a toss up between those and the Toyo for me but went with the Toyo because it was a lighter tire by a few pounds.

MillstoneF150

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 CCSB Space White STX
Check out the Firestone Destination XTs as well. A lot lighter than the other three.

Sponsored

MillstoneF150

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reactions: 780
OP
OP

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No problem, that's what I'm going with in 285/65/20 as well.
Are leaving the suspension stock or will you level? I'm debating a 2" as I want to leave some rake for when I tow our travel trailer.

MillstoneF150

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are leaving the suspension stock or will you level? I'm debating a 2" as I want to leave some rake for when I tow our travel trailer.
My truck had 3" of rake and I installed a 2" Motofab level and it is a true 2". I wanted rake as well. 1,500 miles on level and so far so good. Only $60 too.

Sky111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost Platinum, FX4/MaxTow/6.5
When I changed my stock rims, I got Nokian Outpost AT and I absolutely love it! Unlike most AT tires, Nokians are not noisy at all.
But for the winter I am thinking about getting Nokian real winter tires.

OP
OP

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When I changed my stock rims, I got Nokian Outpost AT and I absolutely love it! Unlike most AT tires, Nokians are not noisy at all.
But for the winter I am thinking about getting Nokian real winter tires.
They are my first choice but am being told they are out of stock. No ETA on new stock but possibly not till spring.

Sponsored

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
The Wildpeak AT3W has been my go to since they first came out and they have exceeded my expectations in all areas except longevity. For that, I usually get between 45-50k on a set which is not bad but below the 55k stated life. There is still some tread left at that point but not enough for me to feel comfortable driving in the snow with. They used to be significantly cheaper than comparable options but are now priced inline with their competition.

Last edited:

Farmerj

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2020 (2023)
You buying all those local or mail order.

my preference going to be Falken Wildpeak AT3W. It’s what my local farm coop carries for Their farm propane service trucks so it’s what I use. Mud, snow or pavement.

OP
OP

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You buying all those local or mail order.

my preference going to be Falken Wildpeak AT3W. It’s what my local farm coop carries for Their farm propane service trucks so it’s what I use. Mud, snow or pavement.
Local. But only one tire store carries Nokians. So, it's looking like it's between the Falkens and Toyos.
They are checking on availablity of 285/70/20 and said I should have an answer today.

They said Falken's are usually cheaper than Toyos and Falkens seem to be what sells the most.

Jglew82

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Occupation
Tech lead
I've run the Falkens on 2 different vehicles - my 90 Chevy C1500 and 2015 F250. Loved them on both trucks. They were quiet and had great all weather manners. I'll probably throw a set on my PB eventually.

OP
OP

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Still no ETA for availability on the Nokian's or Falkens. I'm being told possibly out of stock on the sizes I asked about until spring. Looks like I'll be going with Toyo AT3's.
FIngers crossed they are decent on Alberta's partially snow / ice covered highways...
Or at least as good as my Duratracs were on my previous truck.
Sponsored