Fake engine sound

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
That just blows me away.. I consider myself a tech head but have never heard of this before..
Learning everyday..
Yessir, it’s actually pretty common across several vehicle manufacturers on new cars and trucks today.
Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I would think one of the reasons for the Powerboost would be reduced engine noise. To pipe in exhaust notes would be counter productive. I'd really like to know if this is the case.
Ummmm, why would you think that about PowerBoost?

It’s a full Hybrid System so with “regular” driving on the roads or the interstate, the vehicle will always be running on the gasoline engine.

Now, if the new F150 was a 100% EV, I would understand your reasoning but then again, an EV vehicle is more about being cheaper to operate and repair, not about the sound it makes while operating it.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Ummmm, why would you think that about PowerBoost?

It’s a full Hybrid System so with “regular” driving on the roads or the interstate, the vehicle will always be running on the gasoline engine.

Now, if the new F150 was a 100% EV, I would understand your reasoning but then again, an EV vehicle is more about being cheaper to operate and repair, not about the sound it makes while operating it.
The engine cuts off during regular driving, not just under 10mph. I personally want no extra noise in the cabin. Part of why I don’t want a V8 (on top of many other things)

igor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost
unpopular opinion - i would love a dial where I could turn the "fake" sound UP if I wanted - I'm getting the powerboost, and while i generally love how quiet my current 3.5L EB is, sometimes I just want a nice V8 rumble. Would be happy to add MORE piped noise in if I could....

Sponsored

J509

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited
unpopular opinion - i would love a dial where I could turn the "fake" sound UP if I wanted - I'm getting the powerboost, and while i generally love how quiet my current 3.5L EB is, sometimes I just want a nice V8 rumble. Would be happy to add MORE piped noise in if I could....
This is why I like the sport mode setting on my 2018 Limited it enhances the sound as well as the throttle response. As we are all different, what is noise to some is excitement to others which is ok, just enjoy the moment! Btw good bye 2020!!

Vpswcci

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Taurus Limited, 2021 f150 Platinum (soon!)
As for me, I guess I’m a purist, I want what I buy without someone trying to dupe me into thinking I got something else. If I wanted noise I could have gotten the V8 and messed with the exhaust. I got the platinum powerboost hybrid cause I want a more luxury quiet ride . Make it an option. I’m good with that. Just saying!

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
That just blows me away.. I consider myself a tech head but have never heard of this before..
Learning everyday..
It also shows how not fake the sound is.

Never bothered me so I never worried about it but was blown away that there was enhanced motor sound and I could not tell it to be fake.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
It also shows how not fake the sound is.

Never bothered me so I never worried about it but was blown away that there was enhanced motor sound and I could not tell it to be fake.
Yep...

2017 Silver Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 XLT and 1988 Mustang GT
Occupation
Machinist
I remember watching a vid on how to disable this in forscan (it just came up in my youtube suggestions!) and it was the first I'd heard of it. I think it was only Lariat and up? Or was it KR and up?
Co-worker's son had a Lariat Sport with a 3.5l EB and he told me it activated when he engaged sport mode on the transmission. This is only knowledge I have and it's word of mouth. Take it as you will.

Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
The engine cuts off during regular driving, not just under 10mph. I personally want no extra noise in the cabin. Part of why I don’t want a V8 (on top of many other things)
Ummmm, I think you misunderstood me.

The Stop/Start feature can be disabled and has nothing to do with the Hybrid system.

From a dead stop, the vehicle can be in a pure electric mode but the gasoline engine will soon kick in.

Yes, during regular driving, but not on the interstate.

Unless you disable this feature, you’re going to hear the augmented sound.

Last edited:

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota Matrix
Occupation
Retired

The Stop/Start feature can be disabled and has nothing to do with the Hybrid system.

From a dead stop, the vehicle can be in a pure electric mode but the gasoline engine will soon kick in.

Can it be disabled from the Sync 4? Or do I have to purchase one of those Forscans?

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L

Yeah not talking about the stop start. The engine cuts off while coasting at almost any speed. Therefore I wouldn’t want any engine noise added when I’m coasting on electric at 45mph, or at all really.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Can it be disabled from the Sync 4? Or do I have to purchase one of those Forscans?
No, it can’t be disabled in the SYNC 4 system by simply going into a setting on the screen because it’s not made to be defeated.

One will have to use FORScan if it’s capable of doing it on the new SYNC 4 system and the same thing applies to taking it to a competent car audio shop.

With that being said, if this wasn’t mentioned, the vast majority of people wouldn’t even notice it while driving.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I don't know that I have ever paid any attention to it while driving any F-150. Perhaps I just thought that was what the truck sounded like. For me, and I could change my mind, I don't like the utter silence of driving an electric car, so if Ford give me some grunty noise while the Powerboost is running on the battery, that is fine by me.
Sponsored