Sponsored

Failed emissions inspection, unable to connect.

Jdsnowman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4
Occupation
General Manager
Has anyone had their local independent garage not be able to perform a New York State emissions inspection because they could not connect to it? They suggested that I go to the Ford dealer. One dealer mentioned that they have seen this before and I may need a software update. Curious if others have experienced anything similar.
Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
no but that sucks to have to go through that kind of crap

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I may have a solution for you. How attached are you to state income taxation and months of snow?

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Or this:

SSM 51411 2021-2022 F-150 - May Not Communicate With Emissions Testing Equipment
Some 2021-2022 F-150 vehicles may not be able to communicate with some emissions testing equipment. Engineering is aware of the concern and is currently working on a solution expected in 2nd Quarter 2023. Monitor OASIS for updates. As a temporary corrective action, technicians may attempt one of the following: (a) Leave the engine running when performing the emissions test, even when the machine prompts to shut the engine off. (b) If a Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) tool is available at the same location as the emissions testing equipment, use the FDRS tool to download and run the On-Demand DTC self-test on the audio front control module (ACM) and clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) in the ACM, even if none are present. Then within the same key cycle, connect to the emissions test machine and perform the emissions test immediately.

NH_Leadfoot

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
.GOV
Has anyone had their local independent garage not be able to perform a New York State emissions inspection because they could not connect to it? They suggested that I go to the Ford dealer. One dealer mentioned that they have seen this before and I may need a software update. Curious if others have experienced anything similar.
It's funny you should bring this up today. I also had an inspection this morning which the shop could not complete because the truck would either not communicate with their computer, or the readiness was not complete. On Monday I cleared the PCM adaptations because I changed tire size, I'm going to give it another hundred miles or so and bring it back in to see if they can get it worked out, if not, back to Ford.

OP
OP
Jdsnowman

Jdsnowman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4
Occupation
General Manager
It's funny you should bring this up today. I also had an inspection this morning which the shop could not complete because the truck would either not communicate with their computer, or the readiness was not complete. On Monday I cleared the PCM adaptations because I changed tire size, I'm going to give it another hundred miles or so and bring it back in to see if they can get it worked out, if not, back to Ford.
It's good to know that we are not alone. I have also used Forscan to make some minor changes and wondered if that had anything to do with it. Based on the document sent by zacko11288 above, I think I'm in the clear and will let the dealer do the update. I just need to make it until next week without my expired inspection being noticed.

Sponsored

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Washington State eliminated emission tests on all vehicles.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
Wow, messed up. Not a fan of the coal rollers around my state, but equally not a fan of holding a late model, unmodified gasser owner hostage with this sort of situation. Leave it to gubment to hump a doorknob twice.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Wow, messed up. Not a fan of the coal rollers around my state, but equally not a fan of holding a late model, unmodified gasser owner hostage with this sort of situation. Leave it to gubment to hump a doorknob twice.
I drive my EV a lot, I've really started to hate shitbag clunkers generating any noticeable odor. I also have more free charging than I could ever use so I try to always stop by a charger on trips and get some free juice. Yesterday I was presented with a vehicle protocol error. The charger was blaming the car, the car was blaming the charger, and I was just glad I don't actually rely on public charging. I could have paid, but that was defeating the point of being present for my FREE electrons.

Most vehicle emissions I think are pretty great. They're feeding the trees and generating water by converting hydrocarbons.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
To be fair, you don't need tailpipe emissions testing to catch a guy running a DPF delete with an 1875 Union Pacific tune.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
To be fair, you don't need tailpipe emissions testing to catch a guy running a DPF delete with an 1875 Union Pacific tune.
It's okay, you can call them douchebag tunes. When you're blowing unburnt fuel out of the exhaust pipe, your tuner has no clue what they're doing. Reputable shops don't need to dump fuel out of the exhaust to make power (see Banks)
Sponsored