Sponsored

Failed 1.7.1 update, eagerly awaiting BlueCruise, whats your plan?

caldak

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 4X4
Occupation
Transient
Mine was at the dealer for 9 days. FINALLY got my notice that it is done. Works as advertised with all other functions working normally. My dealer made this happen(y), not FoMoCo. They were useless.:poop:
Ford F-150 Failed 1.7.1 update, eagerly awaiting BlueCruise, whats your plan? Blue_cruise_notificatio

Ford F-150 Failed 1.7.1 update, eagerly awaiting BlueCruise, whats your plan? Blue_Cruise_display
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Actually your dealership couldn't have made it happen without FoMoCo providing them with the software tools (FDRS) and the update files themselves, and the technology in the truck that the software applies to.

But I get your point. :)

rack04

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost
First, you are in the Dallas area which means you have access to @Jesse-Infotainment @iceman77 who are probably the top two experts when it comes to FDRS and all these damn updates. Money, beer, or food will probably get their help.

As for reading the FDRS thread definitely do that, but most importantly read the first post by Ice & the doc prepared by @Bob_Mac. Get yourself the recommended battery tender and the Mongoose adapter (NOT THE NANO) and you can get it updated. FWIW I waited almost a month for my USB update to kick and get me past 1.7.1. Once I got over that hump I was pretty good until I got stuck in the restart loop which was caused by a bad battery and low voltage. I'm now running Blue Cruise and have all the nice updates to Sync as well.
Regarding the hump getting past 1.7.1, is that month wait an alternative to TSB 22-2150?

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Regarding the hump getting past 1.7.1, is that month wait an alternative to TSB 22-2150?
Yes. When I did the updates TST 22-2150 didn't exist so it was a LONG wait for it to kick over. It randomly one day decided to kick over when I visited Sonic.

Skeldog99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
If your just looking to push through the initial broken OTA's part, a VX nano will get you that far for $100. But you would need to stop there.
The VX nano got me all the way to blue cruise, just don’t touch the CCM. I got the mongoose in today, updated the CCM and in 10 mins I filed a return back to Amazon. I’ll still keep the nano. The other option is to update all except the CCM and then make an appointment with the dealership and be out within a hour.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JJ_Tex

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I took my very first Blue Cruise drive today and it is awesome! I'm not a techy person, but I can research and follow directions. If helpful here is what I did:

Research the hell out of it:

Once I was comfortable with my approach and ordered everything I needed, I dove in:
  • Day 1 (6 hours) - I started by trying to do the TSB 20-2117 update to get my automatic updates back going. I was most nervous about taking apart my center console, but that was easy and only took a few minutes. Everything was going good in FDRS doing the repair module, but I apparently one of the ethernet adapters I bought kept causing FDRS to error out. Since it was getting late, I just focused on downloading and running as many software updates as I could.
  • Day 2 (8 hours) - I was bummed that I couldn't get the TSB 20-2117 to work and figured I would have to drive around with a USB stick for weeks until it kicked off. I had the stick in my truck for the APIM update and went ahead an ran all of the other updates available. Once I was through all of that, I wanted to go back and try the TSB 20-2117 again. As I was about to unhook the USB connector again, I noticed my screen said "System Updating". I sat nervously in my truck for 5 mins and it finally told me to restart my truck and pull out the USB. That let me turn on automatic updates. From there I was able to run through everything in FDRS and get my truck updated. Before the last APIM update would appear, I had to do a "Clear and Retest" on several modules that were showing orange. Once I did that, the last APIM appeared and I had bluecruise.
For anyone on the fence about doing the update, I would say go for it. This forum is great and I had multiple members (@JEB , @Ajzride , @speedracercjr, @Steve , and a few others), help me out when I had questions. While I am very proud to say I did not need help from @Jesse-Infotainment , knowing that a FDRS wizard was ready to help if I screwed something up gave me the confidence to move forward.

Lastly @Ford Motor Company . I should not have had to shell out $750 and spend 14+ hours updating my truck after the dealer could not/would not make the software update. As that money came out of my pocket, and you do not have to pay the dealer for the update, my fee to you is 3 full years free of BlueCruise. I still spent more than the $600 fee for 3 years, and saved you the $ by not having to pay dealer techs... its a win-win.

charliecbp

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 Limited PowerBoost
I have done the reading and watched the video as well, I bought the mongoose and everything needed to update my truck as well.

I took this weekend to get FDRS and IDS installed and drivers downloaded and run through the tests, next weekend I am going to get the 2 day license Friday morning and start updating.

It pisses me off that I have spend $600-$700 dollars out of my pocket to do this my self, my truck has been to the dealership twice to update using the TSB's for blue cruise and all they managed to do was to kill the battery each time. I have Ford working with me and the service manager and general manager won't return my Ford Reps phone messages or emails.
I had to by a laptop just to do this myself because my laptops are all MacBooks.

Hopefully by the end of next weekend my job 1 2021 Limited that is stuck on 1.7.1 will be have BlueCruise.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I took my very first Blue Cruise drive today and it is awesome! I'm not a techy person, but I can research and follow directions. If helpful here is what I did:

Research the hell out of it:

Once I was comfortable with my approach and ordered everything I needed, I dove in:
  • Day 1 (6 hours) - I started by trying to do the TSB 20-2117 update to get my automatic updates back going. I was most nervous about taking apart my center console, but that was easy and only took a few minutes. Everything was going good in FDRS doing the repair module, but I apparently one of the ethernet adapters I bought kept causing FDRS to error out. Since it was getting late, I just focused on downloading and running as many software updates as I could.
  • Day 2 (8 hours) - I was bummed that I couldn't get the TSB 20-2117 to work and figured I would have to drive around with a USB stick for weeks until it kicked off. I had the stick in my truck for the APIM update and went ahead an ran all of the other updates available. Once I was through all of that, I wanted to go back and try the TSB 20-2117 again. As I was about to unhook the USB connector again, I noticed my screen said "System Updating". I sat nervously in my truck for 5 mins and it finally told me to restart my truck and pull out the USB. That let me turn on automatic updates. From there I was able to run through everything in FDRS and get my truck updated. Before the last APIM update would appear, I had to do a "Clear and Retest" on several modules that were showing orange. Once I did that, the last APIM appeared and I had bluecruise.
For anyone on the fence about doing the update, I would say go for it. This forum is great and I had multiple members (@JEB , @Ajzride , @speedracercjr, @Steve , and a few others), help me out when I had questions. While I am very proud to say I did not need help from @Jesse-Infotainment , knowing that a FDRS wizard was ready to help if I screwed something up gave me the confidence to move forward.

Lastly @Ford Motor Company . I should not have had to shell out $750 and spend 14+ hours updating my truck after the dealer could not/would not make the software update. As that money came out of my pocket, and you do not have to pay the dealer for the update, my fee to you is 3 full years free of BlueCruise. I still spent more than the $600 fee for 3 years, and saved you the $ by not having to pay dealer techs... its a win-win.
Great Job on getting the updates done. I hope you can enjoy the truck fully now. Blue cruise is really cool and make longer drives a lot less stressful.

When I first came onto the forum I would explain to people their issue was related to an update and the dealer can do the update. I knew dealers werent really wanting to do software updates but little did I know just how bad it was until the COUNTLESS number of messages and looking at what dealers did versus what was being told to the customer. I then changed my strategy to possibly having them do it themselves. Iceman was the first run. Then he was so confident he made the thread.

I know its a lot of money for anyone. The only thing that comes out of it is you are now more informed and comfortable with your truck. It also helps with knowing you dont have to rely on the dealers as much. I have seen posts about people being without their trucks for WEEKS. I dont know how much that costs in terms of time without the truck and use and payment. I know these new trucks are easily 1000$ a month in some cases.

You did a great job and LISTENED! I cant stress that enough. We arent going to steer you wrong. We are here to help. The guys are just awesome guys that were in the same situation you were. They all were nervous. So now maybe you can pass it on and help with things you may know.

Yes im always here if need be. Im needed less now and that is good. Anyways I am glad you got it done. ENJOY!!

ejosterberg

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Platinum, 17 Explorer Limited, 11 Edge
Occupation
Engineer
I filed a return back to Amazon.
@Skeldog99 and others here buying and returning the Mongoose...
Mongoose made a great product that doesn't risk bricking a component of your truck...

I also bought one to update my Truck. My ethics prevent me from returning mine. It worked great!
I'd considering loaning it out, but I'm concerned about who I might loan it to... It is a bit expensive, but you get what you paid for. (some of us paid for anyhow)

AND a HUGE thank you to @Jesse-Infotainment for the support and sharing, along with all the others out there who share what they have learned for the rest of us. I have no doubt I'd be still without BlueCruise and cursing Ford for this terrible roll out and (lack of) communications plan.

Great community here! I appreciate all of you for sharing! ;-)

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I consider the Mongoose just another tool for the shop. And I suspect that owning a Powerboost and other future Ford products implies it won't be a single time use tool anyways.
As for the co$t?

It's already worth every penny I paid just for avoiding the aggravation and effort required to deal with a dealership. I read post after post of fellas going without their truck for incredibly long periods of time and then get the truck back still not fixed.

Life is too short for that. I understand the principle, believe me. But winning battles is far less important to me in my old age. Enjoying the day is everything. My truck being 100% functional is a joy to enjoy. :)

Sponsored

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Mongoose made a great product that doesn't risk bricking a component of your truck...

I also bought one to update my Truck. My ethics prevent me from returning mine. It worked great!
I'd considering loaning it out, but I'm concerned about who I might loan it to... It is a bit expensive, but you get what you paid for. (some of us paid for anyhow)

AND a HUGE thank you to @Jesse-Infotainment for the support and sharing, along with all the others out there who share what they have learned for the rest of us. I have no doubt I'd be still without BlueCruise and cursing Ford for this terrible roll out and (lack of) communications plan.

I couldnt agree more. Most of us here still would be without blue cruise if not for the support of members of this forum. I could never bring myself to return the mongoose cable because I got what I need for now out of it. I will use it again. To be honest Im kind of surprised that so many guys are so willing to admit they bought it...USED IT...and now they returned it. Mongoose and Amazon should not except it for return in my opinion.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

Thank you for the mention. I have become less needed. So many people are helping now that they have taken the leap and have a better understanding of the process. I have become more limited to extreme cases. I am glad you and others have taken the leap and now understand the feeling that comes with completing the upgrades.

The other thing that seems to be looked over by others that continue to stress the dealers should do these upgrades. They should .. but the education that comes with the process is invaluable as a owner.

Skeldog99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I kept the Nano. I haven’t had any issues updating the modules except the CCM. If another CCM update comes then I’ll have to buy it again or make an appointment with the dealership to update it.

zhq15186

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo S60 T5 Momentum
Occupation
proofreader
I also didn't have a GWM update available as accounting assignment help I assume that will be later. The PCM update appeared to keep the ICE on longer than usual and has repeatedly done so.
Sponsored

Last edited: