First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat Sport PB, 20 Escape Titanium Hybrid
Occupation
Distributor/Dirt Mover
I got one too, took about 30 minutes to put on yesterday, raining all day today, can report back how waterproof it is! :)
Is this cover easy to take off? I like the looks and @daemonic3's price. I'm going from a 6.5 bed SuperCab to a 5.5 SuperCrew and will need to put 48" pallets in the back occasionally. It was no problem w tryfold 6.5 because 2 flips still left 4' available. So I will need to remove it now and then. Thx. Rick

update:

I just watched a Youtube video and it is easy. Don't even have to crawl under and undo thumb nuts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Is this cover easy to take off? I like the looks and @daemonic3's price. I'm going from a 6.5 bed SuperCab to a 5.5 SuperCrew and will need to put 48" pallets in the back occasionally. It was no problem w tryfold 6.5 because 2 flips still left 4' available. So I will need to remove it now and then. Thx. Rick

update:

I just watched a Youtube video and it is easy. Don't even have to crawl under and undo thumb nuts.
The thing we are trading off is flush profile vs about 1/2" profile. The flush tonneaus have the drain tubes since water sheds along the rails, but if it sits on top (even 1/2") then water sheds over the rails. So it just makes the overall ease of install and quick release removal, for only 1/2" profile, sells it for me. I just prefer to take the whole thing off than block my rear view. I also figure as long as the oversized load doesn't take the entire bed width, I can strap the removed tonneau to the right side box links out of the way safely. So many possibilities!

Also the last tip on the insanely low price was to PM user 'truckalter' over at f150forum.com and ask about the particular tonneau as "forum member price". I saw his offer in some tonneau thread over there. He will send an invoice in email, and it will get delivered. Seems like it is barely above cost to him... Just check if they carry it at truckalterations.com

rikker

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Distributor/Dirt Mover
The thing we are trading off is flush profile vs about 1/2" profile. The flush tonneaus have the drain tubes since water sheds along the rails, but if it sits on top (even 1/2") then water sheds over the rails. So it just makes the overall ease of install and quick release removal, for only 1/2" profile, sells it for me. I just prefer to take the whole thing off than block my rear view. I also figure as long as the oversized load doesn't take the entire bed width, I can strap the removed tonneau to the right side box links out of the way safely. So many possibilities!

Also the last tip on the insanely low price was to PM user 'truckalter' over at f150forum.com and ask about the particular tonneau as "forum member price". I saw his offer in some tonneau thread over there. He will send an invoice in email, and it will get delivered. Seems like it is barely above cost to him... Just check if they carry it at truckalterations.com
Thx. Do you have a part # on your invoice to make it easy on him for me to order?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Thx. Do you have a part # on your invoice to make it easy on him for me to order?
It was for Lomax B3010019

I have the 5.5ft bed, and I chose black urethane finish. You can get black matte and corrugated metal finishes as well. There is "single rail" and "split rail" and for fords the single is what we need.

rikker

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Distributor/Dirt Mover
It was for Lomax B3010019

I have the 5.5ft bed, and I chose black urethane finish. You can get black matte and corrugated metal finishes as well. There is "single rail" and "split rail" and for fords the single is what we need.
I just paid for my Lomax B3010019 black urethane from Kyle at Truck Alterations at your great price. Thank you! I plan on using it as a fold up awning until my truck arrives. It is waiting for Norfolk Southern on Ramp 58 2 days ago with an estimated delivery of Mar. 13.
I wish I could just drive to Detroit - 6 hours - and pick it up at the self serve counter, and save the $1695 and mostly the waiting aggravation.

Sponsored

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Ryan, most likly you will get all kinds of traffic on individual preferences. I decided to say away from anything electrical driven. This is my last truck for many, many years to come. I'm all about reliabilty and don't need to add more electrical devices to a truck fulll of other electrical items. Personally, as of now I'm going with the Hard Triflod BAKFLIP MX4. I had a cover almost identical on my 2016 Platinum. I never left anything of great value in the bed - during my travels, staying in hotels etc... and never had issues. It worked great for me.

Ha ha how things change. I went with a RETRAX MX - It's alreay on hand. Soon as I get the truck - taking it for a install along with rain guards, sunroof air guard and mud flaps.

My1stF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat velocity blue, 2.7 FX4 sport
Does anyone have any experience with the previous Ford cover by Rev which is a rebranded Bakflip H2? I have an opportunity to get a used one for a very good price. One thing that I noticed in a video review of it is that you have to lift it up slightly before you can close the tailgate so the rear seal doesn't catch. I know some of the latest offerings from Bakflip, UnderCover, etc don't have this issue. Is it a huge annoyance? This is my first truck so I'm trying to envision its usage. I think it'll be a minor inconvenience as it's not as if I'm constantly opening and closing the tailgate so I think I could live with it for the price I'm getting it for. Thoughts?

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Got my Lomax trifold installed today and it does not interfere at all with the tailgate closing and the weatherstrip does not get tweaked. Including a video.

I have not done a water test or anything, I'm not really relying on it to be perfect, but I do wonder if anyone has had to add some rubber or something right at the edges of tail step? It creates a groove the goes under the seal, im not sure how any brand tonneau would prevent leaks there so I'm curious.

Sponsored

Sthomasson72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybridf
Occupation
Operations manager
I wanted to follow up on my report of my new Retrax Pro XR on my 2021 Lariat with short bed.

It rained very hard today and winds were gusting to over 20 miles per hour. Truck is parked on the open area of my driveway backed in with slight slope angle down to the cab, therefore more water would drain off in the area between the bed and the cab vs. off the tailgate side.

Once the rain stopped I opened the tailgate and other than few drips that came in when I opened it, the bed was completely dry. I then opened the Retrax cover to 90% open, again other than a few drops I caused from opening it while the top of the Retrax was really very wet the bed was dry.

I am very pleased with this Retrax Pro XR retractable cover, my one and only complaint so far would be that the rubbery cover that protects and covers the key latch area pops open by itself. Not sure if this is just a bad one or do all do this...I will touch base with the factory next week and see what they have to say as the unit does come with a lifetime warranty. Anyone else with this same issue?

Does the tailgate open and close remotely with this cover closed

Sthomasson72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybridf
Occupation
Operations manager
Black interior, any other would show too much dirt after a while as I am a contractor and sometimes I have to get down into it if you know what I mean. Truck has the Lariat 502a, Star White, 3.5L, tow tech package, power running boards, twin moonroof, power tailgate, 20" wheels, lower two tone paint, wheel well liner and spray in Toughbed liner. I also added on the 8 year extended bumper to bumper warranty as I expect to keep her as I did my 2009 Lariat for about 10 years or so.
What did the extended warranty run you?

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I considered the loss in height for cargo with a cover that fits between the bed rails, with one that fits on the bed rails, and that 1" or so has made a difference a few times, most recentlty when hauling tires that just allowed me to close the cover. If you live in a cold climate ,where freezing rain occurs often, rolling covers can have issues when they get iced over. And of course rolling covers take up cargo space, which is already at a premium with a 5.5' box. And some trifold covers cover the rear window when fully opened, which I don't like.