First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
Can't say for sure but it rained today while the truck was in the driveway and then needed to drive cross town and it rained pretty good, not the hardest but not only a drizzle either... checked the bed for water and was stone dry. I also have installed the tailgate seal too. I will report once there is a real heavy rain and let everyone know. But traveling at highway speeds in the rain and bed is dry is good indication. I am very pleased with the quality.
Rained again today, opened the Retrax Pro XR and the bed was dry a few drops fell in while I moved it and watched as the water drained down the drain tubes, some water did drip in from the front of the bed but not much and that I must assume is due to opening it with rain on the top. So I am pleased with the dry bed so far.
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Well I don't think anyone else is getting a Lomax Tri-fold but mine arrived today as I ordered it thinking I might have my truck by now. It is STILL 2 weeks away! I'll share pics eventually and answer q's if anyone has them when the time comes. Should only take an hour to install.

This (urethane finish) was only $710 out the door including tax and shipping, beating Amazon by almost $250.

Got it for the low profile, no drain tubes (seals over the rails) and tool-less removal when needed. I will weigh it tomorrow.

Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover 20210224_190301

https://www.agricover.com/lomax/

Product link if anyone is curious.

Last edited:

rjpicucci

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew XL
I just installed a Bakflip F1. Easy install and looks good. I chose the F1 vs some of the other models because it's got fiberglass/aluminum sandwiching and although they claim the aluminum only are scratch resistant, reviews suggest the fiberglass top layer is more resistant to scratching. So far, very happy but it has been less than a week with it.

Clamp the rails, layout the cover in the rails, tighten the front star screws, and install the water drain tubes. Took me about 20 minutes. The only thing I'll say is if you have a spray in bed like I do, don't attach the bulkhead weather stripping to the bed. Ignore the instructions and attach it to the underside of the cover instead. This was also their recommendation.

Also, this model's been around or a while and it used to require a lift to close the tailgate but no longer. You can close the tailgate with it fully closed. If I had one complaint, it would be that I would rather have a flat black instead of the glossy look but it's a minor thing for me.

goatlord99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Supercrew Lariat Powerboost
Well I don't think anyone else is getting a Lomax Tri-fold but mine arrived today as I ordered it thinking I might have my truck by now. It is STILL 2 weeks away! I'll share pics eventually and answer q's if anyone has them when the time comes. Should only take an hour to install.

This (urethane finish) was only $710 out the door including tax and shipping, beating Amazon by almost $250.

Got it for the low profile, no drain tubes (seals over the rails) and tool-less removal when needed. I will weigh it tomorrow.

20210224_190301.jpg

https://www.agricover.com/lomax/

Product link if anyone is curious.
I got one too, took about 30 minutes to put on yesterday, raining all day today, can report back how waterproof it is! :)

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Explorer, 2021 VW ID.4, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
Any idea about quality difference between Retrax and GatorTrax? Looking at the Retraxone MX and the GatorTrax. GatorTrax is $100 more expensive but on sale until Tuesday for $130 cheaper then the Retraxone.

Sponsored

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
Any idea about quality difference between Retrax and GatorTrax? Looking at the Retraxone MX and the GatorTrax. GatorTrax is $100 more expensive but on sale until Tuesday for $130 cheaper then the Retraxone.
I think it is the Lifetime Warranty on the Retrax.

Colin.Drury

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat - 66 Mustang 289
Occupation
Recreation Industry
I've got a Bakflip on my current truck. Likes - Ease of use, seals fairly well, comes off easy. Dislikes - blocks back window when using full bed.

New truck - Going with the Retrax Pro XR ($1650 from RealTruck) Reasons - wanted a rack over the bed for bikes, back window free, willing to give up a bit of the bed because I went with a 6.5.

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 4x4 XLT Sport Powerboost
Occupation
Energy
Based on friends & neighbors with F-150s, I'm almost certainly going with a BAK Revolver X4. Easier for the Missus to open & close, and mostly watertight.
My wife and I love the revolver we had on the 2016, luckily it swapped over.
The retrax sound awesome, and I wonder how it works with snow and winter weather.
For whatever it’s worth, the revolver isn’t the best in freezing temp, if you’re going to leave it outside and need to roll the cover for access to the full bed. The cover gets stiff and doesn’t really roll up. Hardly if ever ran into the problem, just once recently, my mom bought Costco furniture and I had to roll it up in town to carry her sofa. Otherwise it’s a rare issue.
It’s my favorite cover I’ve had over the years and definitely recommend.
I still have to seal this one in some places but it’s mostly around the tailgate.

Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover E20E4782-33A5-48C1-90FE-222FFA92E299

Last edited:

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
Undercover Armorflex Tri-Fold Bed Cover, has line-x top and is more durable that just about anything else w/5yr warranty, works with power tailgate and doesn't really leak ($1100)

Really happy with this bed, and the Line-X on the top is a major bonus. The rubber sides have 'the fold creases' in them, but it's because it's a 2-day old install... heat and time will cause it to normalize.

I have no issues with leaks (so far) as it's rained but not super-hard, and as you can see I have it set so it covers just over the tailgate (to help stop leaking and theft methods) but not enough to keep the tailgate from automatically opening on command.

Undercover Armorflex is made by the same parent company that makes the cheaper BAKFlip line, but other than that they aren't really related. This cover costs about $100 more than the BAK's, but totally worth it in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L44S5DM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover IMG_1404.JPG
Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover IMG_1405.JPG
Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover IMG_1406.JPG

Rich55Marshall

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert
My wife and I love the revolver we had on the 2016, luckily it swapped over.
The retrax sound awesome, and I wonder how it works with snow and winter weather.
For whatever it’s worth, the revolver isn’t the best in freezing temp, if you’re going to leave it outside and hope roll the cover for access to the full bed. The cover gets stiff and doesn’t really roll up. Hardly if ever ran into the problem, just once recently, my mom bought Costco furniture and I had to roll it up in town to carry her sofa. Otherwise it’s a rare issue.
It’s my favorite cover I’ve had over the years and definitely recommend.
I still have to seal this one in some places but it’s mostly around the tailgate.

E20E4782-33A5-48C1-90FE-222FFA92E299.jpeg
Thanks for the review. I live in Connecticut, and it gets plenty cold in the winter, though nowhere near as cold as what you see in Alaska. You mention that "I still have to seal this one in some places but it’s mostly around the tailgate" - would you mind sharing what it is you do?

Sponsored

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 4x4 XLT Sport Powerboost
Occupation
Energy
Thanks for the review. I live in Connecticut, and it gets plenty cold in the winter, though nowhere near as cold as what you see in Alaska. You mention that "I still have to seal this one in some places but it’s mostly around the tailgate" - would you mind sharing what it is you do?
Sure, I’ll take a picture of my 2016 tailgate to show what I did there and so far where I added on the 2021.
I just closed myself in the tailgate one day ? and that’s how I went about it.
I probably did it dumb/hard. But for what it’s worth I had my tailgate sealed this way and those 2” pieces on either side behind the cab and it was water fight for 4 years.
So far I’ve only transferred over the spots behind the cab causeI had those attached to the tonneau.
When I do the tailgate on the ‘21 maybe I’ll hide it a bit better.

Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover D8469AE2-C3CC-4BF8-8901-8D9022F19138

Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover 2BEA6336-0332-41AD-AC30-2E6C65A9A66A

Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover EC14A481-4BAF-48FE-9275-021B2B113766

Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover AB61F3C1-A4D0-483A-B362-037628D0A00C

Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover C59467EA-C341-46D3-8CA7-345010264DAF

Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover 44AC5938-A761-4BDC-96DC-EF1ABA92A6AC

Last edited:

jafo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Star white
Just installed the Gator HR1, rolling "hard" cover and am very impressed so far. Originally I was going to go with a retractable with integrated grooves/rails for a Yakima rack but backed off for a couple of reasons:
  1. Takes up bed space when retracted
  2. More expensive
  3. More difficult to remove when not needed from what I researched.
The Gator will allow me to roll it up for bulkier loads, takes 1 minute to unlatch and remove and when rolled up would still allow me to load my dirtbikes without interference.

Tailgate still drops nicely with the remote when the cover is fully closed.

I also have an Adarac Contour ladder/utility rack coming in to carry my ladders, kayaks and other toys. The Contour is specifically designed to accommodate many folding/rolling covers.
Screenshot 2021-01-21 161317.jpg
What issues do you have with water leaking in?

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Undercover Armorflex Tri-Fold Bed Cover, has line-x top and is more durable that just about anything else w/5yr warranty, works with power tailgate and doesn't really leak ($1100)

Really happy with this bed, and the Line-X on the top is a major bonus. The rubber sides have 'the fold creases' in them, but it's because it's a 2-day old install... heat and time will cause it to normalize.

I have no issues with leaks (so far) as it's rained but not super-hard, and as you can see I have it set so it covers just over the tailgate (to help stop leaking and theft methods) but not enough to keep the tailgate from automatically opening on command.

Undercover Armorflex is made by the same parent company that makes the cheaper BAKFlip line, but other than that they aren't really related. This cover costs about $100 more than the BAK's, but totally worth it in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L44S5DM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_1404.JPG
IMG_1405.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG
Looks great, I have one coming (takes 3 weeks apparently). Can you explain your statement about positioning and how that helps water/theft concerns positioning it further forwards? I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a way to theft proof these a little more....

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer

IMG_1404.JPG
IMG_1405.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG
IMG_1405.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG
Now I dont know whether to buy the Bakflip Mk4 or this one.... Installation seem to be identical:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Now I dont know whether to buy the Bakflip Mk4 or this one.... Installation seem to be identical:
Either way, I you need to get it from truckalterations.com! Go over to the "other" forum and PM user truckalter (he is the owner, Luke) and ask what the forum member price quote would be on whichever you decide (they carry them all). My full out the door (tax and california shipping) was over about $250 less than Amazon (as a reference) for my Lomax. He sent an invoice via email, and it showed up in about a week.

Now, if my f$#*&ing truck would get here I would love to install it and show everyone!
Sponsored