First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
I will be installing the Retrax Pro XR with T-Slot. Anyone with experience with ladder racks that will fit into the T-Slot. Any thoughts on which brand is best, and most importantly that do not make wind noise at highway speeds?
Sponsored

StangTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4, 5.0L
Hard decisions on the covers...I am on my 3rd BAK Revolver x4, it's been replaced under warranty each time so can't say enough good things about their customer service. Just the fit and finish quality is less than desirable. Super sharp edges, arrived scratched, side-rails seemed out of shape making it difficult to align and the glue holding down the rubber moldings is mediocre.

Love the trax system with the RETRAXPRO XR but really don't want to give up bed space since I just moved from the 5.5 to a 6.5 bed! Might be worth giving up the extra inches in the bed to gain the great options above the bed.

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
Hard decisions on the covers...I am on my 3rd BAK Revolver x4, it's been replaced under warranty each time so can't say enough good things about their customer service. Just the fit and finish quality is less than desirable. Super sharp edges, arrived scratched, side-rails seemed out of shape making it difficult to align and the glue holding down the rubber moldings is mediocre.

Love the trax system with the RETRAXPRO XR but really don't want to give up bed space since I just moved from the 5.5 to a 6.5 bed! Might be worth giving up the extra inches in the bed to gain the great options above the bed.
I went though the same considerations regarding folding vs retractable and ended up with the Retrax. I figured the one or two times I may need that space was going to be far less important than a secure way to close and open without blocking the rear window was more important.

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
I went though the same considerations regarding folding vs retractable and ended up with the Retrax. I figured the one or two times I may need that space was going to be far less important than a secure way to close and open without blocking the rear window was more important.
^ this.

StangTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4, 5.0L
Agreed, i'm sold! LOL

Sponsored

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
So what is the best option for security/weatherproofing? I'm leaning towards the UnderCover ultra or armor flex, is there something better for these requirements? Has anyone come up with a way to better security proof them?

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
So what is the best option for security/weatherproofing? I'm leaning towards the UnderCover ultra or armor flex, is there something better for these requirements? Has anyone come up with a way to better security proof them?
I would say the Retrax Pro XR is very secure with key lock. I would say more secure then the folding type.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I would say the Retrax Pro XR is very secure with key lock. I would say more secure then the folding type.
My concern with a rollup is taking away space from the bed. How easy is it to remove if you need the whole bed space?

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
My concern with a rollup is taking away space from the bed. How easy is it to remove if you need the whole bed space?
I would not want to remove it... I had a bed tool box before on my old one and I found it was not an issue... now i have tool boxes the new Milwaukee modular boxes on the floor in the back seat as no one ever sat in the back of my 09 they were always folded up. So now that is where I carry the "stuff" i need leaving the bed for larger/longer items from time time. As as contactor I have staff and other larger vehicle such as the Transit 250. Larger items get delivered to job site or our shop.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Has anyone done or considered buying the UnderCover Ultraflex and painting their own liner coating onto the top surface? It seems to be a $200 premium for the liner for the armorflex. I don't think there's any other differences....thoughts? *Disregard, it's only like a $50-80 premium, not worth the effort*

Has anyone ordered from tonneaucovered.com, people have shown some very good pricing from them, but no one has confirmed ordering from them and their experience.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
Can't say for sure but it rained today while the truck was in the driveway and then needed to drive cross town and it rained pretty good, not the hardest but not only a drizzle either... checked the bed for water and was stone dry. I also have installed the tailgate seal too. I will report once there is a real heavy rain and let everyone know. But traveling at highway speeds in the rain and bed is dry is good indication. I am very pleased with the quality.

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
Has anyone done or considered buying the UnderCover Ultraflex and painting their own liner coating onto the top surface? It seems to be a $200 premium for the liner for the armorflex. I don't think there's any other differences....thoughts? *Disregard, it's only like a $50-80 premium, not worth the effort*

Has anyone ordered from tonneaucovered.com, people have shown some very good pricing from them, but no one has confirmed ordering from them and their experience.
I ordered from them and it's being delivered today.

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
Can't say for sure but it rained today while the truck was in the driveway and then needed to drive cross town and it rained pretty good, not the hardest but not only a drizzle either... checked the bed for water and was stone dry. I also have installed the tailgate seal too. I will report once there is a real heavy rain and let everyone know. But traveling at highway speeds in the rain and bed is dry is good indication. I am very pleased with the quality.
And you got the one from Retrax right? (because there are all kinds of kits on Amazon)

HandyMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F350 Powerstroke
I don't need security. Just need something to keep stuff in the bed clean and dry, but also need to be able to easily remove it when I need to use the full bed... so I went with a soft tri-fold.

A 5.5' bed is already almost too short for me without giving up a chunk of it to a tonneau.

Rich55Marshall

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert
Based on friends & neighbors with F-150s, I'm almost certainly going with a BAK Revolver X4. Easier for the Missus to open & close, and mostly watertight.
Sponsored