First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
I'm really torn... i really like the professional build quality and functionality of the Retrax Pro XR (with rail) but also want to add something like Putco molle system or Built Right Industries bedside rack system. The Putco also has a back wall panel that may not fit if i have a cassette of a retractable cover.

My number one priority is that it's as waterproof and secure as possible. So what product is that?
Sponsored

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I'm really torn... i really like the professional build quality and functionality of the Retrax Pro XR (with rail) but also want to add something like Putco molle system or Built Right Industries bedside rack system. The Putco also has a back wall panel that may not fit if i have a cassette of a retractable cover.

My number one priority is that it's as waterproof and secure as possible. So what product is that?
A fiberglass option like undercover lux. They are a pain to remove to use the bed. I have a full cap on my current truck and I’ll never do that again. I created a lift system with ratchets to put it in and off by myself. Still a pain.

Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover 2D6E6EA1-40B3-449F-ABAE-214B78655D38

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
A fiberglass option like undercover lux. They are a pain to remove to use the bed. I have a full cap on my current truck and I’ll never do that again. I created a lift system with ratchets to put it in and off by myself. Still a pain.

2D6E6EA1-40B3-449F-ABAE-214B78655D38.jpeg
I love that!! I never even tried removing mine, just seemed like a pain.

KTMADVRDR

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 F350, 2004 BMW X5
Occupation
Physician
Just another $0.02 worth of info I found out about the Retrax Pro MX. I noticed that our Fire Chief has one on his department F-150 and asked him about it. He said he hates it. It leaks badly. And when left outside it will freeze and be impossible to open.

Sponsored

OP
OP
papa.charlie

papa.charlie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat SCrew F-150 PB FX4
Just another $0.02 worth of info I found out about the Retrax Pro MX. I noticed that our Fire Chief has one on his department F-150 and asked him about it. He said he hates it. It leaks badly. And when left outside it will freeze and be impossible to open.
Do you know if this is just the latch freezing or is it the slats and/or rollers? Reason I ask is that since the electric cover doesn't have this feature, freezing may not be an issue for those models.

KTMADVRDR

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 F350, 2004 BMW X5
Occupation
Physician
Do you know if this is just the latch freezing or is it the slats and/or rollers? Reason I ask is that since the electric cover doesn't have this feature, freezing may not be an issue for those models.
I did ask him that and he said it was due to the water freezing in the tiny openings between the individual slats. I also asked him if he had made sure the drain tubes weren't kinked and had. He said that sometimes with a covering of ice underneath and then snow on top (a scenario we get a lot around here), he would have to just leave it inside a heated bay at the firehouse and let it unthaw. Bummer!

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
I have had the retrax pro mx for 6 years / 3 trucks now and have only had the "freeze" problem once here in MN. For the one time it Froze I simply slapped it a few times on the top to break the bridge between the slots and it open without a issue.

Also I have not had any issue with water that I know of... I have a bed rug inside the bed and have never noticed it wet... FYI - I didn't connect the drain tubes when I installed it.

But to be fair I don't leave it parked outside in the rain for extended periods of time as I work from home and it usually in the Garage. However when driving in heavy rain I have not noticed any dampness.

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
I had been leaning towards a Retrax, until I started to hear other reports of the freezing issue.

As a result of the potential for freezing, as well as being more water-tight, I instead ordered the Xtang Solid Fold 2.0 Tonneau Cover for less than half the cost of the Retrax, just as secure, and a lot easier to install.

Last edited:

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Explorer, 2021 VW ID.4, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
I was definitely leaning towards the Retrax Pro MX, but after all the freezing up stories, I still am :). Not many days with freezing temperatures in San Diego so should be fine.

Sponsored

Hambone

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport, 2011 F150
Occupation
Home Inspector
Just installed the Gator HR1, rolling "hard" cover and am very impressed so far. Originally I was going to go with a retractable with integrated grooves/rails for a Yakima rack but backed off for a couple of reasons:
  1. Takes up bed space when retracted
  2. More expensive
  3. More difficult to remove when not needed from what I researched.
The Gator will allow me to roll it up for bulkier loads, takes 1 minute to unlatch and remove and when rolled up would still allow me to load my dirtbikes without interference.

Tailgate still drops nicely with the remote when the cover is fully closed.

I also have an Adarac Contour ladder/utility rack coming in to carry my ladders, kayaks and other toys. The Contour is specifically designed to accommodate many folding/rolling covers.
Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover Screenshot 2021-01-21 161317

BDUBSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I’ve been watching my roll-n-lock the last couple of days we’ve had rain. I get a few drops at the two front corners. I think I can fix that with some moldable rubber putty. I’m definitely getting water at the rear where the cover buts up against the tailgate. It runs down the tailgate and onto the floor. Also a bit at the corners. I ordered the tailgate weatherstripping and already have it on the bottom and sides of the bed but now I’m going to install it on the cover itself where it meets the top of the tailgate. This should address 98% of it. Will report back.

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
If I get the Retrax Pro XR, any idea how far from the boxlink mount points the cassette would be?

Can anyone who has one measure?

Reason I’m asking is because I’d consider putting in a Ford OEM bed divider in that closet boxlink location and have a bit of a snug compartment between the cassette and divider for smaller items, duffle bags, maybe smaller bins, etc, almost like a ghetto/makeshift toolbox/compartment. Thoughts?

Last edited:

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
If I get the Retrax Pro XR, any idea how far from the boxlink mount points the cassette would be?

Can anyone who has one measure?

Reason I’m asking is because I’d consider putting in a Ford OWM bed divider in that closet boxlink location and have a bit of a snug compartment between the cassette and divider for smaller items, duffle bags, maybe smaller bins, etc, almost like a ghetto/makeshift toolbox/compartment. Thoughts?
I have a Pro MX and will be glad to get you the measurements, but I am not sure exactly what you are asking. Are you talking about the mounts closest to the cab? Here are couple of photos. I put in the cleats before the install so I could still attach to them.

Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover IMG_0728
Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover IMG_0723

Last edited:

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
I have a Pro MX and will be glad to get you the measurements, but I am not sure exactly what you are asking. Are you talking about the mounts closest to the cab? Here are couple of photos. I put in the cleats before the install so I could still attach to them.

IMG_0728.jpg
IMG_0723.jpg
Well I think this answers my question....the cassette comes right to, and mostly overlaps, the boxlink cleats at the back of the bed. No point in trying to plan for a bed divider there.
Sponsored