First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert
First truck, still waiting for its build, and I've been shopping for tonneau covers while I eagerly wait but I'm finding there to be a lot of options. I'd like to get a take from some who have experience. There's 3 covers on my short list but I'd really like to get thoughts from anyone who's had these styles or products on their truck. Anything to keep in mind before settling on one? Are there other cover styles or manufacturers to consider for a shortlist? Also, I have some questions regarding each, are there viewpoints on them anyone would like to share?

Leaning towards:
  • Retractable - Retraxpro Electric Or Manual. Do these jam up with dirt/debris/ice/snow? Problems with the electric motor? Does hooking up the electric version potentially void warranty given they run off the battery? See any issues with the combo of an electric cover with a Powerboost HEV/electrical system?
  • Hard Trifold - BAKFlip MX4. Security seems like it would be questionable given you could easily shim a hooked wire between the tailgate and cover to release the latch mechanism. Same goes for the Revolver X4, is that that true?
  • Hard Rolling - BAKFlip Revolver X4. From pictures I feel like this doesn't look as finished/high quality as hard trifold or retractable. Agree/disagree
Btw, I've recently joined the forum and really enjoying and appreciating everyone's inputs so far. Thanks!
I'm also looking hard at the BAKFlip Revolver X4. This will be my first truck since my '01 Ranger, and my first F150, and hopefully my last vehicle purchase for many years to come. While it looks like I've got quite a wait ahead of me (ordered mine mid-December), I'm now starting to wonder about the possibility of a cap instead of a tonneau cover. I'm still leaning more towards a tonneau cover, but I'd love to get your feedback. Thanks, everyone.
Sponsored

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
I‘m staying away from the BAK products, their trifold has all kind of wrinkle issues at where it attaches and scratches easy - on the top/outside. Lots of youtube reviews showing this.

Im looking at the “UNDERCOVER Armorflex” which seems superior in design and quality
I just got the undercover ultra flex. It much nicer quality and has a carpet lined on the back side. Had bac flip and liked atlot there are much nicer.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Your roll in lock looks great. Aren’t they expensive to buy and have installed?

BDUBSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Your roll in lock looks great. Aren’t they expensive to buy and have installed?
Thanks. It was around $1600 if I recall. Not cheap. They have one that is with a vinyl top over aluminum or the powder coated black aluminum. With the Texas heat, I decided to avoid the vinyl and go with the powder coated aluminum. It has a nice look to it.

Sponsored

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Absolutely know the Texas heat - my days in the El Paso area. I’m in Southeastern part of North Carolina .
I been doing the same in researching tonneau covers. I’m leaning toward the RetraxOne MX -Matte Finish along with purchasing the Retrax gate (tailgate gasket seal. The cover is expensive $1899 and probably $200 to install but the quality, design, way the made the roller bearings & durability - draws me to thinking it may be the best - for long term utilization.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I looked @ the PowerTraxPro XR also - Its aluminium that would work if I was hauling something of up to 500lbs. I became worry about the aluminium - not being as scratch resistent as the polycarbonate. I may also go with the remote version of the polycarbonate - I still have questions of an accessory drawing off battery power - i.e. the long tern reliability.

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
I just had a Retrax Pro MX installed on my KR. No a very good pic.
Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover IMG_0712

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I looked @ the PowerTraxPro XR also - Its aluminium that would work if I was hauling something of up to 500lbs. I became worry about the aluminium - not being as scratch resistent as the polycarbonate. I may also go with the remote version of the polycarbonate - I still have questions of an accessory drawing off battery power - i.e. the long tern reliability.
This is the same as the last one I had without the rail grooves. The coating on it never chipped or lost color for 4 years. I was able to scratch up the very end when it rubbed up against a 4 wheeler.

Sponsored

KTMADVRDR

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 F350, 2004 BMW X5
Occupation
Physician
I have always used a truck bed topper such as ARE or Snugtop in the past. But I'm definitely leaning towards a hard tonneau cover this time. 90% of the time I never needed all of that volume under cover. And for the few times I did, having it out in the open would not have been that big an issue. Appreciate everyone's feedback on the various options.

At first I was leaning towards the Retrax MX, but I don't like three things:
  1. The roll enclosure takes up a lot of the precious space in front of a 5-1/2' bed.
  2. It does not look easy to remove to restore access to the entire bed.
  3. It takes another dedicated action to open with a key. There is the electric version, but I also don't want another key fob dangling all the time. I already have a remote release tailgate on the truck, so there is nothing else necessary to gain access.
So, I've decided on the folding hard cover. The two brands I narrowed down to are BAK and UnderCover. They are both pretty similar. I prefer the UnderCover ArmorFlex more. It's the one coated with Line-X as opposed to the UltraFlex with smooth outer surface. There are many owners complaining about propensity of the UltraFlex to scratch easily.

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
I have always used a truck bed topper such as ARE or Snugtop in the past. But I'm definitely leaning towards a hard tonneau cover this time. 90% of the time I never needed all of that volume under cover. And for the few times I did, having it out in the open would not have been that big an issue. Appreciate everyone's feedback on the various options.

1. The roll enclosure takes up a lot of the precious space in front of a 5-1/2' bed.
  3. It takes another dedicated action to open with a key. There is the electric version, but I also don't want another key fob dangling all the time. I already have a remote release tailgate on the truck, so there is nothing else necessary to gain access.
So, I've decided on the folding hard cover. The two brands I narrowed down to are BAK and UnderCover. They are both pretty similar. I prefer the UnderCover ArmorFlex more. It's the one coated with Line-X as opposed to the UltraFlex with smooth outer surface. There are many owners complaining about propensity of the UltraFlex to scratch easily.
Armorflex is far superior to BAK not just in wear/scratch/dent quality, but also has a 5 year warranty unlike the BAK’s 2 or 3.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

I'll toss one more out there: The Lomax tri-fold. I also am coming from having a shell, and exactly as you said, rarely need the volume and when I do I could have had it open. Dogs also probably prefer it open!

Agree on the rollup canisters! I stopped looking at them for that reason. And my bike requires the full length of the bed, I cannot have even a 5 inch bed length loss (like the Bak in the flipped position). So I want the easiest removable cover. The Bak and Undercover both require tools and you need to keep the nuts safe when you remove it. That's why I like the Lomax - it is a tool-less removal and no loose parts, it unlatches with a pull cord, and it has straps to keep it closed as you carry it on/off to store.

Anyway, I am going to order it from a guy that offers incredible accessory prices over on the other f150 forums. His price was a few hundred less than amazon (for more brands than just the Lomax). The self install on this thing looks easy, no drilling, no drain hoses.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I'll toss one more out there: The Lomax tri-fold. I also am coming from having a shell, and exactly as you said, rarely need the volume and when I do I could have had it open. Dogs also probably prefer it open!

Agree on the rollup canisters! I stopped looking at them for that reason. And my bike requires the full length of the bed, I cannot have even a 5 inch bed length loss (like the Bak in the flipped position). So I want the easiest removable cover. The Bak and Undercover both require tools and you need to keep the nuts safe when you remove it. That's why I like the Lomax - it is a tool-less removal and no loose parts, it unlatches with a pull cord, and it has straps to keep it closed as you carry it on/off to store.

Anyway, I am going to order it from a guy that offers incredible accessory prices over on the other f150 forums. His price was a few hundred less than amazon (for more brands than just the Lomax). The self install on this thing looks easy, no drilling, no drain hoses.
Can you refer us to the “guy” ? Thanks!

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I currently have the Bakflip MX4, dealer installed with Ford branding.
It looks nice and does the job but is not waterproof at all. I’m thinking it may have been poorly installed or the flaps on the front and rear are too flexible or not long enough.
Also, not the most secure choice. It covers your cargo but I would not trust it enough with more valuable items in there.
I honestly wouldn’t trust any cover with higher valued items except one of those fully locking one piece covers and maybe the expensive retractable ones. But any folding variation can be fairly easily broken into.

I’m getting the Extang solid fold 2.0 on my 2021 truck when it arrives. It’s not as nice looking and flush as the Bakflip but from everyone that has one, I hear it’s 100% waterproof which is my main concern.
Sponsored