F150gen14 website ads

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
I mostly browse the site on my iPad. Lately ads have started popping up on the right side taking up about ⅓ of the screen. It doesn’t happen on every page load and will go away if I reload the page. Anyone have an idea how to make it stop?
Sponsored

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I mostly browse the site on my iPad. Lately ads have started popping up on the right side taking up about ⅓ of the screen. It doesn’t happen on every page load and will go away if I reload the page. Anyone have an idea how to make it stop?
I think that's why the site is "free".

For a deeper explanation, research "Capitalism".

OP
OP
Heavishot

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
Don't be a smart alec. If you don't have something constructive, please keep your comments to yourself.

Not complaining about ads in general. It used to only put ads as banners across the top or bottom which doesn't disrupt use of the site.

leonnyy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Occupation
IT
Have you found the decision? I have similar problem with other websites. It ok for me to use my laptop for them but it'll be more convinient to browse everything on my iPad

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
Have you found the decision? I have similar problem with other websites. It ok for me to use my laptop for them but it'll be more convinient to browse everything on my iPad
Get the Brave browser: https://brave.com/

It is available on iPad/iPhone too

Sponsored

OP
OP
Heavishot

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
Brave browser worked. Thanks!

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
The amount of ads on this site is out of control and ridiculous.

I run all traffic on my home network through a custom DNS service that blocks all trackers, ads, malicious sites etc. It does an amazing job. It makes browsing this site bearable.

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
The amount of ads on this site is out of control and ridiculous.

I run all traffic on my home network through a custom DNS service that blocks all trackers, ads, malicious sites etc. It does an amazing job. It makes browsing this site bearable.
What is the name of the service? I am willing to pay for this?

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
What is the name of the service? I am willing to pay for this?
I use NextDNS. https://nextdns.io/

It’s like $1.99 a month. I’d pay 10 times that for it.

It’s not like a pop up blocker, it straight up blocks whole domains (sites) that are deemed malicious, spammy, etc.

There are a 100 ways to make it work. One of the absolute easiest on a mobile device is to just simply use their app on that device. I take it a step further and run it on my home router so ALLLL of my home traffic filters through it. I also run the app on my phone which only runs when I’m not on my home network. It’s automatic.

You can also setup specific safe sites. Like for some reason it will sometimes block things on the hellofresh Website, but I went ahead and added that domain to the safe list so nothing ever gets blocked from there.

When you first set it up, you have to select your filter “lists”. These are always maintained and added to as new bad sites come online.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
Thank you for the very detailed explanation and reply. I'm definitely going to look into this.

Sponsored

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Thank you for the very detailed explanation and reply. I'm definitely going to look into this.
Yeah no problem. If you do go through with it, let me know. I have some advice on how to set it up.

The other thing to be aware of is on certain sites, like this one, the ads are completely blocked but yet the space they take up is still there. So there will be big blank gaps and whatnot where the ad would be. Still much better than looking at the ad, but something to be aware of. Not all sites do that.

Here is an example.

Ford F-150 F150gen14 website ads EB5E6A1B-BC9F-4E17-86E3-F3C7F54D4FAE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum Rapid Red+BAP 701a PB PP FX4
Occupation
Software engineer emeritus
I use PiHole running on a Raspberry Pi to block advertising URLs at the DNS level. This doesn't cost anything to set up outside of the Raspberry Pi itself and your time to set it up. There is more info at https://pi-hole.net/ . All open source. This works like a champ on all devices on our home network, though if you are away and switch to another network or use cell data then you'll see ads again. Perhaps that wouldn't happen with something like nextDNS.

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I use NextDNS. https://nextdns.io/

It’s like $1.99 a month. I’d pay 10 times that for it.
I set up a new Orbi Pro network today, and set up nextdns as well. I paid for the full year after a few hours of watching.

I've been lazy and had a mostly-open network (DNS-wise) for years. I'm amazed at what's being blocked, mostly on my wife's devices...

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
I set up a new Orbi Pro network today, and set up nextdns as well. I paid for the full year after a few hours of watching.

I've been lazy and had a mostly-open network (DNS-wise) for years. I'm amazed at what's being blocked, mostly on my wife's devices...
Haha truth. The advertisements it blocks are just a fraction of the malicious crap that goes on behind the scenes on any casual normal home network. In fact the advertisements are probably the most harmless.

I run a surveillance server, a media server, work from home, have a teenager that is a bigtime PC gamer, and have on average at least 50 devices on my network at any one given time. I run Qotom Firewall device with an Intel Core I3 with 8GB of RAM on OPNSense and 2 AP’s on 1Gb fiber optic service at my house.

You should see my NextDNS logs o_O

NextDNS is good stuff and good people too.

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Indeed. Heh, I work for Cisco, and just got lazy over time... Some day, I'll use my employee discount and go for a full Meraki setup. More than I need, but it is good to nerd-out at times.
Sponsored