First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I agree @RalpL . Ford is pretty much top of hte game for Technology except some odd ommissions like the HUD. Seems like they have regressed in some areas though (like the Ambient light, which I actually appreciated in my '17).

Looking at the GMC though it appears they are giving Ford a run for their money with the interior tech they got going on this year.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
FWIW, I've owned four Chevrolet trucks over the last 50 years and was planning to get a new GMC 1500 Denali with the 3.0 Duramax diesel. It would have replaced my 2013 Siverado 2500HD LTZ with 6.6L Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. It had 130K miles and I sold it last July in anticipation of a new truck.

I've never owned a Ford, but five things convinced me to switch:
1) Powerboost full HEV
2) 7.2kW ProPower
3) BlueCruise
4) Massage seats
5) Dual moon roof

TBH the last thing in the world I thought I would do is get a Ford, but the technology won out. I just wish Ford would adopt the head-up display like GMC.
haha I probably won't go THAT far on the option list, but the Powerboost is still whispering to me "Buy me....".

Some of the other tech seems quite good from what I've seen and seems to available at a lower trim on the Ford : I really like the 360-deg camera (GMC has a similar system at the higher trim level), and I like the trailer technology w/ Ford (using the dial to turn the truck/trailer in reverse; I know "real truck drivers" can back a trailer into any space in the world but, well, I'm not ashamed to admit I ain't a truck driver, lol).
I also like that I can get max trailer and payload pkg's WITH off-road pkg on the Fords but it appears GMC, these are exclusive. Do I NEED them both? Don't know....

rb304

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL FX4
Been a GM man all my life and I really wanted my next truck to be a GMC. I always look for the best possible offering and the F-150 just stood above all the others. The PowerBoost is an amazing package, the ProPower option is awesome, the body is aluminum so it won't rust out and Ford let's you configure the truck in many more ways than the competition.

Build a spread sheet for yourself and compare all the specs, then note the pros & cons. I think it will help you decide.
Exactly what he said. I've been a GM person all my life too. I spent almost six months researching trucks before I ordered mine. I built each configuration on the manufacturer websites and then took what I built to the dealerships and had them run actual numbers with available incentives/discounts, etc. Drove some trucks. I personally don't like the Silverado and think it's ugly. Once I narrowed down to Ford, I then built different trim levels and options to see what would fit my budget and needs. I decided on a truck and took the paperwork to the dealership and put my website build on an actual build sheet and placed the order. ALL OF THAT just to ditch my order and buy a nearly identical truck off the lot. I guess impatience (and the killer used truck market for sellers) got the best of me. ;) The F150 has the most room in the SuperCrew and in my opinion, has the best ride for the trim level I bought, and was looking at.

gatruck2022

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 GMC Sierra 2018 GMC Sierra
Occupation
Retired
FWIW, I've owned four Chevrolet trucks over the last 50 years and was planning to get a new GMC 1500 Denali with the 3.0 Duramax diesel. It would have replaced my 2013 Siverado 2500HD LTZ with 6.6L Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. It had 130K miles and I sold it last July in anticipation of a new truck.

1) Powerboost full HEV
2) 7.2kW ProPower
3) BlueCruise
4) Massage seats
5) Dual moon roof

TBH the last thing in the world I thought I would do is get a Ford, but the technology won out. I just wish Ford would adopt the head-up display like GMC.
For sure, Ford is behind on the HUD. Dodge and Chevy/GMC both have it.

RalpL

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 King Ranch, 601A, PB, 4x2, AMB/SG
Occupation
Retired
haha I probably won't go THAT far on the option list, but the Powerboost is still whispering to me "Buy me....".

Some of the other tech seems quite good from what I've seen and seems to available at a lower trim on the Ford : I really like the 360-deg camera (GMC has a simila

1) Powerboost full HEV
2) 7.2kW ProPower
3) BlueCruise
4) Massage seats
5) Dual moon roof

You're right - I can't believe I forgot all about the Pro Trailer Backup Assist. I'm with you on that. So, I had six reasons to switch to Ford from GMC/Chevy.

Sponsored

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Does GM offer anything larger than a 24 gallon fuel tank? If not, it's not a viable option for long distance towing.

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Does GM offer anything larger than a 24 gallon fuel tank? If not, it's not a viable option for long distance towing.
When I've tried 'building' ones online, I did not see any gas tank options...

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A Carbonized Grey Sport 4x4
I strongly considered GM twins for the cheap diesel option...but the outdated interior (1990's level) was tough to swallow and the new updated 2022 is just coming out (not sure if they hit the lots yet)....if updated version was out I would have strongly considered a GMC Sierra At4 diesel or elevation diesel

Simon11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 502a
I strongly considered GM twins for the cheap diesel option...but the outdated interior (1990's level) was tough to swallow and the new updated 2022 is just coming out (not sure if they hit the lots yet)....if updated version was out I would have strongly considered a GMC Sierra At4 diesel or elevation diesel
This. I like the GMC look on the outside. But on the inside it could have passed for a 90s GM vehicle with a small(compared to the last few years) screen. And less overall tech. As you said I know the new ones seem a massive upgrade but I'm not sure if they're even in the wild yet. If I was looking again today I'd look but at the time I ordered the interiors were not in the same weight class.

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
This. I like the GMC look on the outside. But on the inside it could have passed for a 90s GM vehicle with a small(compared to the last few years) screen. And less overall tech. As you said I know the new ones seem a massive upgrade but I'm not sure if they're even in the wild yet. If I was looking again today I'd look but at the time I ordered the interiors were not in the same weight class.
As I played around with the GMC build website the other day (Canada's), I noticed SOME of that tech isn't being offered right now. As many would guess, its the chip shortage (this is what the website says for some options). One nice touch tho is they give a date for the last time they'll take an order for a particular option...but unfortunately don't have dates for when those options will become available again. One some of the options that have multiple items within it, an item that isn't being offered is still part of the package, so it wasn't clear if the entire option package is reduced in price or not.

Sponsored

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty
I've been watching for new GM trucks too but everything I see is "In Transit". Shouldn't be too far out on the arrivals.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I need the 122" Wheelbase and there's "only one game in town".

All the tech is just a bonus.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I've had my 2015 Canyon since new, and my dad has a 2020 Sierra Denali. The Canyon has been a mixed bag in terms of reliability, but overall, I've been pretty happy with it. My dad loves his Sierra, but the interior is terribly below par for my tastes. I really wish the 2022 refresh had come just a bit earlier so I could have seen one before putting in my F150 order, but I still think Ford wins on the powertrains and self-driving tech. That said, the refreshed Sierra is definitely worth a look, and they're hitting dealer lots now. The online configurator also seems to indicate the Sierra may save you quite a bit on MSRP compared to a similarly equipped F150.

You mentioned the tow package limitations on the GMC. If towing is a need, I would advise you to steer clear of the 2.7EB if you go F150. Google the 2022 Ford RV and Trailering Guide, and check out tow ratings for the F150 with each engine. The 2.7EB still has a pretty low towing capacity regardless of the tow package. Also note the fine print on the bottom for any of the engines. You need the Trailer Tow package at a minimum to tow over 7,000lbs with any engine on this truck, if I'm not mistaken. Max Tow doesn't get you that much more, and Tow Tech (apparently no longer available anyway) doesn't do anything for tow rating.

Good luck with your decision!

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I've had my 2015 Canyon since new, and my dad has a 2020 Sierra Denali. The Canyon has been a mixed bag in terms of reliability, but overall, I've been pretty happy with it. My dad loves his Sierra, but the interior is terribly below par for my tastes. I really wish the 2022 refresh had come just a bit earlier so I could have seen one before putting in my F150 order, but I still think Ford wins on the powertrains and self-driving tech. That said, the refreshed Sierra is definitely worth a look, and they're hitting dealer lots now. The online configurator also seems to indicate the Sierra may save you quite a bit on MSRP compared to a similarly equipped F150.

You mentioned the tow package limitations on the GMC. If towing is a need, I would advise you to steer clear of the 2.7EB if you go F150. Google the 2022 Ford RV and Trailering Guide, and check out tow ratings for the F150 with each engine. The 2.7EB still has a pretty low towing capacity regardless of the tow package. Also note the fine print on the bottom for any of the engines. You need the Trailer Tow package at a minimum to tow over 7,000lbs with any engine on this truck, if I'm not mistaken. Max Tow doesn't get you that much more, and Tow Tech (apparently no longer available anyway) doesn't do anything for tow rating.

Good luck with your decision!
Thanks for that, all good points! I just looked to compare; for the 2.7L F150 with 3.73 rear ratio, puts one at 8300 or 10k (depending on tow package)/1700-ish max payload vs GMC's 2.7L @ 8.9 k max tow/2k payload. Closer than I thought; the formatting differences between the doc's made me think the GMC was maxed at 7k towing, but that was GVWR.

I haven't been looking at any other powertrains (other than the Powerboost hybrid) as I feel the 2.7L's likely provide the best combo of daily driving vs capability; I know they'll limit me on some cases, but such is life :)
Sponsored