Sponsored

F150 Tail Lights: Easy to Steal, Expensive to Replace!

Bossharp

First Name
Clinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Occupation
Retired USN
Would a one piece hard tonneau cover stopped the theft?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
Curious if the alarm triggers on the newer trucks if the tailgate is forced open as they have sensors detecting the gate is ajar. That combined with a security screw may be sufficient for having them choose a different target.

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
I do not think any tonneau will completely stop it except maybe that Diamondback but I bet thieves know which ones have the more vulnerable latch mechanisms and look for them first. If I still had my Bakflip i'd be trying to rig a plate up to cover that wire from the direction of the tailgate and from underneath so I had to reach it from behind to pull. Cost them some time and effort.

Last edited:

Sponsored

gh8toes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traded my '19 platinum for a 2024 King Ranch
Occupation
retired
Good news for you 2024 owners. Appears Ford has done something right for once. This is from the LatchLid website.

Good News! Ford has changed the latch mechanism on the 2024 F Series. It has additional casing around the latch which appears to make it much harder to access the detent to unlock the tailgate.

So, LatchLid is not required to protect the tail lights on your 2024 truck.

We will continue to monitor the market to see if the bad guys find a way to circumvent the new latch mechanism.

See => LatchLid 2024 owners

Might still want to replace the screws for the tail light and tailgate work surface with tamperproof screws as an extra precaution.

bolts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 4 wheel kind

JohngaltinOC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
I'll be using those screws when my truck comes in. Thanks for posting!

The standard torx security heads would be a good start but the miscreants probably have a set of those on then already. These ScrewD (love the name) seem different.
I was just thinking back to when I put torx head security screw in tail gate lock sleeve. Company I got them from had everything under the sun and allowed small order shipped quickly. I'll find name & share.
Was also thinking use them on tailgate access panel would be smart. Anyone ever try filling in "well" of bolt with solder? Does that work?

RedStorm

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5L EcoBoost
I am really starting to despise our modern "society".

I'm sure the replacement was needed right away, but seems less expensive to go with aftermarket units vs stock dealer parts.
A $6k price tag boggles my mind. I can understand the $600 for the BLIS since I don't think you can get that aftermarket. Like you said, aftermarket LEDs ( like Morimoto) are $700 a pair. And $950 for labor is insane. Where did the other $3k come from?

Dakar09

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 FPace SVR, '50 Ford F-1, '65 Ford Galaxie 500
A $6k price tag boggles my mind. I can understand the $600 for the BLIS since I don't think you can get that aftermarket. Like you said, aftermarket LEDs ( like Morimoto) are $700 a pair. And $950 for labor is insane. Where did the other $3k come from?
Pretty sure you can get aftermarket units with BLIS now, prob bit more expensive than the plain LED ones but not Ford expensive. And they take what...an hour tops to do both sides? It's insane.

Sponsored

slow3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
All you need to open a TriFold is a screwdriver and a hanger with a hook.

This has been reported here by a member that had theirs stolen.

That's why we have insurance.
i understand the sentiment, but we should really be removing repeat thieves' fingers hands arms etc.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Ranger; 24 F-150 XL 4x4 RCSB ordered
Occupation
Retired USAF Medic
Here is a chart I found online. Measure the factory screws to find the matching ScrewD size (y)

Ford F-150 F150 Tail Lights:  Easy to Steal, Expensive to Replace! IMG_4359

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
I haven't looked on mine yet , but one solution is to possibly replace fasteners with security fasteners ?
Yes, this is what I was thinking, it's a possibility they may have the right bits, but most likely not. Sounds like a cheap solution, or at least to slow down for the punks.

okmurdog

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 KR, 3.5EB, 5.5', Plat White (ordered)
A person could simply fill the OEM bolt head with epoxy/plastic putty/etc...given that the bolts rarely have to be removed...If they do, use a dental pick/chisel to remove the filler...
Sponsored