First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I think it's a crying shame how Ford changes the price for an engine based on what it goes in. For example, his rcsb Xlt 5.0 engine is $2,335, while putting it in a super crew XLT 145 wb is the same, but move to a 157 wb the price drops to $1,140. That is just messed up. Pricing to add 4 wd is all over the board as well.
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
My truck’s MSRP was around $50K in 2021.
You don’t really get a huge savings going regular cab, or shortbed.

Generally, options cost more the lower the trim and since the reg. cab only goes up to XLT, you can’t go with Lariat; where many of the options are included with more at a better value.

It’s all part of the Ford sunk cost fallacy shell game that they play with trim levels, that’s designed to push buyers into higher trims. Only thing is it breaks down on the regular cab, since no higher trims are available.

The price seems ridiculous because it is, however if you want a regular cab, there’s really no choice unless you go with a stripped base model. The problem then is that you are stuck driving around in it and you’re still paying $43,000 for a regular cab shortbed XL in 4X4 with zero options other than the V8.

The big thing adding to the price increase is the preposterous cost of adding 4X4 to a regular cab XL F-150, which is $5,000 in 2023.

In comparison, adding 4X4 to a crew cab XL F-150 or regular cab XLT only costs $3,900 even though we all know it doesn’t cost any less for Ford.

One good way to save a quick $1,100 from the build is to omit the FX4 sticker package, which is pretty watered down nowadays and isn’t that necessary for the build above; since it’s already got the $600 3.73 e-locker option. So, in effect; you’re paying for the electronic locking rear axle twice. By all accounts, the skid plates are junk and you can add the dash button and extra 4X4 features through forscan.

One of the things to note as far as I recall is that the Ford copilot 360 2.0 Assist is no longer available for lower trims. You need to go up to Lariat for the lane centering feature. So anyone getting an XLT moving forward only gets lane keeping, which isn’t lane centering. So that feature can’t be ordered for the near future.

Good luck!

OneFiddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB BAP
55k for that truck minus 2 doors and some seats an aluminum seems pretty spot on for the tech optioned.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
More components? Not my truck. Ladder frames have been around forever so not really more engineering. SUV’s also tow. Trucks are cash cows and they know it. Heck most folks that own a truck never use it as a truck (pavement princess). I do like fordhouston’s response..lol
Ok, so that tells me you don’t really understand engineering, or DOT and NHTSA regulations. That’s fine, not everyone knows much about them. But to speak about it like you do understand it, when you do not, is intellectually dishonest.

Like I said, I don’t think that’s a full justification of the price difference, but to write it off because you don’t understand it is not justification of your view point either

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Generally, options cost more the lower the trim and since the reg. cab only goes up to XLT, you can’t go with Lariat; where many of the options are included with more at a better value.

It’s all part of the Ford sunk cost fallacy shell game that they play with trim levels, that’s designed to push buyers into higher trims. Only thing is it breaks down on the regular cab, since no higher trims are available.

The price seems ridiculous because it is, however if you want a regular cab, there’s really no choice unless you go with a stripped base model. The problem then is that you are stuck driving around in it and you’re still paying $43,000 for a regular cab shortbed XL in 4X4 with zero options other than the V8.

The big thing adding to the price increase is the preposterous cost of adding 4X4 to a regular cab XL F-150, which is $5,000 in 2023.

In comparison, adding 4X4 to a crew cab XL F-150 or regular cab XLT only costs $3,900 even though we all know it doesn’t cost any less for Ford.

One good way to save a quick $1,100 from the build is to omit the FX4 sticker package, which is pretty watered down nowadays and isn’t that necessary for the build above; since it’s already got the $600 3.73 e-locker option. So, in effect; you’re paying for the electronic locking rear axle twice. By all accounts, the skid plates are junk and you can add the dash button and extra 4X4 features through forscan.

One of the things to note as far as I recall is that the Ford copilot 360 2.0 Assist is no longer available for lower trims. You need to go up to Lariat for the lane centering feature. So anyone getting an XLT moving forward only gets lane keeping, which isn’t lane centering. So that feature can’t be ordered for the near future.

Good luck!
$3790 to add 4x4 to a screw 145 wb Lariat ,$ 4,440 to add it to a platinum, same configuration . $3800 in a King ranch. So because I want a Platinum, I am charged an extra $640. Same chassis, same configuration under the skin. I would like the bean counters to explain this. I have to stop now as this just raises the BP.

Sponsored

Deleted member 12573

Ok, so that tells me you don’t really understand engineering, or DOT and NHTSA regulations. That’s fine, not everyone knows much about them. But to speak about it like you do understand it, when you do not, is intellectually dishonest.

Like I said, I don’t think that’s a full justification of the price difference, but to write it off because you don’t understand it is not justification of your view point either
[/QUOTE
Crazy talk. You getting a little to personal dude. I was talking about a rcsb. Have a good day.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Crazy talk. You getting a little to personal dude. I was talking about a rcsb. Have a good day.
I actually thought I was being perfectly pleasant with a sound, reasonable argument. I’m certainly not on here to win any “e-cred” or anything silly, I thought we were having a civil discussion. To be fair, you did also mention a CRV, I believe.

I apologize if that came across as personal. That certainly wasn’t my intention. Anyways, have a good one.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
$3790 to add 4x4 to a screw 145 wb Lariat ,$ 4,440 to add it to a platinum, same configuration . $3800 in a King ranch. So because I want a Platinum, I am charged an extra $640. Same chassis, same configuration under the skin. I would like the bean counters to explain this. I have to stop now as this just raises the BP.

4X4 option is more on Platinum because the 4A transfer case is standard. Which doesn’t explain why it’s more on regular cab XL trucks.

Except for Maverick and Superduty, 4X4 is an expensive option with Ford across the board. Though not as bad as the Ram Classic, where 4X4 is a $7K option. Automakers are starting to take advantage of the fact that truck owners recognize that 4X4 trucks enjoy higher resale value and buyers are willing to pay more. It makes sense when it’s a couple thousand dollars more but when it’s approaching 25% of the MSRP, it’s never a good investment unless you need it. Even Chevy is charging north of $4K to add 4X4. The answer why is simply because they can!

As for the unibody vs. body on frame discussion: while the engineering behind a ladder frame truck is simpler and long figured out, it has more complicated manufacturing logistics than a unibody. When building a truck’s cab in the modern era, it’s built to nearly the same strength as a unibody to pass all the revised crash test standards. Then they have to manufacture the frame which will always cost more. Then you have the supply chain that follows it along with the storage of complete frames for warranty and repair purposes that would need a forklift to move around. With a unibody, until it’s welded together, the largest piece is going to be either the roof or floor pan depending on design which the average person or two can pick up and move. Comparing the Maverick with the Ranger, I doubt that Ford could build the Ranger for less than the Maverick. I do think that they could sell the Ranger for less though.

Honda has one of the most modern and technologically advanced AWD systems with torque vectoring and all that jazz. The 4X4 on most of the F-150s and all of the Rangers is almost the same as on a WWII Jeep. With most of these vehicles though, just like nipples on a bull, the cost and design of the 4X4/AWD version is baked into the standard FWD or RWD models before they even hit the assembly line and there’s not much more to do than adding the extra components. You can just look at the full list price of a front differential, transfer case and other assorted parts to see that Ford, GM and Ram are gouging their customers when it comes to 4X4. Especially on the regular cabs.

One of the crazy things is how adding 4X4 on the F250 cost less than on the Ranger F-150. It only makes sense when you realize that Superduty trucks are less of an emotional buying experience than the half ton and light trucks; so Ford isn’t playing games with Superduty buyers, the additional proof being that they offer upfitter switches for $175 on the base XL along with the 360° cameras. On F-150, you’re only going to get the former option with the Tremor and the latter is only XLT and up with certain additional packages on the XLT.

In late 2020, when I ordered my truck; had it had the 2023 prices. I definitely would have gotten something completely different! That being said, as crazy as new vehicle prices are; used cars and trucks are an obscenity.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
4X4 option is more on Platinum because the 4A transfer case is standard. Which doesn’t explain why it’s more on regular cab XL trucks.

Except for Maverick and Superduty, 4X4 is an expensive option with Ford across the board. Though not as bad as the Ram Classic, where 4X4 is a $7K option. Automakers are starting to take advantage of the fact that truck owners recognize that 4X4 trucks enjoy higher resale value and buyers are willing to pay more. It makes sense when it’s a couple thousand dollars more but when it’s approaching 25% of the MSRP, it’s never a good investment unless you need it. Even Chevy is charging north of $4K to add 4X4. The answer why is simply because they can!

As for the unibody vs. body on frame discussion: while the engineering behind a ladder frame truck is simpler and long figured out, it has more complicated manufacturing logistics than a unibody. When building a truck’s cab in the modern era, it’s built to nearly the same strength as a unibody to pass all the revised crash test standards. Then they have to manufacture the frame which will always cost more. Then you have the supply chain that follows it along with the storage of complete frames for warranty and repair purposes that would need a forklift to move around. With a unibody, until it’s welded together, the largest piece is going to be either the roof or floor pan depending on design which the average person or two can pick up and move. Comparing the Maverick with the Ranger, I doubt that Ford could build the Ranger for less than the Maverick. I do think that they could sell the Ranger for less though.

Honda has one of the most modern and technologically advanced AWD systems with torque vectoring and all that jazz. The 4X4 on most of the F-150s and all of the Rangers is almost the same as on a WWII Jeep. With most of these vehicles though, just like nipples on a bull, the cost and design of the 4X4/AWD version is baked into the standard FWD or RWD models before they even hit the assembly line and there’s not much more to do than adding the extra components. You can just look at the full list price of a front differential, transfer case and other assorted parts to see that Ford, GM and Ram are gouging their customers when it comes to 4X4. Especially on the regular cabs.

One of the crazy things is how adding 4X4 on the F250 cost less than on the Ranger F-150. It only makes sense when you realize that Superduty trucks are less of an emotional buying experience than the half ton and light trucks; so Ford isn’t playing games with Superduty buyers, the additional proof being that they offer upfitter switches for $175 on the base XL along with the 360° cameras. On F-150, you’re only going to get the former option with the Tremor and the latter is only XLT and up with certain additional packages on the XLT.

In late 2020, when I ordered my truck; had it had the 2023 prices. I definitely would have gotten something completely different! That being said, as crazy as new vehicle prices are; used cars and trucks are an obscenity.
Thanks on the 4A clarification . That explains the price diff on my platinum for 4x4.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
4A is also standard on the Lariat. So I don’t see how it costs more on a platinum than a lariat.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4A is also standard on the Lariat. So I don’t see how it costs more on a platinum than a lariat.
it looks like 4X4 is standard on the Platinum nowadays, was it optional before?

That was the explanation given to me over a year ago, so I’m not surprised if it’s no longer valid. Was 4A always included in the base lariat?

I know that they dropped the base XLT and now the Mid equipment group is standard.

I bet the folks at Ford are just as confused with everything and the disparity could be a vestige of what might have been in 2022.

4X4 is also standard for pretty much every F250 for the next generation. Which would almost make more sense for the F150.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer

Good luck!
No options beyond 5.0?

I paid under 40k for my 22 RCBS.

Options
3.73 w/locker
4x4
Chrome appearance
Tow
Fx4
Snow plow prep
Sync 4 w/enhanced voice and nav

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That was then and this is now.

I don’t think that you can even get the 3.73 anymore on the RCSB.

Also, this is all MSRP, so purchase price can vary.

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150
I think it’s about right given the options

Mine was below so you can see the 22 price vs 23 on some things as mine isn’t as loaded out. I did get mine for 41k though so that’s where Granger will help. I imagine you can get yours in the 48-49k range?

Ford F-150 F150 RCSB Pricing 54700532-D1BB-4B72-87A4-B36F0353F0B6

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I think it’s about right given the options

Mine was below so you can see the 22 price vs 23
on some things as mine isn’t as loaded out. I did get mine for 41k though so that’s where Granger will help. I imagine you can get yours in the 48-49k range?
That was then and this is now.

I don’t think that you can even get the 3.73 anymore on the RCSB.

Also, this is all MSRP, so purchase price can vary.
I think all the bold pretty much sums it up. It’s not like he’s paying ADM, it’s just due to all of this inflation. I doubt Ford is price gouging or marking up “too much” based on a 2b loss last year

another issue that most people don’t know about is that many suppliers charge different premiums to Ford because they’re notoriously hard to work with and supply. It’s part of the Ford culture that makes them dicks to vendors. I found myself falling into that practice also when I worked there as an engineer. I dealt with suppliers ALOT. Ford employees are INCREDIBLY demanding of their suppliers and it creates a lot of friction
Sponsored