F150 Powerboost Axle bolt sheared off

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
First, let me say I love Ford. Bleed Ford blue. Have only driven Fords for 45 years. I hate my 2021 Powerboost Lariat. My truck was one of the thousands of 2021 F150's parked with no chips last spring. A long 7 month wait ended in July 2021. We own several F150 Lariat trucks and they are spectacular. Not so with the Powerboost. Soon after picking it up I started having transmission shifting issues. Because dealer service centers were so backed up it was November before I could get in. 6 trips later the transmission is still no better but now my wipers do not work, the truck randomly does not recognize the key, and a loud grinding was coming from the rear wheels. Dealer called today and says the axle has to be replaced. The bolt holding it on is sheared and is unsafe to drive. Parts are on back order until mid to late June. After researching this several PB owners with the max tow package have experienced the same defect.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Don't we all have the same rear ends (8.8 and 9.75), or is the PB different?

tc429

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 lariat chrome 3.5 - 2022 lariat sport 3.5
Don't we all have the same rear ends (8.8 and 9.75), or is the PB different?
its all the max tow axles from what ive seen- they went back to a 1939 design "3/4 f;loat" axle, but splined it rather than taper fitted, the splines walking in its thou or two clearance, bolt gets stressed and breaks...mostly PB reports, but some 5.0 too...I think...or msaybe its all just a fine design and odd coincidence. ...
look at a hub nut/cotterpin on any even tiny FWD car holding the hub on, then look at these max tow axles little bolt...glaring difference?

Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
its all the max tow axles from what ive seen- they went back to a 1939 design "3/4 f;loat" axle, but splined it rather than taper fitted, the splines walking in its thou or two clearance, bolt gets stressed and breaks...mostly PB reports, but some 5.0 too...I think...or msaybe its all just a fine design and odd coincidence. ...
look at a hub nut/cotterpin on any even tiny FWD car holding the hub on, then look at these max tow axles little bolt...glaring difference?
wow that's unreal! great information

I've got a 9.75 diff with 3.73 gears I wonder if it's different from the max tow?

OP
OP

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
Unless it is a volume thing. It seems to be all Powerboost trucks with max tow package. I understand it is the 9.75. Probably will start showing up on all builds.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
After researching this several PB owners with the max tow package have experienced the same defect.
I hope mine doesnt start down this path, I've got the same exact build, lariat, powerboost, max tow.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Unless it is a volume thing. It seems to be all Powerboost trucks with max tow package. I understand it is the 9.75. Probably will start showing up on all builds.
max tow has different 9.75 rear.

There is a "standard" 9.75 and the "float" 9.75 on the max tow.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
First, let me say I love Ford. Bleed Ford blue. Have only driven Fords for 45 years. I hate my 2021 Powerboost Lariat. My truck was one of the thousands of 2021 F150's parked with no chips last spring. A long 7 month wait ended in July 2021. We own several F150 Lariat trucks and they are spectacular. Not so with the Powerboost. Soon after picking it up I started having transmission shifting issues. Because dealer service centers were so backed up it was November before I could get in. 6 trips later the transmission is still no better but now my wipers do not work, the truck randomly does not recognize the key, and a loud grinding was coming from the rear wheels. Dealer called today and says the axle has to be replaced. The bolt holding it on is sheared and is unsafe to drive. Parts are on back order until mid to late June. After researching this several PB owners with the max tow package have experienced the same defect.
Hi there, Michael! Go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and dealer info, I’ll look into this for you. Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
Hi there, Michael! Go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and dealer info, I’ll look into this for you. Thank you!
this must all be for show. I have not once had FMC follow thru and do anything at all. Ford could really care less about customers.

Last edited:

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
One way to tell HD 3/4" float axle from normal 9.75 axle: HD has four additional bolts on the larger axle endcap for holding on the hub and bearing, along with the two brake caliper bolts. STD ends in a small flange with just the brake caliper bolts.
Ford F-150 F150 Powerboost Axle bolt sheared off 1651703026208

It seems to be all Powerboost trucks with max tow package.
That's a good point, I don't think I've seen this from someone EB or 5.0 with MaxTow. Do PB come from only one of the factories, or both?

TN Rotty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Crew Cab Plat 6.5'

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
this must all be for show. I have not once had FMC follow thru and do anything at all. Ford could really care less about customers.
Yeah that Ford person should really be banned from these forums for trolling. I have not heard of one person they helped. They stop in copy/paste their quota and leave.

Ntsi

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 lariat Powerboost
Occupation
CTO
so I’ll repost it here. Just took my PS Max Tow in today for oil change and tire rotation and same thing. Drivers side was snapped off. They are replacing the Axel and hub as the hub was rounded out a bit. They are telling me that they will have the part next week, so I’m not sure if they are getting the part from a different place, but we will see. Luckily, the rotor/caliper/break pad don’t appear to have been damaged.

I’m at 36k miles now, almost all highway.Funny thing is when the dealership called into the Tech line, they were told they didn't Know of any problems like this, which after reading is BS. Hopefully tomorrow I will get a loaner car, because the dealership doesn’t have any. So I’m down a vehicle, and no guarantee that I will get anything to drive in the mean time.

As for pb/other platforms, I have read people with the 5.0 having the problem as well, only common thread is the Max Towing Axel.
Sponsored