Sponsored

F150 Lightning vs 2024 Chevy Silverado EV - Chevy Proves it Deserves to go Bankrupt

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 2021 F-150
Can someone actually explain to me how the lightning is the better truck other than an opinionated answer such as better looks?
My simple/short take is:

Comparing it to a decked out Lariat at 80k I am not sure if their additional tricks/features and the additional 100 range is worth the added 25k. That's about all I got.

Oh, and if you were going to spend 105k, why not just buy a hummer?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Coolbreeze704

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Occupation
Manufactured Homes
I lived in the south for nearly 30 years. The vast majority of trucks are sold to people living in HOA's using them like an SUV with a bed.

Just a little more factual backup on Hummer and Lyriq orders

https://carbuzz.com/news/demand-for-the-gmc-hummer-ev-is-huge
We'll see. That electric Silverado has to find 700k buyers a year to replace the ICE version by 2035. I bet it won't be close if GM is still even in business then. I believe Ford will distance itself from GM in truck sales even more every year moving forward.

GM's 90 year dominance as top US sales was amazing. That is history now and for lots of good reasons. I believe Ford is not living in the past and delusional. They admit the position they are in and are fighting for their lives'. Coming out with compelling products along with vertically integrated factory's in Kentucky that will allow them to make their own batteries and increase production speed and lower cost.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
We'll see. That electric Silverado has to find 700k buyers a year to replace the ICE version by 2035. I bet it won't be close if GM is still even in business then. I believe Ford will distance itself from GM in truck sales even more every year moving forward.

GM's 90 year dominance as top US sales was amazing. That is history now and for lots of good reasons. I believe Ford is not living in the past and delusional. They admit the position they are in and are fighting for their lives'. Coming out with compelling products along with vertically integrated factory's in Kentucky that will allow them to make their own batteries and increase production speed and lower cost.
GM has 2 battery facilities in Ohio and Kentucky. The Ford plant won't be completed until 2025. The GM cathode plant is supposed to be done in 2024. I'm just trying to post facts here not opinions. I'm not sure that the opinions of someone in the mobile home industry should be taken "to the bank". I, at least, was in the auto industry from 1980 until about 2000. And I'm far from being qualified to predict the future of Ford or GM.

OP
OP
Coolbreeze704

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Occupation
Manufactured Homes
GM has 2 battery facilities in Ohio and Kentucky. The Ford plant won't be completed until 2025. The GM cathode plant is supposed to be done in 2024.. I'm not sure that the opinions of someone in the mobile home industry should be taken "to the bank". I, at least, was in the auto industry from 1980 until about 2000. And I'm far from being qualified to predict the future of Ford or GM.
Funny how quick you are to judge me by a current job while you qualify yourself twice in this thread as, "I lived in the south for nearly 30 years. ", and " at least, was in the auto industry from 1980 until about 2000". So you got to see what bad looked like. Ask Sandy Munro what he thinks of the US auto industry in 1980 to 2000 and that is exactly why the US auto industry is in trouble. Gm is still stuck in the 1980's to 2000's in how they approach business. That is why Tesla makes the gross margin it does per car and GM only dreams of it.

Please don't be self righteous about sharing facts only. " I'm just trying to post facts here not opinions", "vast majority of trucks are sold to people living in HOA's and "the ev mustang is butt ugly."

Just relax and let people share their thoughts without flexing yourself all over them.

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Maybe the mods will put this in the Lightning section and I won't see it any longer. ;)

Sponsored

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
I don't think you are going to see that Electric Avalanche look alike sell to contractors, farmers and people who want a truck for utility.
In the south trucks are so important and how they look and what they are capable of is everything.
Silverado has more utility. longer range being the most important and a longer bed. but I do agree it looks hideous which will turn the traditionalist away. but those guys won't want an ev anyway.

OP
OP
Coolbreeze704

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Occupation
Manufactured Homes
Silverado has more utility. longer range being the most important and a longer bed. but I do agree it looks hideous which will turn the traditionalist away. but those guys won't want an ev anyway.
I agree with some of the stated advantages Mary Bara claims and your thoughts on them being an advantage over the Lightning but I will say I have many friends in construction that have gone from diesel to the F 150 Hybrid and are blown away with the added mileage per tank they are getting. The hybrid may be a bridge to accepting the fulling electric truck.

Landric

First Name
Landric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm shopping Ford Trucks
Occupation
Probation Officer
Electric vehicles, no matter how they look, are not going to win over the "everyman" until they cost the same or basically the same as ICE & Hybrid vehicles and have roughly the same capability. Sure, one might save a lot of money over the course of ownership on gas; but there are other costs involved in owning an electric vehicle. Additionally, one is going to have to save A LOT on gas to make up for $25k + price differences.

The same was true when hybrid vehicles were the new rage. Yes, you could get 55 MPG in a Prius over 35 MPG in a Corolla, but the Prius cost $10k more. That is a lot of gas. Now one of the cheapest new vehicles one can buy (if it can be found) is the Hybrid version of the Ford Maverick. Once that pricing happens with full electrics, they are equally capable as compared to ICE vehicles, and charging during long distance travel is reliable, I'll get one.

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
It'll sell. Someone there still likes the Avalanche sail panels. I'm not crazy about that but they knocked it out of the park with the Hummer.

Last thing we need is GM in trouble.
I never ever like the awkward look of the Avalance.Way too much plastic trim ,just ugly. Since 2018 GM hasnt offered an RCSB. Even on the RCLWBs you cant get an upgraded Z71 pkg. According to some soures a RCSB in going to ne available in 2022 but in a work truck version only

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Electric vehicles, no matter how they look, are not going to win over the "everyman" until they cost the same or basically the same as ICE & Hybrid vehicles and have roughly the same capability. Sure, one might save a lot of money over the course of ownership on gas; but there are other costs involved in owning an electric vehicle. Additionally, one is going to have to save A LOT on gas to make up for $25k + price differences.

The same was true when hybrid vehicles were the new rage. Yes, you could get 55 MPG in a Prius over 35 MPG in a Corolla, but the Prius cost $10k more. That is a lot of gas. Now one of the cheapest new vehicles one can buy (if it can be found) is the Hybrid version of the Ford Maverick. Once that pricing happens with full electrics, they are equally capable as compared to ICE vehicles, and charging during long distance travel is reliable, I'll get one.
The problem with EVs is how long it will take to charge versus just filling up the gas tank for an ICE vehicle.

To mitigate this issue, I would only consider EVs practical if they double the range of their ICE competitors before needing a recharge.

Sponsored

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
I don't think you are going to see that Electric Avalanche look alike sell to contractors, farmers and people who want a truck for utility. Going to sell to middle to high income white collar dads that want a truck to go to Home Depot/ski slopes, the dump, etc.
I’m sorry but have we met before? Because you seem to know an awful lot about me! ;-).

(maybe not the “high income” part: that 2004 Honda Element I drive isn’t as high-class as you might think!)

But I do see these vehicles becoming pretty popular even though they’re pricey. You can’t swing an empty gas can in my town without hitting a Tesla or other EV, and I looked super hard at ordering a Lightning too. But ultimately the range/charging concerns for going into the deep woods pushed me away from the EV trucks.

OP
OP
Coolbreeze704

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Occupation
Manufactured Homes
I’m sorry but have we met before? Because you seem to know an awful lot about me! ;-).

(maybe not the “high income” part: that 2004 Honda Element I drive isn’t as high-class as you might think!)

But I do see these vehicles becoming pretty popular even though they’re pricey. You can’t swing an empty gas can in my town without hitting a Tesla or other EV, and I looked super hard at ordering a Lightning too. But ultimately the range/charging concerns for going into the deep woods pushed me away from the EV trucks.

I have no doubt there are buyers for the truck. I would have one but a big issue will be the commercial sales will be lost to Ford. 200 miles plus is plenty for the average commercial user. They are marketing strongly to them.

The bigger issue is can they survive the transition from ICE to EV as the margin drop on ICE because of scale loss and investment to manufacturer EV.

PS: We have met.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
The problem with EVs is how long it will take to charge versus just filling up the gas tank for an ICE vehicle.

To mitigate this issue, I would only consider EVs practical if they double the range of their ICE competitors before needing a recharge.
Old school thinking. DC Fast Charging has taken care of this. I get from Virginia to Florida just as fast in my Tesla as in my pickup truck. Gotta stop to pee and get food. Three charges at 20-30 minutes each in 1,050 miles is all it takes. My Tesla has twice as much range as my 2021 F-150 does when it is towing, so half as many charging stops vs fueling stops.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Old school thinking. DC Fast Charging has taken care of this. I get from Virginia to Florida just as fast in my Tesla as in my pickup truck. Gotta stop to pee and get food. Three charges at 20-30 minutes each in 1,050 miles is all it takes. My Tesla has twice as much range as my 2021 F-150 does when it is towing, so half as many charging stops vs fueling stops.
Does your F150 not have the 36 gallon fuel tank?

The latest reviews of EV pickup trucks don't really bode well for their range while towing.
Sponsored