Sponsored

F150 Lightning vs 2024 Chevy Silverado EV - Chevy Proves it Deserves to go Bankrupt

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Does your F150 not have the 36 gallon fuel tank?

The latest reviews of EV pickup trucks don't really bode well for their range while towing.
Powerboost F-150's only come with 32-gallon tanks. I suppose that's because at 24 mpg in fuel-sipping hybrid mode, they can go over 700 miles. But their specs say they can tow over 11,000 pounds, and I'm towing about 9,500 pounds, and have it weighed and within specs, find that the boosted engine becomes really inefficient when tasked to its specified torque and HP limits. I've talked about this in other threads, provided pics of screens, labels, the towing rig, not repeating here, get that a super duty is a better tool (I have a couple superduties, can't use them at one of my homes), am still happy with the truck, just pointing out the reality of small-displacement, turbocharged trucks. They get EITHER great mileage by NOT using the available power, OR they get terrible mileage when using their specified capabilities. And with 5 mpg (even less on some tanks), I have 150 mile range. That's about what I expect from the Lightning, although with far fewer choices of refueling stops.
Sponsored

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Powerboost F-150's only come with 32-gallon tanks. I suppose that's because at 24 mpg in fuel-sipping hybrid mode, they can go over 700 miles. But their specs say they can tow over 11,000 pounds, and I'm towing about 9,500 pounds, and have it weighed and within specs, find that the boosted engine becomes really inefficient when tasked to its specified torque and HP limits. I've talked about this in other threads, provided pics of screens, labels, the towing rig, not repeating here, get that a super duty is a better tool (I have a couple superduties, can't use them at one of my homes), am still happy with the truck, just pointing out the reality of small-displacement, turbocharged trucks. They get EITHER great mileage by NOT using the available power, OR they get terrible mileage when using their specified capabilities. And with 5 mpg (even less on some tanks), I have 150 mile range. That's about what I expect from the Lightning, although with far fewer choices of refueling stops.
I believe the Powerboost and Powerstroke (RIP) come with 30.6 gallon tanks because other stuff takes up some of the space the 36 gallon tank would be in: for the Powerboost it’s the hybrid battery; for the Powerstroke it’s the DEF tank.

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Chevy, our country's top EV company according to the Biden administration has sold 26 EV's this month and has now released their 2024 Silverado EV renderings.

This just shows how out of touch they are with the market. Ford hit a home run by keeping it traditional look that will allow them to keep their loyal fanbase while adding new electric vehicle enthusiast that will purchase their 1st truck. This Silverado EV will cause a strong emotional split with the everyday truck user and sell more like the Avalanche. It will be pummeled by Ford with fleet sales. What a mess.

1641405983197.png
It's pretty clear that GM is still in the "gearing up" phase of their EV strategy and the actual EV tech of what they've shown is top notch. They're releasing halo vehicles at first because they don't have the scale to make EV's at the price point they need to make volume vehicles.

They will be supplying Honda with EV powertrains too. If you don't think GM is going to hit the ground running at full speed in about 12 months your bias is getting in the way. Even Ford has said a vehicle like the Lightning is not going to happen again. It's an adapted ICE truck to hit the market quickly where the Silverado EV is a ground up EV design. I like the F150, I have a 2020 and a 23 on order but the Silverado EV absolutely crushes the Lightning in any non opinion based metric. The newest of GM's show that GM is a powerhouse that's been asleep for the last decade. Blazer EV, 22 1/2 ton refreshed trucks, Silverado EV, Equinox EV. Look at their very newest designs.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Can someone actually explain to me how the lightning is the better truck other than an opinionated answer such as better looks?
For starters it actually exists.

charlesdf22

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A few Toyota’s
For starters it actually exists.
True, but I would argue that with Ford’s ongoing supply issues, it barely exists. I think the true test will be in a couple years when we see a few different manufacturers on the road. Demand doesn’t mean anything if you can’t deliver, and with Ford slowly stripping things away that people want for pittances and withholding delivery due to badging and sticker shortages, it’s not looking terribly great.

That said, I’m hoping on the Lightning due to being first to market and their seemed vision for the product. It’s a shame that they are struggling to execute and couldn’t shore up their supply chains, knowing that this was looming for years.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
True, but I would argue that with Ford’s ongoing supply issues, it barely exists. I think the true test will be in a couple years when we see a few different manufacturers on the road. Demand doesn’t mean anything if you can’t deliver, and with Ford slowly stripping things away that people want for pittances and withholding delivery due to badging and sticker shortages, it’s not looking terribly great.

That said, I’m hoping on the Lightning due to being first to market and their seemed vision for the product. It’s a shame that they are struggling to execute and couldn’t shore up their supply chains, knowing that this was looming for years.
I may be biased. At this stage in their evolution I have zero desire for an all electric truck. The lightning was rushed to market with compromises and in a terrible supply environment. I suspect gen2 lightning will be a true ground up EV.

The Cyber truck is just too gimmicky for my taste. I don't want to be Mad Max or look like I'm trying to be. I've visited the Tesla fan boy sites, the Cyber truck enthusiasts are primarily not even current truck owners. They put down a $100 refundable deposit to buy a 2021 $35,000 truck. Now it's maybe 2023 and $50k. They'll sell a bunch no doubt but not to even 10% of the current deposit makers. They are just dreamers...and giving Musk an interest free loan without knowing it.
Sponsored

Last edited: