• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
can't believe you still have to put a key in a hole in 2022. shouldn't push start be standard by now?
I think they made a mistake on that part of the presentation. There is no need for a physical key to start the vehicle. On top of that all Mach-E’s come standard with push button, which also isn’t needed in an EV.
Sponsored

JPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Rebar Detailer/Estimator
I think they made a mistake on that part of the presentation. There is no need for a physical key to start the vehicle. On top of that all Mach-E’s come standard with push button, which also isn’t needed in an EV.
All Mach E's also come with a 15" touchscreen and don't have a "work" version.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
All Mach E's also come with a 15" touchscreen and don't have a "work" version.
While this is true, the F150 doesn’t need the 15” screen the 12” works perfectly and the Mach-E is built from the ground up. The 15” is just a gimmick to get you to move up.

The push button is useless, they should just get rid of it completely

Edit: Although you still need keys for the lockable storage, so ok makes sense lol

Last edited:

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
I believe it was covered in another livestream that yes you are able to do that. It also works while driving.
I believe it uses the same inverter as the ICE F-150 for that power feed, so it should be able to provide power while charging.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I would rather have a traditional key rather than push button start. The key makes the truck harder to steal. And yes, I know, if someone wants it, they will take it.
The opposite is true - physically keyed vehicles are far easier to steal than those started via electronic passcodes and fobs.

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
The opposite is true - physically keyed vehicles are far easier to steal than those started via electronic passcodes and fobs.
But don’t keyed vehicles have immobilizers so that the car will not start if the key will not handshake with the ignition? I know I had a key that fit my car, but inadvertently left the factory without being programmed. Could turn the key, the engine would crank, but would not start.

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX
Occupation
Engineer
Just wish Ford would finally add leather as an option to the XLT trim. The only features of the Lariat I really want are cosmetic - leather seats and wrap around head/tail lights. Hard to justify the Lariat extended range cost, but don’t want to “settle” on a $60K XLT.

Need the extended range as 230 mile range is just to low for me.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Having a physical key inserted is likely more expensive for them to put in, but would get a lot of people to move up to the next trim just to get that. If the vehicle has proximity unlocking (dont have to use the fob or key to open the door) than the physical key to start would cost more.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
⮑Moderator: Your order window will be determined based on when you made your reservation and your position in line at your dealership.
Before I switched my dealer, I asked Ford if this will push me back in line and they said no my delivery time will not be impacted.

That works out to be 2.3KWh/mile. Rivian is 135KWh with 314...so that works out to be 2.33 KWh/mile.
It is late here and I must be doing something wrong. At 13c per KWh Lightening cost me 30c per mile. A 20 mpg ICE at $3.0 per gallon cost me 15c per mile. What am I doing wrong here? Can EV cost me twice as much as ICE?

Does anyone knows
Is the scale standard on Pro or is it part of a package?
No cloth seat option for Pro?

Viper GTS

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 M3P, 2005 GX470
Occupation
God
Before I switched my dealer, I asked Ford if this will push me back in line and they said no my delivery time will not be impacted.

It is late here and I must be doing something wrong. At 13c per KWh Lightening cost me 30c per mile. A 20 mpg ICE at $3.0 per gallon cost me 15c per mile. What am I doing wrong here? Can EV cost me twice as much as ICE?

Does anyone knows
Your ICE math is correct. I think what you're doing on BEV math is inverting the 2.3mi/kwh that has been floating around. If you get 2.3 mi/kwh your cost per mile is your cost per kwh/2.3, not your cost per kwh*2.3. So ~$0.057/mile.

Sponsored

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
Here is a link to a video of a guy reviewing the Lightning Pro. He presses a button next to the steering column to turn the car “on” so he can view the screen. He also holds up a key fob.

Ford F-150 Lightning F150 Lightning Livestream (12/16) – Q&A, Specs & Infographics C684F6D5-D0B5-4AFC-B512-998A94408BA5

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)

Does anyone knows

I'll go correct my own quote,,should be 2.3 mi/KwH---so maybe 3-6 cents per mile at normal home electricity rates...

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Here is a link to a video of a guy reviewing the Lightning Pro. He presses a button next to the steering column to turn the car “on” so he can view the screen. He also holds up a key fob.

C684F6D5-D0B5-4AFC-B512-998A94408BA5.jpeg
There's a reason why these are called "preproduction" vehicles. Any number of factors could have been involved in their decision to remove the push button.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Preproduction so they likely removed it. I wouldnt be surprised if the reason was to strip the Pro down to be more inconvenient for a regular person to use so they step up to the next trim instead of getting the Pro. Employers don't care how workers have to start the vehicle as long as I meets their price range.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I don’t get the obsession with push button or lack of a button. EVs that are mostly a tablet with wheels, freak me out. My tablet is more in charge than I am. It has a personality disorder and every update is a crapshoot that may break any number of apps. One of the things I like about Pro is that it feels more like a truck with electronics than a smartphone with wheels. That key gives me the illusion of control. Just enjoy it because it may be the last truck you can get with one.
Sponsored